Sponsored

Tire Carrier Lug Cross-threaded / Gonna Break it / Anyone have replacement guidance

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Bronco Wildtrak, Maverick, Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hey All,

Recently accepted delivery of a Bronco Raptor and upon trying to remove the spare tire I found that my lug was cross-threaded from the factory and I'm going to have to break it to remove the tire.

My question is that is this lug replaceable or would I need an entire new tire carrier? Seems like they would make these replaceable since the camera is mounted on the carrier.

Anyone else experience this or have any guidance? Thanks in advance
Sponsored

OP
OP
derichio02

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ok so the cross threaded lug was removed successfully and rethreaded. It still give a bit of trouble from time to time since I have now done a rotation.

Is there any way just to replace the lugs or is it the entire Raptor tire carrier.

Maybe @flip knows?

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm not sure on a Raptor, but I modified one on a Bigbend and the studs are welded to the bracket. I had to cut them off and weld longer studs onto it.

OP
OP
derichio02

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm not sure on a Raptor, but I modified one on a Bigbend and the studs are welded to the bracket. I had to cut them off and weld longer studs onto it.
I honestly think it’s the same carrier on the Raptor and they just add the reinforcement plate.

I felt a little spin when torquing it down last rotation and immediately stopped. If I pull on it there is no separation but seems like I might need a new carrier. Hopefully flip has some better news.

Sponsored
OP
OP
derichio02

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
And I of course used the torque specs from the owners manual not some arbitrary number

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The proper stud is probably available at any auto parts store. You just need the thread size and length. If you do not have the equipment, take it to a mom and pop welding shop and have them drill out the broken stud and replace it. About an hours work, except you will have to remove the carrier from the vehicle.

Your rethreaded stud will probably be fine until you need the spare in an off-road, remote situation, then it will probably gall (jam) again.

OP
OP
derichio02

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Does not show studs available in the catalogue at this time for any of the carriers.
Thanks Phil. Is there a part number for the Raptor tire carrier? Are they available? I imagine it’s expensive since I think it comes with the rear camera.

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
derichio02

derichio02

Raptor
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The proper stud is probably available at any auto parts store. You just need the thread size and length. If you do not have the equipment, take it to a mom and pop welding shop and have them drill out the broken stud and replace it. About an hours work, except you will have to remove the carrier from the vehicle.

Your rethreaded stud will probably be fine until you need the spare in an off-road, remote situation, then it will probably gall (jam) again.
Thread size 14x1.5 is easy, the length may be the booger since it may be hard to measure. I have taken the carrier off but on my Wildtrak previously but didnt care to look inside. @Derbystud is the bracket inside easily removable?

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thread size 14x1.5 is easy, the length may be the booger since it may be hard to measure. I have taken the carrier off but on my Wildtrak previously but didnt care to look inside. @Derbystud is the bracket inside easily removable?
Yes it just bolts to the plastic carrier with 2 screws.

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

When you swapped your wheels did any of them have any cross threading issues on those studs? I was trying to swap my wheels on today and exact same issue happened on the spare, all 3 lugs cross threaded, evidenced by metal shavings falling out when the lug bolts were removed. i had the tire shop stop work as i didnt want to risk having the same issue on the other 4 and the be stuck towing the vehicle. Scheduled to go into dealer.
Sponsored