First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has anyone else who has put a bigger spare on their Bronco experienced a squeak or rattle in their tailgate? I have the HammerBuilt tailgate reinforcement on mine and I’m still hearing something.
Sponsored

TEAMSLO

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco 2.7 4d Oxford White & 22' JLURD
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I did when I mounted a 37 temporarily on the oem tire carrier. I tried this special pricey grease on window seals and it didn't work, I now have the turnoffroad tailgate reinforcement and tire carrier and no squeeks.

Now if only I could get rid of the damn rattle out of the driver side.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I haven't modified mine at all, but have had issues with squeaks from the tailgate when driving off road. I posted something about it a year and a half ago. My solution has been to stick a small towel in between the window and tailgate whenever I'm off road. Since I always air down the tires, I put the towel in place as I'm putting my 4-tire inflator/deflator system away, then I remove it when I air back up. That solved my problem.

This probably is not the solution you were looking for, but at least it works reliably.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A few places the squeak can be coming from back there.

Lithium Grease fix:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ick-issue-fix-tsb-23-2163.81786/#post-2053829

Spare tire bumper fix:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/you-need-this-if-you-change-your-wheels.85245/

Weatherstripping / Hardtop door fix (a more permanent way of doing Scott's towel idea from above):
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/squeak-coming-from-cargo-area-fixed-✅.42254/page-7#post-1982528

You already have a reinforcement, so I'll leave that fix out of this.

For me, the weatherstripping fixed 90% of my squeaks back there, and I just recently fixed my bump stops and that seems to have taken care of the rest of them. Ahh.. the sound of silence. At least until the next rattle pops up.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Has anyone else who has put a bigger spare on their Bronco experienced a squeak or rattle in their tailgate? I have the HammerBuilt tailgate reinforcement on mine and I’m still hearing something.
Hi Cory! I can look into your Bronco's noise concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?
Sponsored