First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My bronco is scheduled to be built in 4 weeks and hopefully be taking delivery in February.

I spoke with my dealer today about swapping out the Goodyear Territories based on the reports that they grab and throw stones all over the Bronco. We have some property in NC and the last 7+ miles are on gravel roads. The dealer is willing to give me 50% of the tires value ($320) or approximately $800 for all 5 tires. That seems fair to me, as long as their tire prices and install prices are not out of line.

First off, is $800 a decent value for the tires?

I struggle to believe that I will get much more than $800 for them trying to sell them on my own. The extra money probably wouldn't be worth it.

On the the tires - the two I am debating putting on are BFG KO2s or Falken Wildpeak A/T.

The Goodyears are load range C.

Falkens are load range E

BFGs can be had in C or E.

My question is - has anyone put Wildpeaks on their Bronco with the SAS package? Falken does not sell the 315/70s in C - only in E. How does it ride? Is it too stiff? Have you suffered any loss in MPG?

I really want to avoid blasting my Bronco with gravel and stones and killing the paint - but I also don't want to sacrifice ride quality and MPG for 95% of my driving when only 5% will be impacted.
Sponsored

Broncoder

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

5 of those SAS tires new on Tire Rack is a little over $1500 (if I'm looking at the right ones). If the dealer is willing to throw in a mount and balance for you for no charge, I think I'd take the deal. You might be able to squeeze a couple hundred more out selling them yourself, but then you have to handle any hassles that might entail.

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Can't go wrong with KO2 you can look at TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T III also both very good tires on and off road
Totally forgot about the Toyos! They do come at quite a nice price point.

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
5 of those SAS tires new on Tire Rack is a little over $1500 (if I'm looking at the right ones). If the dealer is willing to throw in a mount and balance for you for no charge, I think I'd take the deal. You might be able to squeeze a couple hundred more out selling them yourself, but then you have to handle any hassles that might entail.
That's where I'm at. Maybe I top out around $1k-1100. But at what cost and what hassle?

I'd be happy to run the Goodyears down but all the negative reviews on the stone/gravel grabbing and throwing it will pay to be proactive.

Now - I'm sure the KO2s, Toyos, or Falkens all do their share of rock throwing as well. I just haven't seen a lot of positives on the territories to justify keeping them.

Sponsored

Doorsoff4ever

Badlands
First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram3500 diesel crew cab long bed on 37's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maxxis RZR MTs are a fave of mine. Great summer tire with lots of tread depth and large voids that wont throw stones. they also wear very slowly. All these tires are noisy and its a bronco not a rolls royce so who cares about noise anyway. BFG KO2s are going to throw a fair amount of rock on the drive you described.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’d sell the tires on Facebook market place, Craigslist or on here. You’ll get more than $800 for 5 brand new tires.

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Totally forgot about the Toyos! They do come at quite a nice price point.
they handle just a good on an off road as the ko2 in my an several friends opinions also
I am running km3 on my tacoma right now they are wonderful off road but crazy load on the road after about 15,000 miles I will be putting AT3 on very soon wife doesn't even want to ride in truck anymore they are that loud :oops:

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Maxxis RZR MTs are a fave of mine. Great summer tire with lots of tread depth and large voids that wont throw stones. they also wear very slowly. All these tires are noisy and its a bronco not a rolls royce so who cares about noise anyway. BFG KO2s are going to throw a fair amount of rock on the drive you described.
Fair point and understood on the road noise. I'm not so concerned about the road noise as I am getting a numb feeling on pavement that makes the steering feel loose and disconnected. Ran Yoko Geolanders on my Subaru and they were great, moved to General Altimax and road feel was insane compared to Geolanders. Went to some cheap ass Cooper Enduromax because it's getting traded in soon and it feels like total shit. The car jumps around at 75+ an hour like you're getting hit with 40mph crosswinds. It's nuts.

Was probably planning to avoid the KO2s. More focused on the Wildpeaks. Toyos interest me for the price point and maybe take a look at the Maxxis.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Territory tires are soft and rather cushy tires. They do ride nice on pavement. We went to Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. Very tough and pretty stiff tire. But, it is suprisingly quite. Just watching the dashboard MPG, they are getting the same mpg average as the Territory.

Bronco sideplate on the door says to run the Territory at 39 PSI. That makes a stiffer tire very stiff.
We did a chalk test and are running at 31-32 psi. That makes the tire a lot more comfortable and gets longer tread life. I had to read what a chalk test was. This will be worth your time if you end up with a C, D or E rated tire.

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Territory tires are soft and rather cushy tires. They do ride nice on pavement. We went to Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. Very tough and pretty stiff tire. But, it is suprisingly quite. Just watching the dashboard MPG, they are getting the same mpg average as the Territory.

Bronco sideplate on the door says to run the Territory at 39 PSI. That makes a stiffer tire very stiff.
We did a chalk test and are running at 31-32 psi. That makes the tire a lot more comfortable and gets longer tread life. I had to read what a chalk test was. This will be worth your time if you end up with a C, D or E rated tire.
You went 255/85r17??

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Take the $800 and move on. You’ll be lucky to sell them for more in a reasonable time and you won’t have to deal with potential buyers.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Stayed with 315/70/17 just went different tire.
Sponsored