Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What would you recommend?
I would like a road bike but still something a little bit tough and able to handle non-smooth roads. ....
Gravel bikes are popular these days. Similar to a road bike but will accept wider tires. Geometry may be a bit different for a more upright position.
Your choice depends on where and how you will be riding it. Want to ride fast on good roads? get a road bike. Slower pace on rougher terrain, a gravel bike may be right for you.
Most importantly, get a bike that fits you well. It's worth seeking out a shop that will measure you up and find the right bike for you.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What would you recommend?

Earlier in the thread I posted my Cannondale Bad Boy 1. I love this bike for cruising around the area and getting some exercise. I've found that I'm getting more into cycling again and am considering something a bit different. The BB1 is a great bike but with the internal hub it only has so many gears. I find myself wanting higher gears now.

I would like a road bike but still something a little bit tough and able to handle non-smooth roads. I have a long gravel drive to get out of as well. I'm in my mid 50s and don't want to be on something so aggressive that I'm going to feel it in my bones the next day.

I've always liked Cannondales but open to suggestions. Would prefer to spend a few $K at most.
Fly-by-night is on target

Gravel bike, it's a roadbike with almost mountain bike tires

Cannondale topstone, canyon grail are good options

Search for gravel bikes, almost every maker has one now

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-bikes/all-road/grail/

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/road/gravel#sort=@msrp descending

ilkhan

Badlands
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco The Bike Thread IMG_20170217_123543

Not the best picture, but yeah my Mustang had a hitch on it just for carrying the bike around. Miss that car...
GT Grade for the bike. Before they switched it to a 1x. I don't ride much anymore, but trying to change that.
32mm wide gatorskins for the tires, but it rolls pretty good. In my prime I put 2600 miles on it the first year, including 2 100mi days. I'd be lucky to do 10 right now. :(

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After 34yrs riding clockwork this beast is a true wonder.

Ford Bronco The Bike Thread IMG_5195
but but but - its electric:(. lol. it's cool that you got one, but i would never buy an electric bike. too expensive imo

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
but but but - its electric:(. lol. it's cool that you got one, but i would never buy an electric bike. too expensive imo
Most of my rides start over 10kft and go up from there with lots of long and/or steep climbs. 40 miles with 6K elevation gain is not uncommon. At my age, my legs and lungs really appreciate a bit of pedal assist and it allows me to ride like I did 20yrs ago without killing myself. :). The cost of the Bronco will be about 10x the cost of the bike and be no less of a toy but my wife will get to come along. IMO there is no point in living where I do unless we get outside and enjoy it. Any "tools" that enable that are a good thing.

Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I see a lot of ebikes out these days, anything that gets people out and enjoying riding is a great thing IMO

The ECargo bikes are pretty cool, I'll be out in full roadbike gear and have to work harder than I care to admit to catch and pass some mom wearing sandals on a cargo bike. I'm even starting to see parents using cargo bikes to shuttle kids around.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most of my rides start over 10kft and go up from there with lots of long and/or steep climbs. 40 miles with 6K elevation gain is not uncommon. At my age, my legs and lungs really appreciate a bit of pedal assist and it allows me to ride like I did 20yrs ago without killing myself. :). The cost of the Bronco will be about 10x the cost of the bike and be no less of a toy but my wife will get to come along. IMO there is no point in living where I do unless we get outside and enjoy it. Any "tools" that enable that are a good thing.
wow. that makes more sense now lol. i think if i tried to do that much elevation - it just wouldn't work... how do they compare to regular bikes for weight?

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
wow. that makes more sense now lol. i think if i tried to do that much elevation - it just wouldn't work... how do they compare to regular bikes for weight?
Don't ask. :O That was something I really had to get over and only did so after riding them. My last clockwork bike (which actually cost quite bit more than this one) was under 21 lbs all-in (pedals, Stan's, Garmin, mud, ...). I could pick it up with 2 fingers. This one by comparison is a complete tank at more than double that even with some lighter components that I swapped out. However, for the style of riding I do (xc with my wheels on the ground as much as possible) the weight really isn't noticeable except when I need to lift it over a gate. If I was more of a downhill type person doing lots of jumps and high speed berms then the mass of the electric would probably suck and a different/lighter bike would make more sense. Although to be fair most [non-electric] downhill specific bikes weigh a lot more that what I was used to and are closer to the some lighter eMTBs than my very light XC bike.

Keeping this at least somewhat related to the Bronco. While the eMTB does allow me to avoid quite a bit of shuttling, there are places when it would be nice to have my wife drop me off. The Bronco (which will be her dd) will allow her to drive me to some trailheads without the anxiety she would have in a lesser vehicle.

Last edited:

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I was more of a downhill type person doing lots of jumps and high speed berms then the mass of the electric would probably suck and a different/lighter bike would make more sense.
also those kinds of places usually have lifts or something so that kind of eliminates the need for electricity lol.

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have an old Trek hybrid and a new Specialized ebike. Ebike is great - only a workout if I want it to be. Has 3 levels of pedal assist.

Ford Bronco The Bike Thread 005E11A8-D451-4EE0-898E-0E6E6BB3D59F
Sponsored