First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thinking about taking a long road trip from Maine to Colorado in September. Probably spend a week or so on some moderate passes and doing the alpine loop. Only way I’ll do it is if I can take my 3 year old Great Pyrenees. He’s about 120 lbs and loves to ride in the bronco but not sure how he’d do on such a long trip.
My concerns range from the long days getting out and back, unimpressive AC in the back to him getting into a real snake (we only have toy snakes in Maine).
For those that have done this sort of dog traveling, opinions, thoughts, techniques are all appreciated.
Thanks

IMG_3028.png
Sponsored

Cwill79

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bought this fan off Amazon, and some 8x80mm bolts with knobs. My German Shepard is thankful. My older boys like to reach back and point it towards them when they are stuck in the back for a while too.
Ford Bronco Taking large dogs on long trips? IMG_2527

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Rootdog and I thought I had a dog hair problem!

I have zero issues with the Hardtop with 110F outside. My issue is the wolfhounds get the back and everything else has to go on the trailer. We are planning at 3-4k mile road trip coming up and will most likely have the trailer just for luggage and an ice chest. I have rear luggage bags and keep tools under my folded down 2nd row.

Big items that has no place is my dog ramp. I struggle with keeping my dog ramp from rattling and out of the way. I currently strap it to a rear bag but half the time it rattles so bad it drives me nuts.

Loaded
PXL_20230702_174837623.jpg

Dog party
PXL_20230325_212933237.jpg

Size reference
PXL_20230406_145859780-1.jpg

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Moderate passes and the alpine loop are free of poisonous snakes. Sept will be cool at altitude. Plan on nights below freezing.

OP
OP

Rootdog

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the info. Good to hear the snakes won’t be a problem, for him or me😜

Sponsored
OP
OP

Rootdog

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good looking pups BtW

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry, can't help. I only take a small dog on short trips.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Rootdog @Snacktime

159 lbs Irish wolfhound checking in.

We do lots of off roading and I can second that the entire back is for the dog. Tools, cooler, and gear occupy the back half of the trunk and the rest is all dog pad.

If he can get up and turn around I count it as enough room for him and he is happy to ve a part of the fun on long trips.

The good news is that I don't need a bed roll anymore since the dog bed works great as a place to sleep🤣.

Ford Bronco Taking large dogs on long trips? 20230807_023722

Ford Bronco Taking large dogs on long trips? 20230717_162602

Ford Bronco Taking large dogs on long trips? 20230717_151213

rblume73

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 07 F150, 73 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If your worried about snakes, talk to your vet about a anti-venom shot. We have tons of poisonous snakes in South Texas, and I have my dog get one every year with her rabies. The first shot requires a booster after a month. My last dog got bit by a massive rattlesnake the day before his one month booster. That shot probably saved his life. The vet was surprised he even survived the bite.

If you don't have one, I would get a dog taco (full back seat cover), and a console cover from Mabitt to help with hair control.

Trooper19

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have done many day trips with my 140 lb Dutch mix . On the 19th we a traveling to the Whipsaw trail over 2 days all offroad with my 17 yrs old daughter. it will be a full truck and we will be all be sleeping in the Bronco overnight. We will attempt to do a report and photos on how it works out.

20230326_150957.jpg

20220722_190334.jpg

575.jpg

Sponsored

Navyicman

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Big Bend Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have 3 dogs each in the 40-60lb range. 1 full size pitty, 1 pocket pitty, and a beagle/lab mix. Haven't attempted a long trip in the full size Bronco yet, but have pulled 9 hour trips with the beagle/lab and the full size pitty in the Bronco Sport. Plenty of room for cargo, doggo bed, and a kid in the back of the sport, so I am wagering more room in the back of my OBX.
Ford Bronco Taking large dogs on long trips? Resized_20230603_203325(1)
Ford Bronco Taking large dogs on long trips? Resized_20230315_124302

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Toyota Avalon, 08 Honda Civic, 01 Nissan Pathfinder, 10 3T Saab, 94 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If you have a hard top, let me suggest upgrading the window tint. I am looking at a couple of options and ceramic tinting is what I'm leaning towards to help keep the vehicle cooler inside.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My cousin in AZ does overlanding trips all the time (AZ, CA, UT, CO, NV). He always brings his 2 great danes and corgi (rules the roost), in the back of his Defender. Never had a problem with snakes. Dogs will need potty breaks, exercise and water breaks, so bring lots of water.

Ford Bronco Taking large dogs on long trips? dogs

Ford Bronco Taking large dogs on long trips? corgi

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am looking for some trail recommendations near Colorado Springs. We will be up there in October, the wife and dogs. Never been out that way. Not looking to do any wheeling or overnight. Just a good scenic place to get out for the day (6-8 hours or so). Something good for the dogs. Also not sure what the weather is like in October up at elevation?

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My good boy, the runt of the liter Great Dane, doesn't much care to be in the Bronco. I am installing the hitch and getting a hitch carrier specifically so he has more room in the trunk. I like the fans idea.

Ford Bronco Taking large dogs on long trips? clark
Sponsored

Last edited: