Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I’m just not doing something correctly but I’m trying to connect a hitch light up and I tapped into the black, yellow and red wires of the 7 way plug but nothing happened when I tested the trailer lights off the Ford app. The hitch light runs both backup lights and break lights. Here’s the wire harness it came with.
Ford Bronco Tapping into 7 way trailer plug IMG_6948
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there a wiring diagram identifying the wires in your picture? Are you properly grounded?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The wires on the add on light are not going to match the Ford wires. When do you want the light to come on and need more info on the the light.
By the way how did you get the trailer lamp test to work. It does not show up in my Ford Pass app?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

By the way how did you get the trailer lamp test to work. It does not show up in my Ford Pass app?
It's on the Sync screen in the Towing section. Not in the app. (Link to a video I did)

Doesn't appear to work with the 4-pin connector... or... at least it didn't for me. Haven't tried the 7-pin.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gambitl7

Gambitl7

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have it in the app.
Ford Bronco Tapping into 7 way trailer plug IMG_6956
Ford Bronco Tapping into 7 way trailer plug IMG_6955

PEGB

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Badlands Sasquatch Hardtop 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not sure if this will be of any help, but I was installing one of those third brake light/blinker lights behind the spare a couple of months ago. Their instructions directed you to tap into the 7way plug wiring. I live in New England and tapping into wires exposed to the elements and salt is a no go for me. That and they had a contrived way of keeping the “trailer plugged in” notification from happening. What I did instead was tap into the 7-way tow module installed in the cargo area (behind driver side panel) instead. No trailer warning, and everything is contained within the safe confines of the cabin.

Good Luck!

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Doesn't appear to work with the 4-pin connector... or... at least it didn't for me. Haven't tried the 7-pin.
Odd. Mine works just fine with 4-pin, using the Ford 4-pin adapter kit - I just don't have reverse lights but everything else works. Mine does not show up on FordPass app either though - just Sync - maybe because I don't have the Tow package from the factory.

To the OP - if you have a multimeter check for voltage on the internals of your connector, make sure those are getting hot when they are supposed to. The wire colors going there may not be standard, but the pinout on the connector definitely will be. That at least gets you a starting point without needing to cut any more wires.

Even if the Trailer Check thing isn't working, you should still be able to get the signals the old fashioned way. All that does anyway is push the buttons/pedals for you to check the lights.

You should also be able to check your lights by going to a 12V source and making sure it turns on. I'm sure one is brake line, one is reverse, and one is ground - just connect them right to 12V somewhere and make sure the lights work as you expect too.

Ford Bronco Tapping into 7 way trailer plug 1709759441876

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Odd. Mine works just fine with 4-pin, using the Ford 4-pin adapter kit - I just don't have reverse lights but everything else works. Mine does not show up on FordPass app either though - just Sync - maybe because I don't have the Tow package from the factory.
Alright well now I'm just straight up confused hah.

I DO have the tow package from the factory and I definitely don't have it in the app like @Gambitl7 does.

Ford Bronco Tapping into 7 way trailer plug 1709759779064

RoverDude

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (First Edition)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Alright well now I'm just straight up confused hah.

I DO have the tow package from the factory and I definitely don't have it in the app like @Gambitl7 does.

Ford Bronco Tapping into 7 way trailer plug 1709759779064
I'd like to know how to enable this ( ie though app)

Even enabling towbar via FDRS. I still never have the light check enabled in sync.

I can turn it on via Forscan.
But it never worked, I got the same error as you.

Any insights /tips would be helpful.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gambitl7

Gambitl7

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I’ve got the light working but I keep getting errors because it thinks there’s a trailer. The errors are cross traffic sensors turn off and the rear parking sensors turn off. They don’t stay off they intermittently come on and off. Any ideas?

RoverDude

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (First Edition)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you're tapping into the trailer wiring for lights. It thinks those lights are the trailer.
Specifically, what wires did you use / what wires are connected to what?

OP
OP
Gambitl7

Gambitl7

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you're tapping into the trailer wiring for lights. It thinks those lights are the trailer.
Specifically, what wires did you use / what wires are connected to what?
I’m tapping into the ground, reverse lights both turn/brake lights.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I’ve got the light working but I keep getting errors because it thinks there’s a trailer. The errors are cross traffic sensors turn off and the rear parking sensors turn off. They don’t stay off they intermittently come on and off. Any ideas?
Yeah as @RoverDude mentioNed, it thinks you connected a trailer.

There is a Trailer Control Module that detects if there is a power draw on any of the trailer wiring. Since that’s the wires you’re tapped into it’s detecting that power draw and turning off the safety systems. Basically operating as designed.

The best you can do is add a load so I thinks the trailer is connected all the time, which will permanently disable those safety features. Probably best to wire it to something else other than the trailer tow wiring.
Sponsored