Sponsored

Tire Pressure Guide for Aftermarket Tires!

jolson1228

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi everyone!

I put new tires on my Bronco a couple months ago (Goodyear Ultraterrains) and have been reading a lot on here about what PSI to run with E rated tires. Most of the answers I found seemed to be random PSIs that people like, but didn't have anything to back them up other than "it works for me and I like the ride quality". I decided to do more research outside of the forums to find out what PSI I should run based on my Bronco's weight and tire rating, since aftermarket tires may not require the same PSI as listed on your door jam and each tire is different. Here's a quick guide to find your new recommended PSI!

If you're not comfortable with this process, the safest bet is to go with the pressures listed on your door jam chart, but it could lead to uneven wear or suboptimal performance.

First, you have to find your front and rear axle weight. The most accurate way of finding this is by taking your Bronco to a Truck Scale or local landfill and ask to use their scale.

If you don't have that option, or just want a close estimate, you can use the Gross Axle Weight Rating from the table below. This is the maximum weight each axle is rated to carry fully loaded.

Ford Bronco Tire Pressure Guide for Aftermarket Tires! GVWR-Details-with-Wildtrack-2048x1583

Next, find your tires max load (in LBS) listed on the side of the tire. It will look something like this:

Ford Bronco Tire Pressure Guide for Aftermarket Tires! Max-Load-On-Tire-Sidewall

After you have all your info, put it into this handy calculator and it will tell you what PSI you should be running for the best balance optimized tread wear, handling, ride quality and breaking performance. It will give you a front and rear PSI. The calculator is located at the bottom of the page.

https://overlandracksontario.com/tire-pressure-calculator/

Finally, set your tires to the listed PSI and do a chalk test to make sure you have even wear across the entire width of the tire, and you're done! If you don't have even wear, adjust your PSI until you have even wear across the whole tire.

If you are unsure about how to do a chalk test, there are plenty of guides online, just google "Tire Chalk Test" and either watch a video or read an article that explains how to do it.

Final Notes:
*As stated above, it is always safest to fill tires to manufacturer recommended PSI. This may not give you an optimized wear pattern, but it's listed there for a reason.
*I am not responsible for any injuries or damages caused by following this calculator.
This is just a post with compiled information from the internet. I am not an expert in tire science, just a nerdy bronco owner that wanted numbers and equations to back up my decision for tire pressure in my personal bronco.
Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Chalk test is what I did ,psi was just above the alarm psi.

OP
OP

jolson1228

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Chalk test is what I did ,psi was just above the alarm psi.
You can change your PSI Alert with the Superchips Flashcal if it's ever an issue for you.

I think they only support 2021-2022 MY for now.
Sponsored