First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT, 22 Maverick XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So when the motor is cold and you apply even the slightest pressure on the gas pedal you can hear what sounds like spark knock. When it's warmed up it sounds normal. My 2.0L eco Maverick sounds the same. Are these lil motors that noisy or is there something else going on? I only use 93 Octane fuel. Now that my wife works from home the Bronco doesn't get driven but maybe once every two to three weeks.
Sponsored

Forditude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0 5* Tuned, GX470 Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Same - my dealer told me itā€™s probably piston slap and itā€™s ā€œnormalā€ I only run 93 octane as well. Iā€™m thinking itā€™s LSPI - Iā€™m switching dealers to get a better diagnosis.

OP
OP
22MavXLT

22MavXLT

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT, 22 Maverick XLT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I figured someone on here would know. I have never even heard of "piston slap". No matter how you look at it, that don't sound "normal".

Forditude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0 5* Tuned, GX470 Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe I will have better words when the other dealer gets a chance to look at it - they have been great so far. Will post if I find out anything useful

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I figured someone on here would know. I have never even heard of "piston slap". No matter how you look at it, that don't sound "normal".
Piston slap is a sound generated by the piston rocking in its bore and is more common on a high mileage worn engine. Pistons are aluminum and grow more than iron when they heat up so the clearance closes up as the engine warms up. Turbo engines put an extreme amount of heat into the pistons so therefore they have larger clearances within the bore. On top of that engineers use loose tolerances and piston pin offset to increase fuel efficiency.
Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s what youā€™re hearing but possible.​

Sponsored

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think these motors are just noisy overall. Honestly after 2 years Iā€™m still not 100% used to it. Mine makes the same noise when itā€™s cold out, but always goes away once warm. 65,000km and no issues

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When the 5.0 in my 98 Explorer was replaced under warranty in 2000. The new engine was noisier than the original and we were so concerned that we had contact with a Ford rep. He said the engine was sourced from the new assembly line and had been revamped for better fuel economy and the tolerances and pistons had been changed. To relieve our worry, they gave us a 100k powertrain warranty. It lasted over 300k miles and still runs today, though leaks from every seal and gasket lol. It didnā€™t perform as well as the original but fuel mileage went from 14 to 19, and during that time we were happy for the better mileage.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The cam phasers are notoriously loud on these engines as well. There are a bunch of threads about it.
Sponsored