Sponsored

Aftermarket replacement speaker suggestion?

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the Audio Control LC 5 1300 amp installed and replaced the speakers with the Kicker CS series speakers. I'm afraid they can't handle the amp and am looking to replace them with another option. The amp puts out 100 watts per channel @ 4 ohms. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if you replaced the 4" speaker in the rear with a 6 ½" speaker, please let me know what you used.
Sponsored

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Power isn't really what kills speakers, distortion is. You'll probably rarely use full power, and even then it is in peaks, which isn't damaging.

JBL used to only require you to cut an inch square out of the cone to send back for warranty but we would plug them into a wall socket just to watch them die. It's something like 4000w at 60hz. Subs would last 20 seconds or so but you could plug a 6" in and due to the impedance at low frequencies they would often last 5 minutes or more before smoking.

Now, granted, the amp is a pretty high quality unit so you'd be better served buying higher end stuff like some Focal separates or something of the like, but I wouldn't throw the kickers out of bed until you're certain you could do better and they just aren't working for you.

TLDR- Us guys running cheap amps like the Key are probably going to blow our speakers before you.

tshort

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2Dr, Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Base
What is "this guy"?
Sponsored