Sponsored

Tips for removing fuel tank to install rear upper control arms?

RockyBalboa

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2-Door BadSquatch, '21 Mach-E GTPE, '13 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've installed aftermarket adjustable track bar and lower rear control arms, but it's time I tackle installing the rear upper control arms. I understand the easiest way is to drop the fuel tank. Does anyone have any tips/tricks when dropping the fuel tank to access the bolt for the upper control arm? I understand there's some fuel lines and electrical connectors on top.
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't have first hand experience but I seem to recall a post about the skid plate actually supporting the gas tank...the poster wasn't aware and wasn't ready for the tank to drop.

OP
OP
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have first hand experience but I seem to recall a post about the skid plate actually supporting the gas tank...the poster wasn't aware and wasn't ready for the tank to drop.
Correct. I have read threads that the OEM skid actually holds the tank in place.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've done this a couple of times. I have a 2-post lift so that makes it WAY easier than if you're working on the floor. With my lift, I roll a tool cart under the tank, un-bolt and un-do everything, then lift the Bronco off the tank. If you're working on the floor, you'll probably want to sit the Bronco as high up on jackstands as you can get it, then use a floor jack under the tank to lower and raise it.

The most helpful tip I can give you is to go to the parts store and buy one of those little plastic fuel line clips, as it's likely you'll break the existing one when you remove it, having one on hand already will save you a trip to the parts store in the middle of your install. I don't have the part number handy but it's noted in the install instructions for ICON's upper rear links, which you can download off the ICON website and refer to even if you're installing someone else's links. This is for the fuel line connection that's above the tank about in the center/passenger side of the tank. There's another small fuel line near the front that has a different style of disconnect. The one in the front was tricky to figure out but it's not as prone to breaking as the other one. You'll also need a standard spring-lock style fuel line disconnector for the small vent line at the back of the tank (near the fuel filler hose). Why Ford couldn't just use the same type of connector everywhere, rather than three different oddball connector types, is beyond me.

Also, make sure the tank is as empty as you're comfortable driving it with. The less fuel weight in there sloshing around, the easier the job will be.

Use red loctite on the bolt when you put it back together, since it's a big PITA to go back in and re-tighten it later LOL.

OP
OP
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've done this a couple of times. I have a 2-post lift so that makes it WAY easier than if you're working on the floor. With my lift, I roll a tool cart under the tank, un-bolt and un-do everything, then lift the Bronco off the tank. If you're working on the floor, you'll probably want to sit the Bronco as high up on jackstands as you can get it, then use a floor jack under the tank to lower and raise it.

The most helpful tip I can give you is to go to the parts store and buy one of those little plastic fuel line clips, as it's likely you'll break the existing one when you remove it, having one on hand already will save you a trip to the parts store in the middle of your install. I don't have the part number handy but it's noted in the install instructions for ICON's upper rear links, which you can download off the ICON website and refer to even if you're installing someone else's links. This is for the fuel line connection that's above the tank about in the center/passenger side of the tank. There's another small fuel line near the front that has a different style of disconnect. The one in the front was tricky to figure out but it's not as prone to breaking as the other one. You'll also need a standard spring-lock style fuel line disconnector for the small vent line at the back of the tank (near the fuel filler hose). Why Ford couldn't just use the same type of connector everywhere, rather than three different oddball connector types, is beyond me.

Also, make sure the tank is as empty as you're comfortable driving it with. The less fuel weight in there sloshing around, the easier the job will be.

Use red loctite on the bolt when you put it back together, since it's a big PITA to go back in and re-tighten it later LOL.
That's great info, thanks. I looked up the Icon install instructions, and those seem to be great. The part number of the fuel line retaining clip is Dorman 800-041 - I bought them from Amazon.

Here's a link to the Icon install manual in case anyone else is wondering about this:
Icon upper link install manual

Sponsored

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ordered as well, perfect timing since I'm about to do this!

mspeter

Badlands
First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Badlands 7-spd, ‘20 F350 Dually, & 3x M422A1s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installed upper arms with loosening and dropping the rear of the tank down using a screw stand. Just needed to remove the filler & vent hoses, and unclip some harness lines from formed-recesses in the top of the fuel tank. I did have the spare Dorman fuel feed clip, as I was prepared to fully remove the tank.
Sponsored