Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I understand that you guys feel that the sticker is sufficient but unless you replace the stock tires on you vehicle with the same tire or a tire with very similar load numbers (weight @ psi) the sticker is no longer the go to.

Had you done the math, chalk test or both, you may have found those tires would have road a lot better than they did. Of course there is a window of acceptable inflation.

For the most part, stock tires and aftermarket A/T and M/T tires have very different characteristics.

@kodiakisland curious why you’d want E rated tires for a bronco. (No judgement. Just curious)
Can't speak for kodiak, but the size I want are only available in E, 255/80x17. Also, I've never had a tire ruining or even very many tire flattening events with E's. Had them on my LJ, rode fine, yeah fine...it was a Jeep after all.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do a chalk test. Inflate the tires to the MFGr spec's. Make a wide chalk mark across the width of the tread. Drive a mile or two with both left and right turns. Check the chalk mark. If the mark is gone in the center but not on the edges, over inflated. If the chalk is gone from the edges but remains in the center, under inflated. Adjust the air and repeat until the chalk is evenly removed.
maxresdefault.jpg

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for this. I just upgraded my Transit with Michelin Defenders and I was wondering if I should use the sticker numbers for the OEM Continentals (that I just replaced for the second time after only lasting 30k miles....). I had a feeling there had to be a deeper science to this. Much appreciated.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Because I am hard on my tires in a lot of sharp rocks, heavy thorns, etc. and, the size I want only comes in E. The key to E tires is having a good suspension, running the tires at the proper pressure, and having plenty of sidewall. Plus, I grew up in the days of buckshot mudders and 12 inch skyjacker lifts. If you can drive one of those, todays rigs with E tires are luxury rides.

An E tire is not a bad thing. If you don't need them, don't get them. They aren't for the mall. Run them at the correct pressure. That max 80psi writing on the sidewall doesn't mean put 80psi in them. If your suspension is shot, or crap, fix or upgrade. Tires are but a small piece of the puzzle, but choosing tires to meet your actual application is a good place to start. Also, buy good tires. That's not where you should be making choices based on price.

I just think, why wouldn't I want E rated tires on my Bronco?
Sponsored

Last edited: