Sponsored

Tailgate rattle issue problems with warranty repair, any suggestions or help appreciated

Aspeer

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a 22 Wildtrack that I love. Similar to many other owners, I experienced the tailgate rattle identified in TSB 23-2163.

I first reported the issue to a dealer on 12/14/23. The dealer claimed they could not reproduce the issue. The issue worsened and I returned to the dealer on 1/9/2024. At this time, I provided the dealer with the TSB and a video I recorded of the rattle. Once again, the dealer claimed they could not reproduce the problem and suggested a ride along with their lead technician. Fortunately, he was available, and we walked out to the Bronco. Before putting the vehicle in drive, I played him the video and told him this is what you are listening for. He immediately said the issue is obvious and agreed it was the same problem identified in TSB 23-2163. I left the vehicle with them. The TSB referenced vehicles built on or before July 25th, 2022. My vehicle build date was August 2022. Due to my vehicle being outside the TSB range, Ford required the vehicle to replace items one a time, starting with the hinges on the tailgate. I was notified 2/28/2024 that the vehicle was ready, and they had replaced the rear tailgate hinges.

When I inspected the vehicle, there were numerous issues. The hinges had to be painted to match the body color and the paint job had scratches and missing paint. To make matters worse, the top hinge was textured, and the bottom hinge was completely smooth. I raised the concern before leaving the dealership and was assured it would be corrected. I need the vehicle, so I took the Bronco home and scheduled a return visit. The hinges did not correct the rattle and I returned the vehicle to the service department on 3/21/2024. The dealership contacted me on 4/26/2024 stating the tailgate had been replaced. I inspected the Bronco, and the tailgate paint did not match, the hinges were still different, and the dealership had failed to even reinstall the Ford and Bronco emblems. I refused to take delivery of the vehicle until it was corrected. I have been advised new hinges were ordered and once again they came from Ford mismatched with the lower hinge being smooth. I have opened a case with Ford Customer Relations and the dealership has opened a quality control issue with COPIS to find out why they keep getting one smooth and one textured hinge.

I am at a loss on what to do next. My vehicle has been at the dealership a total of 113 days (as of today) with 63 of those consecutive on the last attempt. I still do not have my vehicle back with no end in sight. The dealership can't provide an update on their progress with Ford in getting the issue resolved. I have reached out to Ford Customer Relations again and they just refer me back to the dealer.

Based upon other threads, I know there are a lot of service advisors and technicians in these forums. Does anyone have any suggestions?

IMG_0237.JPEG

IMG_0235.JPEG

IMG_0238.JPEG

New hinges.jpeg
Sponsored

Dan-O

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wow….how unfortunate. I can’t believe nobody noticed the mismatched hinges and lack of emblems……that’s nutz!! My tailgate was ratting horribly when weather started warming up. Found my rattle to be black plastic vent piece on interior of tailgate. Popped it off put a strip of felt tape around inside edge and also a plastic piece just inside of the vent that rattled back and forth. Totally silenced my problem. Would’ve been nice if yours was that easy. I feel for you!!

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You should’ve just sprayed white lithium WD40 on the hinges. Mine came with a noticeable tailgate rattle. After reading through the forum I decided to try white lithium trick and it actually worked

OP
OP

Aspeer

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You should’ve just sprayed white lithium WD40 on the hinges. Mine came with a noticeable tailgate rattle. After reading through the forum I decided to try white lithium trick and it actually worked
I wish it was that simple. I am a frequent visitor to these forums and saw the many suggestions on using white lithium lubricant.It was the first thing I tried. There was a slight improvement at first, but he rattle reappeared and gradually got worse.

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

113 Days? Call a lemon law attorney..

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow….how unfortunate. I can’t believe nobody noticed the mismatched hinges and lack of emblems……that’s nutz!! My tailgate was ratting horribly when weather started warming up. Found my rattle to be black plastic vent piece on interior of tailgate. Popped it off put a strip of felt tape around inside edge and also a plastic piece just inside of the vent that rattled back and forth. Totally silenced my problem. Would’ve been nice if yours was that easy. I feel for you!!
Seems like didn't care, not didn't notice...

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on the upper and lower hinge price difference my guess is there was a supplier change (part numbers did not supersede) or the equipment used to cast/forge/machine the straps was changed.

Here's my rattle spiel. Now that you've heard it, you will never unhear it or be satisfied unless it's completely gone. The part no one likes to hear....Sometimes there are noises or other "characteristics" baked into the cake the dealer nor Ford can completely "fix". If the entire gate and hinges were replaced and the noise is exactly the same type and intensity, it probably isn't the gate. My assumption is they gutted it to the point the latch, plastic trim, tire carrier, etc was eliminated and the only thing left was the shell and hinges?

Not sitting in the vehicle to hear the noise and being able to reliably duplicate it makes opining on this specific problem. It's entire possible I could drive it, hear the noise and say it's normal which is likely not the answer anyone wants to hear. Where this has become problematic is by not comparing to one or more like vehicles to see if it's just a "characteristic", they've essentially made the determination it's abnormal by attempting a repair.

I agree that the vehicle has been in or out of service for too long but once you dig into something like this there really isn't a stop until it's repaired or the determination is made by management or Ford there is no fix. Short of the dealer being completely incompetent, I believe they've gone further than most would in search of a noise based on the first post. It's kind of a big deal to make a case for body part replacement and have Ford pay the claim so they've stuck their necks out already. If this were mine I think I'd accept the reality of the situation and either try to live with it or if it's become that unbearable, move on to another vehicle if in a position to do so.

Noises and intermittent problems are the absolute worst complaint that can walk in the door. I'd say overall, the percentage of noises/rattles that can actually be fixed and aren't just an annoying "characteristic", is in the 50% range.

Only other thing they could throw at it if not already done is the latch mechanism and strikers.

They also forgot to put the little rubber bumpers in the hinges.
W721479-S300
Ford Bronco Tailgate rattle issue problems with warranty repair, any suggestions or help appreciated 1716549968705-it

OP
OP

Aspeer

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

113 Days? Call a lemon law attorney..
I have considered that, but I love the Bronco and would hate to change over something as stupid as the tailgate and hinge. At this rate, it may end up being my only option.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just spray expanding foam the entire interior. Never have another rattle! lol

OP
OP

Aspeer

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Based on the upper and lower hinge price difference my guess is there was a supplier change (part numbers did not supersede) or the equipment used to cast/forge/machine the straps was changed.

Here's my rattle spiel. Now that you've heard it, you will never unhear it or be satisfied unless it's completely gone. The part no one likes to hear....Sometimes there are noises or other "characteristics" baked into the cake the dealer nor Ford can completely "fix". If the entire gate and hinges were replaced and the noise is exactly the same type and intensity, it probably isn't the gate. My assumption is they gutted it to the point the latch, plastic trim, tire carrier, etc was eliminated and the only thing left was the shell and hinges?

Not sitting in the vehicle to hear the noise and being able to reliably duplicate it makes opining on this specific problem. It's entire possible I could drive it, hear the noise and say it's normal which is likely not the answer anyone wants to hear. Where this has become problematic is by not comparing to one or more like vehicles to see if it's just a "characteristic", they've essentially made the determination it's abnormal by attempting a repair.

I agree that the vehicle has been in or out of service for too long but once you dig into something like this there really isn't a stop until it's repaired or the determination is made by management or Ford there is no fix. Short of the dealer being completely incompetent, I believe they've gone further than most would in search of a noise based on the first post. It's kind of a big deal to make a case for body part replacement and have Ford pay the claim so they've stuck their necks out already. If this were mine I think I'd accept the reality of the situation and either try to live with it or if it's become that unbearable, move on to another vehicle if in a position to do so.

Noises and intermittent problems are the absolute worst complaint that can walk in the door. I'd say overall, the percentage of noises/rattles that can actually be fixed and aren't just an annoying "characteristic", is in the 50% range.

Only other thing they could throw at it if not already done is the latch mechanism and strikers.

They also forgot to put the little rubber bumpers in the hinges.
W721479-S300
1716549968705-it.png
Thanks for the detailed response and for noticing they forgot the rubber bumper!

I didn’t post the video with the sound due to the size, but this rattle sounded like the rear tailgate was about to fall off every time I hit a patch of uneven pavement.

I haven’t named the dealer as I am trying to give them every opportunity to take care of the issue, but I lost a lot of faith when they tried to return the vehicle with obvious problems like the missing emblems and mismatched hinges.

Sponsored

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have considered that, but I love the Bronco and would hate to change over something as stupid as the tailgate and hinge. At this rate, it may end up being my only option.
You can't love it too much if you let the dealer hold it for over 3 months.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the detailed response and for noticing they forgot the rubber bumper!

I didn’t post the video with the sound due to the size, but this rattle sounded like the rear tailgate was about to fall off every time I hit a patch of uneven pavement.

I haven’t named the dealer as I am trying to give them every opportunity to take care of the issue, but I lost a lot of faith when they tried to return the vehicle with obvious problems like the missing emblems and mismatched hinges.
The hinge thing isn't the dealer's fault, it's appears to be a change from the supplier to Ford. Couple possibilities, the warehouse opens a bunch of boxes to try and find the older style (highly unlikely), find one at another dealer who will open package to confirm the old style or fill and sand the top one to try and match the bottom.

Has anyone driven a similar bronco on the same rough road to confirm the noise is or isn't present? I can get my gate to rattle depending on the speed and texture of the road. Body flex, play in the interference fit of the latch and striker all contributors and unavoidable.

I'd pull the top completely off, put back seats down, spare off, adjust the rear door so it's so tight it almost doesn't latch, tire jack tools and funnel out, pull the rear bumper, hitch and go drive on a road you know it will make the noise. If the noise is still there could still be the gate but you've eliminated all of that other stuff. Hell, a guy to hang a gate off another bronco on there and see what happens. This would be getting way deep into the woods and only confirm it is or isn't the gate or just an undesirable "characteristic".

OP
OP

Aspeer

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The hinge thing isn't the dealer's fault, it's appears to be a change from the supplier to Ford. Couple possibilities, the warehouse opens a bunch of boxes to try and find the older style (highly unlikely), find one at another dealer who will open package to confirm the old style or fill and sand the top one to try and match the bottom.

Has anyone driven a similar bronco on the same rough road to confirm the noise is or isn't present? I can get my gate to rattle depending on the speed and texture of the road. Body flex, play in the interference fit of the latch and striker all contributors and unavoidable.

I'd pull the top completely off, put back seats down, spare off, adjust the rear door so it's so tight it almost doesn't latch, tire jack tools and funnel out, pull the rear bumper, hitch and go drive on a road you know it will make the noise. If the noise is still there could still be the gate but you've eliminated all of that other stuff. Hell, a guy to hang a gate off another bronco on there and see what happens. This would be getting way deep into the woods and only confirm it is or isn't the gate or just an undesirable "characteristic".
I agree, the hinge problem is not the dealership’s fault. My only complaint with the dealership was they tried to return the vehicle with a new tailgate that the paint obviously didn’t match and was missing the emblems. They promised to make it right, so I am giving them the opportunity.

I did try lowering the rear seats and removing the top after the first set of hinges was replaced. They also replaced the latch at that time. I still had a really bad rattle. I do expect some noise, but this is a very loud rattle and the tailgate sounded like it was coming off. I now have a new tailgate, so I am hopeful after the hinges are replaced it will be better.

Do you know if a dealership is able to check inventory at other dealerships? I could definitely ask them to look around.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 22 Wildtrack that I love. Similar to many other owners, I experienced the tailgate rattle identified in TSB 23-2163.

I first reported the issue to a dealer on 12/14/23. The dealer claimed they could not reproduce the issue. The issue worsened and I returned to the dealer on 1/9/2024. At this time, I provided the dealer with the TSB and a video I recorded of the rattle. Once again, the dealer claimed they could not reproduce the problem and suggested a ride along with their lead technician. Fortunately, he was available, and we walked out to the Bronco. Before putting the vehicle in drive, I played him the video and told him this is what you are listening for. He immediately said the issue is obvious and agreed it was the same problem identified in TSB 23-2163. I left the vehicle with them. The TSB referenced vehicles built on or before July 25th, 2022. My vehicle build date was August 2022. Due to my vehicle being outside the TSB range, Ford required the vehicle to replace items one a time, starting with the hinges on the tailgate. I was notified 2/28/2024 that the vehicle was ready, and they had replaced the rear tailgate hinges.

When I inspected the vehicle, there were numerous issues. The hinges had to be painted to match the body color and the paint job had scratches and missing paint. To make matters worse, the top hinge was textured, and the bottom hinge was completely smooth. I raised the concern before leaving the dealership and was assured it would be corrected. I need the vehicle, so I took the Bronco home and scheduled a return visit. The hinges did not correct the rattle and I returned the vehicle to the service department on 3/21/2024. The dealership contacted me on 4/26/2024 stating the tailgate had been replaced. I inspected the Bronco, and the tailgate paint did not match, the hinges were still different, and the dealership had failed to even reinstall the Ford and Bronco emblems. I refused to take delivery of the vehicle until it was corrected. I have been advised new hinges were ordered and once again they came from Ford mismatched with the lower hinge being smooth. I have opened a case with Ford Customer Relations and the dealership has opened a quality control issue with COPIS to find out why they keep getting one smooth and one textured hinge.

I am at a loss on what to do next. My vehicle has been at the dealership a total of 113 days (as of today) with 63 of those consecutive on the last attempt. I still do not have my vehicle back with no end in sight. The dealership can't provide an update on their progress with Ford in getting the issue resolved. I have reached out to Ford Customer Relations again and they just refer me back to the dealer.

Based upon other threads, I know there are a lot of service advisors and technicians in these forums. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ford Bronco Tailgate rattle issue problems with warranty repair, any suggestions or help appreciated 1716549968705-it

Hello, there! I would like to take a closer look at your tailgate concerns. Can you please send over a message with your VIN and dealership information so I can start looking into this on my end?

SIMPLEGRINN

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD BRONCO SASQUATCH 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Check out my post on this issue.
Ford Bronco Tailgate rattle issue problems with warranty repair, any suggestions or help appreciated 1716290633369-d
Sponsored