Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I cringe when I hear the prices to get PPF quotes. I will not be going that route.
I have been looking online at different films and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the other brands beside Xpel. For around 80 bucks I can get xpel for what I'm wanting to cover as far as paint protection. I see there are brands like 3M and Xpel > or something like that are online for slightly cheaper.

I have had terrible luck with throwing rocks. I have touched up painted about 6 paint chips, and It got old fast.
Touch up paint, sand, buff, compound and polish. every damn time. 80 bucks does not sound bad.
But the miser in me is always trying to pinch that penny.
Sponsored

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I cringe when I hear the prices to get PPF quotes. I will not be going that route.
I have been looking online at different films and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the other brands beside Xpel. For around 80 bucks I can get xpel for what I'm wanting to cover as far as paint protection. I see there are brands like 3M and Xpel > or something like that are online for slightly cheaper.

I have had terrible luck with throwing rocks. I have touched up painted about 6 paint chips, and It got old fast.
Touch up paint, sand, buff, compound and polish. every damn time. 80 bucks does not sound bad.
But the miser in me is always trying to pinch that penny.
I'm planning the same project. Just sourced some 3M film on amazon, it's pretty cheap for the coverage you get.

out of curiosity, what areas have you decided to cover? I was waiting to get some more data on paint chip patterns, but seems to vary based on tires, flares, etc. I'm going to start with the obvious places:
- front of hood
- strip under grill
- lead part of quarters beyond wheels

Was trying to avoid completely wrapping the vehicle but if the doors are going to hammered all over it may be worth doing the whole thing.

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with the Xpel pre cut wear and tear kit for:

Door edge guards
Door handle cups
Rockers (lower section of doors)

and a universal kit for door sills

I’m installing sliders/steps that should help with rock chips. The rocker pieces from the wear and tear kit could be longer so may be worth going with the separate kit for rockers as it provides more coverage.

https://www.xpel.com/paint-protecti...ht-Trucks/2021/Ford/Bronco/4-Door/Outer-Banks

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm planning the same project. Just sourced some 3M film on amazon, it's pretty cheap for the coverage you get.

out of curiosity, what areas have you decided to cover? I was waiting to get some more data on paint chip patterns, but seems to vary based on tires, flares, etc. I'm going to start with the obvious places:
- front of hood
- strip under grill
- lead part of quarters beyond wheels

Was trying to avoid completely wrapping the vehicle but if the doors are going to hammered all over it may be worth doing the whole thing.
I've been using the 3M from Amazon. Hood, pillars, lower grill, top of roof line, door jam and top left of tailgate.

Looked at the pre-cuts but still plan to use the 3M. The above have been fairly simple, just go slow.... I plan to install rock slider with pwr steps so I may just do the lower doors.

The grill, headlights and mirrors will be the most difficult... Saving them for last.

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been using the 3M from Amazon. Hood, pillars, lower grill, top of roof line, door jam and top left of tailgate.

Looked at the pre-cuts but still plan to use the 3M. The above have been fairly simple, just go slow.... I plan to install rock slider with pwr steps so I may just do the lower doors.

The grill, headlights and mirrors will be the most difficult... Saving them for last.
Cool. If you have any pictures and keep us posted on your project it would be very helpful! The pre-cuts I assume are the ones from the kit on the ford website?

Sponsored

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Cool. If you have any pictures and keep us posted on your project it would be very helpful! The pre-cuts I assume are the ones from the kit on the ford website?
Ford is not your only source for precut.
Ford Bronco Suggestions on DIY Self PPF Screenshot_20211220-112437_Chrome

Kekov721

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got a PPF quote today- just for the complete coverage of the 4 doors-$1999. And that was for precut panels of ppf.

gonna hold off on that. My game plan is to go with some good rockslider/running boards prob the zroadz’s (the only one out there Ive seen that hugs the body so you dont see the mounting-pin holes), and will protect at minimum the bottom of the doors.

I really dont want mudflaps…

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what I was thinking to do. Just the rocker panels.
2,000 miles in and the only place I have any chips is in this area. Strangely only on passenger side so far.
Ford Bronco Suggestions on DIY Self PPF C0C60F38-52DB-40C3-8336-05905BA0A041
Ford Bronco Suggestions on DIY Self PPF 9F9C42FE-574A-4989-B3E4-7556791FE073
Ford Bronco Suggestions on DIY Self PPF CD4249D5-05EC-405D-A6BF-1D625884FA76
Sponsored