Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yep, thats what they were! They don't show any sign of lean out...which is good. The amount of red oxide on em from only 10k leads me to believe they are a tad warm for the amount of boost I'm getting. Think the NGK 6510s are a good call at this point!

20230623_072958.jpg

20230623_073034.jpg

20230623_073022.jpg
Have you been using any kind of octane booster? I thought I remember those usually causing a lot of red oxide. I could be wrong though
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you been using any kind of octane booster? I thought I remember those usually causing a lot of red oxide. I could be wrong though
Haha...you caught me!
Ford Bronco Colder spark plugs for 2.3? 20230520_154427

I use it in my 455 olds, and my harleys also...yep thats what it does. Only been using it while playing w/higher boost settings on the jb4. I think I have found a setup that will work fine on pump 93 now tho. Have water/meth installed too

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sooo... What is this cold spark plug thing about? 🤔

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Haha...you caught me!
Ford Bronco Colder spark plugs for 2.3? 20230520_154427

I use it in my 455 olds, and my harleys also...yep thats what it does. Only been using it while playing w/higher boost settings on the jb4. I think I have found a setup that will work fine on pump 93 now tho. Have water/meth installed too
lol ahh that makes sense. I also bought a water/meth kit, haven't had time to install it yet though.

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sooo... What is this cold spark plug thing about? 🤔
My understanding is that when you run a tune that affects ignition and fuel mapping you should also adjust detonation parameters physically with the spark plug. A colder spark plug has a shorter/smaller insulator to counteract the engine itself running slightly warmer due to your tune's beefier output.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding is that when you run a tune that affects ignition and fuel mapping you should also adjust detonation parameters physically with the spark plug. A colder spark plug has a shorter/smaller insulator to counteract the engine itself running slightly warmer due to your tune's beefier output.
This would be something you'd to do if you got the Ford Performance tune? Do you know if anything else is recommended?

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This would be something you'd to do if you got the Ford Performance tune? Do you know if anything else is recommended?
I haven't investigated Ford's tune much but I'm sure it lists all requirements and instructions so that you can stay under the factory warranty!

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't for Ford performance tune. Added JB4 and water/meth, that's why I am switching to colder now. More boost=more cylinder pressure=higher detonation risk. Higher octane+boost cooling through water/meth+colder spark plug=reduced detonation risk. Just how you try to balance the forces of nature out when tuning

8ronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
23k miles - stock plugs. Lots of mods. Running at 25 psi peak boost for the past couple of months. Switched these out today for the NGK 6510. I had noticed a slightly higher idle lately after pushing the engine pretty hard with the stock plugs in terms of idling at high 800s low 900s so maybe the new plugs will help get idle back down to normal. I gapped the new plugs at 0.026 per Panda, though, as someone mentioned on another thread, most ecoboost people say 0.028 is the way to roll.

Stock plugs were all gapped at 0.30 when they came out.

Just took her out for a test drive - warm idle is back down to low 800s and noticeably more pep with the new plugs...
Ford Bronco Colder spark plugs for 2.3? 20230624_180328
Ford Bronco Colder spark plugs for 2.3? 20230624_180336

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
23k miles - stock plugs. Lots of mods. Running at 25 psi peak boost for the past couple of months. Switched these out today for the NGK 6510. I had noticed a slightly higher idle lately after pushing the engine pretty hard with the stock plugs in terms of idling at high 800s low 900s so maybe the new plugs will help get idle back down to normal. I gapped the new plugs at 0.026 per Panda, though, as someone mentioned on another thread, most ecoboost people say 0.028 is the way to roll.

Stock plugs were all gapped at 0.30 when they came out.

Just took her out for a test drive - warm idle is back down to low 800s and noticeably more pep with the new plugs...
20230624_180328.jpg
20230624_180336.jpg
I gapped my NGKs to .028 per what was the common consensus among EB owners. I asked Panda why they gapped at .026 but never received a response. I felt .026 was just on the threshold of being too small of a gap considering the boost pressure the ProCal and JB4 combo was putting me at.

What mods are you running? I’m contemplating going the water+meth route but haven’t jumped that far yet. Outside of that and downpipes I’ve about done everything available for the EB.

Sponsored

8ronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I gapped my NGKs to .028 per what was the common consensus among EB owners. I asked Panda why they gapped at .026 but never received a response. I felt .026 was just on the threshold of being too small of a gap considering the boost pressure the ProCal and JB4 combo was putting me at.

What mods are you running? I’m contemplating going the water+meth route but haven’t jumped that far yet. Outside of that and downpipes I’ve about done everything available for the EB.
I saw your post asking Panda about the .026 vs .028 - it was strange that they didn't answer...

2.3 MT with: K&N CAI, K&N hot and cold side pipes, CPE intercooler, muffler delete, Pedal Commander, Ford Procal, and JB4.

You may be right about the .028 gap - maybe someone else or Panda can advise if there is a reason to go with the .026 specifically for the Bronco...

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don’t know the reasoning for .026, but I saw that’s what they recommended and that’s what mine have been at for 10k miles. No issues

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So the JB4 tune on top of ford Procal is no issue? Anyone run that for a lot of miles with an aggressive mapping? I know you can revert back to stock from Procal. Can this still be done with JB4 on top?

spuddy59

Base
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So the JB4 tune on top of ford Procal is no issue? Anyone run that for a lot of miles with an aggressive mapping? I know you can revert back to stock from Procal. Can this still be done with JB4 on top?
Correct. I’ve run mine about 3k-ish miles with the ProCal and JB4 on Map 2 on top.

I saw your post asking Panda about the .026 vs .028 - it was strange that they didn't answer...

2.3 MT with: K&N CAI, K&N hot and cold side pipes, CPE intercooler, muffler delete, Pedal Commander, Ford Procal, and JB4.

You may be right about the .028 gap - maybe someone else or Panda can advise if there is a reason to go with the .026 specifically for the Bronco...
Nice! I’m running much the same, minus the K&N CAI and pipes. I left the stock air box with a Whipple filter in it. I’m leaning towards the Injen kit once some folks run them for a bit. Do the hot and cold pipes make much of a difference with the CPe Intercooler?

I don’t know the reasoning for .026, but I saw that’s what they recommended and that’s what mine have been at for 10k miles. No issues
I agree, everything I saw when doing research regarding the EB is that .026 to .030 seems to work fine for most applications. Maybe that’s why most landed at the sweet spot of .027-.028?

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I run JB4 map 3 and the procal, runs great. Probably the last 5k miles with both. JB4 doesn’t affect procal at all. Both can be removed whenever.
Sponsored