Sponsored

Sunrider for hardtop accessory is crazy noisy! Is this normal?

BroncoBets

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Navigator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I picked up the Sunrider for hardtop accessory from my dealer this weekend. I was shocked how loud it is when driving on the highway with it closed.

There is A LOT of wind noise coming from between the windshield and the Sunrider top, though I can't feel any actual air coming through so it seems to be sealing correctly. It is MUCH louder than the factory hard top panels. It sounds like you're inside of a wind tunnel once you hit 65+ mph. Passengers have to yell to each other. I measured the decibel level using a meter on my phone and it was between 90 and 95 decibels when held near the roof. About 85 decibels when held at the steering wheel. I've contacted Bestop (the manufacturer) but no response yet.

Is anyone else with the Sunrider top experiencing this level of noise? I'm trying to figure out if I have a faulty unit or something.
Sponsored

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sounds like something is wrong. I’m pretty sure with top off at 80mph my interior isn’t 90 decibels.

gkellys

Black Diamond
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Jk, 2017 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hopefully it gets worked out by Bestop. If I ever get BD, it was high in the upgrade list. i have one on a Wrangler. It added no wind noise. Something in the application design, or installation is wrong. Keep us posted please.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

yup it is loud.... I made adjustments. I pushed some tubing in the weatherseal and the corners especially. then I adjust the strike latches as well. This makes it a little tougher to latch the top but it got rid of wind noise and water instrustion. it's still loud though. sometimes it feels quieter with the top open

Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The one I had on my jeep was crazy loud too - I was an early adopter and had to do a lot of finagling with it. Crazy thing is, the best top full soft top (I have twill) is crazy quiet. You’d think that they’re using the same design for the header seal and latches?

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I picked up the Sunrider for hardtop accessory from my dealer this weekend. I was shocked how loud it is when driving on the highway with it closed.

There is A LOT of wind noise coming from between the windshield and the Sunrider top, though I can't feel any actual air coming through so it seems to be sealing correctly. It is MUCH louder than the factory hard top panels. It sounds like you're inside of a wind tunnel once you hit 65+ mph. Passengers have to yell to each other. I measured the decibel level using a meter on my phone and it was between 90 and 95 decibels when held near the roof. About 85 decibels when held at the steering wheel. I've contacted Bestop (the manufacturer) but no response yet.

Is anyone else with the Sunrider top experiencing this level of noise? I'm trying to figure out if I have a faulty unit or something.
I have one installed on my 4DR Badlands and it is loud at highway speed.

WVBaptist

Wildtrak
First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak High - Cyber Orange
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 2022 Wildrak with a hard top I bought the best top sunrider and installed immediately after I purchased the vehicle. I like it a lot, but I think it is louder than my daughters soft top big bend. I drove the Big Bend softie for 20K or so before my daughter bought it from me, and I really liked the soft top. But the Wildrak hard top looks a lot better so the sunrider was the answer for a quick way to throw the top back. I like it a lot better with the sunrider back and I think at interstate speeds especially 75 MPH or more it’s about the same noise open or closed.
I have the twill version of the besttop which is supposed to be the better version, it’s just loud. It does seal up tight. I take it through automatic car wash’s regularly and it doesn't leak at all.

Bflagstad

Wildtrak
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Hard Rock
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had the same issue. I installed the Sunrider on my 2022 Wildtrak and the noise was terrible and the latches were very hard to unhook when released.

I called Bestop customer service for guidance and they told meFord had changed something in the 2022 design and that they are working on a solution but it could be 60-90 days for a solution and recommended I return the top to the seller. I have boxed it up and I’m waiting for my return authorization.

OP
OP

BroncoBets

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Navigator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the same issue. I installed the Sunrider on my 2022 Wildtrak and the noise was terrible and the latches were very hard to unhook when released.

I called Bestop customer service for guidance and they told meFord had changed something in the 2022 design and that they are working on a solution but it could be 60-90 days for a solution and recommended I return the top to the seller. I have boxed it up and I’m waiting for my return authorization.
Thanks. This is my sense as well. Something seems off about how it fits on the 2022 model. I also have the issue you mention where I have to wrestle with it to get it to release the hooks in order to open it.
Thanks for confirming.

Sponsored

sptu

Big Bend
First Name
Gustavo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks. This is my sense as well. Something seems off about how it fits on the 2022 model. I also have the issue you mention where I have to wrestle with it to get it to release the hooks in order to open it.
Thanks for confirming.
Same here, I thought it was me only.
I will send mine back as well.

do you think this problem would be only on the sunrider or also on the toptrek?
I'm wondering if I should try the toptrek instead.

skiborsy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRX, Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Loud Sunrider on a ‘21 here. Close to ruining the vehicle for longer trips. Basically seems like the whole thing is 1/2” too short front to back leaving space at the header. The volume is fine up to about 60 and much louder above that. IIRC, around 80db per my Apple Watch at 75-80 on stock Sasquatch tires.

Bflagstad

Wildtrak
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Hard Rock
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Same here, I thought it was me only.
I will send mine back as well.

do you think this problem would be only on the sunrider or also on the toptrek?
I'm wondering if I should try the toptrek instead.
I’m not sure

BadSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine rattles and squeaks a lot. Anyone else?

The truck is solid, so the Bestop noise annoys me.

The rattling isn’t too bad. When I hit big bumps, the top bounces a bit. Not too big of a deal.

But, the squeaking drives me crazy. Small bumps cause it. It’s definitely the top, not the truck.

Not sure if there’s anything I can do, except crank up the radio.

smast

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4d Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Three fixes are needed.

First agree that adjusting the latches as far forward as they go helps.

Second if you have a lot of flapping noise at the top the sleeve that attaches with Velcro to the center bar is loose. I fixed mine by taking a piece of 3/4 in tubing and cutting it down the center. Then wrapped that tubing around the bar and then reattached the velcro sleeve around all of it. That makes the velcro sleeve attachment tight and eliminated the flapping entirely.

Finally to address the wind noise in the front I bought some 1-in wide by 5/8 thick foam weather stripping material and attached it on the front of the hardtop as shown. Between those three it drastically cut down on the noise in the vehicle. Now about as good as the bestop sunrider was on my old wrangler. Bestop tech support basically asked me to send a video of the noise which I did and then they said that's to be expected. Not impressed. See pictures
Ford Bronco Sunrider for hardtop accessory is crazy noisy! Is this normal? 20221205_194532
Ford Bronco Sunrider for hardtop accessory is crazy noisy! Is this normal? 20221205_194619
Ford Bronco Sunrider for hardtop accessory is crazy noisy! Is this normal? 20221205_195339
Ford Bronco Sunrider for hardtop accessory is crazy noisy! Is this normal? 20221205_195350
Sponsored