Sponsored

Squeaking Top is driving me nuts, please help!

HalieT

Outer Banks
First Name
Halie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2022 4 door, got it in Aug last year. After a couple months we noticed the back passenger side squeaking. I have complained to our dealership we bought it from, they submit the complaint to ford and then have to do what they say to fix the problem. So far they have fixed all the latches on the tops, something about spacers by the taillights which the dealership knew wouldn’t work. We have submitted these videos showing the problem and we have literally gotten no where. The dealership is saying ford is at a loss on what to do. They haven’t even actually taken off the part and inspected where the squeaking is coming from because ford hasn’t told them to do so. I don’t plan on taking the back part off and I don’t want to and ruin something and the warranty be voided out. I just don’t know what to do. I’ll post a video where the noise happens, and it happens whether the 3 tops or on or off. Also we have just over 5,000 miles in it. Any advice would help.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I saw something in the Lite Bright you tube channel where they put a towel or something to tighten up the panels and stop the squeaking on theirl trip to the Arctic circle.

OP
OP
HalieT

HalieT

Outer Banks
First Name
Halie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

OP
OP
HalieT

HalieT

Outer Banks
First Name
Halie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I saw something in the Lite Bright you tube channel where they put a towel or something to tighten up the panels and stop the squeaking on theirl trip to the Arctic circle.
I watched the video and where their noise was coming from was the front panels. I’m not sure that will help us. Ford issued to replace all the latches which we have gotten that done, no help. Ours is the very back portion. And I don’t want to shove a towel there and have it there all the time. I paid good money and it shouldn’t be making the noise in the first place. I wish ford would actually watch the video and come up with a solution rather than say sorry can’t help.
Thanks for the response though!

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 2022 4 door, got it in Aug last year. After a couple months we noticed the back passenger side squeaking. I have complained to our dealership we bought it from, they submit the complaint to ford and then have to do what they say to fix the problem. So far they have fixed all the latches on the tops, something about spacers by the taillights which the dealership knew wouldn’t work. We have submitted these videos showing the problem and we have literally gotten no where. The dealership is saying ford is at a loss on what to do. They haven’t even actually taken off the part and inspected where the squeaking is coming from because ford hasn’t told them to do so. I don’t plan on taking the back part off and I don’t want to and ruin something and the warranty be voided out. I just don’t know what to do. I’ll post a video where the noise happens, and it happens whether the 3 tops or on or off. Also we have just over 5,000 miles in it. Any advice would help.
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Sponsored

darkscion0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you know if they did the other 2 fixes? One is to lubricate the alignment pins on the hard top and the other is the adjust something with the back quarter as the hardtop was riding too low and possibly rubbing something. Both of these issues have tech service bulletins posted.

I personally fixed my squeak issue by wrapping hockey/grip tape around the alignment pins on both the panels and the hardtop.

I watched the video and where their noise was coming from was the front panels. I’m not sure that will help us. Ford issued to replace all the latches which we have gotten that done, no help. Ours is the very back portion. And I don’t want to shove a towel there and have it there all the time. I paid good money and it shouldn’t be making the noise in the first place. I wish ford would actually watch the video and come up with a solution rather than say sorry can’t help.
Thanks for the response though!

MikeOU

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 4Runner TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
HalieT

HalieT

Outer Banks
First Name
Halie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you know if they did the other 2 fixes? One is to lubricate the alignment pins on the hard top and the other is the adjust something with the back quarter as the hardtop was riding too low and possibly rubbing something. Both of these issues have tech service bulletins posted.

I personally fixed my squeak issue by wrapping hockey/grip tape around the alignment pins on both the panels and the hardtop.
Yes they have done both of these already, nothing has helped as of yet.

williamshafer

Black Diamond
First Name
William Shafer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Saw someone put heartstrink on the pins and that resolved the issue. Cheap and easy fix.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ok, there are three possible locations this noise is coming from. I have had all three, and they are all documented well in this post I made over a year ago.

Squeak coming from Cargo Area - Fixed ✅ | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

1. Hardtop rubbing on rear fender (or sometimes rear fender rubbing on tail lights) - There is a TSB for this one, and it sounds like your deaer already tried to adjust for this one. Documented on post 1 of the thread above.

2. Hardtop lift glass window, weatherstripping rubbing and squeaking on tailgate. This one sounds more like a case of water bottles squeaking in the back than the chirpy sound you posted. But this one is easy to diagnose, lift the glass window and drive around. If the squeak stopped, you know it was the lift gate. You need to clean this weatherstripping seal, and apply Krytox lube every so often.

3. Mounting bracket on rear hardtop clamshell is loose. Page 5 of the thread I linked above has some great info on this one. There were several of us that found the same exact screw on the hardtop mounting bracket to be loose, and letting the bracket have some flex and squeak against the frame. I think this is likely your problem. Here is a pic of mine, I had to tightly wrap some electric tape around the exposed screw threads, as my screw was stripped and would not fully seat.

Ford Bronco Squeaking Top is driving me nuts, please help! 1690897899803

You mention you dont want to remove rear hardtop clamshell because of warranty concerns? The roof is meant to come off, including the rear clamshell. Its easy, no worries! You will need to remove it to inspect this bracket.

Good Luck! The squeaking is unbearable.

OP
OP
HalieT

HalieT

Outer Banks
First Name
Halie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok, there are three possible locations this noise is coming from. I have had all three, and they are all documented well in this post I made over a year ago.

Squeak coming from Cargo Area - Fixed ✅ | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

1. Hardtop rubbing on rear fender (or sometimes rear fender rubbing on tail lights) - There is a TSB for this one, and it sounds like your deaer already tried to adjust for this one. Documented on post 1 of the thread above.

2. Hardtop lift glass window, weatherstripping rubbing and squeaking on tailgate. This one sounds more like a case of water bottles squeaking in the back than the chirpy sound you posted. But this one is easy to diagnose, lift the glass window and drive around. If the squeak stopped, you know it was the lift gate. You need to clean this weatherstripping seal, and apply Krytox lube every so often.

3. Mounting bracket on rear hardtop clamshell is loose. Page 5 of the thread I linked above has some great info on this one. There were several of us that found the same exact screw on the hardtop mounting bracket to be loose, and letting the bracket have some flex and squeak against the frame. I think this is likely your problem. Here is a pic of mine, I had to tightly wrap some electric tape around the exposed screw threads, as my screw was stripped and would not fully seat.

Ford Bronco Squeaking Top is driving me nuts, please help! 1690897899803

You mention you dont want to remove rear hardtop clamshell because of warranty concerns? The roof is meant to come off, including the rear clamshell. Its easy, no worries! You will need to remove it to inspect this bracket.

Good Luck! The squeaking is unbearable.
Thank you for the info. I will definitely be looking into this!! Appreciate it so much!

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Krytox by Chemours GPL 204... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWLDCKA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

If it’s the window rubbing against the rubber seal this 204 or 205 previously mentioned will stop the squeak. It’ll also work for the front panel pins if they are making noise.
The Krytox worked for my front panels squeaking. Tried the heat shrink tubing over the pins but it wore through that in a day. So far the Krytox has worked for several weeks now. You would think Ford would have those locating pins going into a rubber grommet instead of just into a metal hole.
Sponsored