Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve read a few threads on here on replacing the speakers in our broncos. Seems like a few options out there. I’m going to order soon and would love the different options and characteristics listed here. What did you use for the dash (2 sides and center)? What did you use for the rear pods? The kick panels? Sub?
How do they sound to you- are they bright, natural, boomy, etc.
Also- do they fit without modifications to the bronco or speaker?
There are a few threads about installing them so that’s not needed here. Any help greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just had this done a week ago.

I have a Big Bend with the standard speakers so no center speaker. I visited a few different places and got a bunch of different ideas. Here is what I did and why...

1. Kicker Key Amps are key!!! Just not enough power in the head unit so I highly recommend this. Because this is essentially a convertible, you will need it and the Key 200 powers the speakers really well.

2. Fronts and Pillar - Alpine S40s. Since its only a 4" speaker, getting higher end ones for me were not going to be an ROI. Reasonably priced. They are definitely loud and clear... but not as bright as if you got component speakers. With the Kicker Key amp.. it's impressive.

3. Kick Panel - Went with Alpine R 6.5" Could've stayed with the R series but it wasn't that much more so I upgraded to next level . Again, with Kicker Key, it's a million times better. Loud, clear, and mids sound good. You can spend double and get incrementally better but I stopped here and happy with it.

4. Subwoofer - This is where I messed up. I like bass but got too much of it now. Bought 2 shallow downfire 12" subs. I am taking up trunk space. I didn't want to put any powered amps under the 2nd row b/c I knew I would eventually have to fold seats down. Thought about buying the B&O sub enclosure and taking out the sub and replacing it, but the labor to do that was crazy and it's a 10" sub. At the time I wanted a 12". I used 2 Kicker 12" RT because it's shallow and DVC. OVERKILL. I put the 2 Kicker Mono Amps that power them in the compartment below the trunk. Honestly an 8" or 10" sub will do the trick but I recommend downfire since the convertible is not the most ideal to point a sub up.

So my system sounds loud and clear with the top down. Drowns out everything. If you got the means, the speakers are a great idea to upgrade but the Kicker Key amp will truly be the difference maker. You can see posts about this on the forum for more info.

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve read a few threads on here on replacing the speakers in our broncos. Seems like a few options out there. I’m going to order soon and would love the different options and characteristics listed here. What did you use for the dash (2 sides and center)? What did you use for the rear pods? The kick panels? Sub?
How do they sound to you- are they bright, natural, boomy, etc.
Also- do they fit without modifications to the bronco or speaker?
There are a few threads about installing them so that’s not needed here. Any help greatly appreciated!
After watching countless youtube vids, I'm going with 4" Kicker KS's for the dash and rear pods, 6.5's in the kicker panels, and an Infinity BassLink Mini sub under the driver's seat. Will Forscan the rear pods and put bass blockers on the dash speakers. Since my local BestBuy won't touch the new Bronco, I'm gonna install myself. Seems simple enough (yeah, right!). :oops:

Also of note, I see a lot of folks keeping the 6.5's since they are slightly better quality than the 4"s.

The crutchfield box just showed up today. Hoping the metra harnesses are plug and play all around. I'll let you know my results.

KeithK

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I did 4" and 6.5" Rockford Forsgate speakers with the typical boom mats for dash, polyfil and dynamats for the floor and rear pods. Kicker key 200.4 amp and a Kicker HS8 powered subwoofer velcroed to the trunk rubber mat. Very happy in my 4 door, soft top Big Bend!

PS: I used the @Plugnplaykit harness for the amp and subwoofer to put it all together.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just received the plugnplaykits harness and Kicker 200.4 amp. I was looking at installing 6.5” components in the front rather than the 6.5” and 4” speakers. Unless there isn’t enough midrange making it’s way from the 6.5” to my ears I would think the components would sound better and not be as forward sounding as a full range speaker on the dashboard.

Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So far I’ve only swapped the front dash with kicker ks using the metra 72-5600 which worked well. Highs and voices are slightly improved. Still sounds a bit muddy in the midbass to me. I might add 150hz blockers. No plans to swap the 6.5’s.

Next up: kicker key 200.4. expecting a lot from it as I believe the head unit is putting out trash

Follow up: smaller sub like a hideaway or kicker down firing sub and enclosure

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So far I’ve only swapped the front dash with kicker ks using the metra 72-5600 which worked well. Highs and voices are slightly improved. Still sounds a bit muddy in the midbass to me. I might add 150hz blockers. No plans to swap the 6.5’s.

Next up: kicker key 200.4. expecting a lot from it as I believe the head unit is putting out trash

Follow up: smaller sub like a hideaway or kicker down firing sub and enclosure
Your stock speakers must have had different connectors than mine?

1653259977381.png

72-5600 on left, stock connector on right. They don't fit.