Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Like the title says, I just lost my daily driver. It was 100% the other drivers fault, and they have insurance. Nobody was hurt thankfully, but my adrenaline is through the roof.

It was a 2010 Ford Fusion with 150,000 miles. My plan was to drive it and save for Bronco but this throws a wrench in things. It wasn't worth much but I owned it at least. KBB it was worth $1500-$2000, so I'm not expecting much insurance money. Definitely was hoping for another 10-12 months of saving before I bought a vehicle.

Should I buy a beater to get me through the year, or finance something with some value (thinking used Tacoma or Wrangler) and trade in for bronco?
Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Glad to hear you are ok! I would personally get a cheap commuter car in the mean time if it was me

Edit: I would consider getting like a used Camry or Civic/accord as those tend to be super reliable used for the most part and you buy one for $5k and sell it for $5k a year later so drove for free. Used commuter cars with great resale value will not cost you much to drive a year.

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Like the title says, I just lost my daily driver. It was 100% the other drivers fault, and they have insurance. Nobody was hurt thankfully, but my adrenaline is through the roof.

It was a 2010 Ford Fusion with 150,000 miles. My plan was to drive it and save for Bronco but this throws a wrench in things. It wasn't worth much but I owned it at least. KBB it was worth $1500-$2000, so I'm not expecting much insurance money. Definitely was hoping for another 10-12 months of saving before I bought a vehicle.

Should I buy a beater to get me through the year, or finance something with some value (thinking used Tacoma or Wrangler) and trade in for bronco?
Glad you’re ok. Get a Winter beater and soldier on. Remember, it’s still 2020.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Glad your ok, buy a beater, one you can stand for a year, negotiate hard and you can resell it for what you bought it for.

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad you are okay as well. Sorry about the car. I would suggest you get something just to get you through until your Bronco arrives. I wouldn’t chance buying something and trying to resell it. Just my opinion.

Sponsored

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice to hear that you didn't get hurt.
That said, if your reservation is prior to 9/2, I think your best move would be to buy a Jeep and cancel your reservation. :)

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the way the Tacoma / 4runners hold their value. I'd consider it if you're ok with trying to sell it on your own later. Dealers tend to offer wholesale prices on trades, whereas you should be able to get closer to retail on your own with a vehicle like that.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad you are ok. Pay special attention to how you feel the over the next week. Note headaches, strained muscles etc. & report it immediately. It is amazing what can surface later down the road from a vehicle collision.

As far as what you should buy really depends on your budget & how much you were looking to finance the Bronco for. Don't expect to get top dollar on a trade in no matter what it is.
Good luck with it.

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd go used Wrangler. I've had 3 and enjoyed all of them. In less than a year you can probably sell it for close to or as much as you paid for it.
My last Wrangler I bought used for $19K, put about $3K into it on aftermarket stuff and sold it 3 years later for $22K.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad you're okay and sorry about the car

Why not get a tj or some old but sound jeep for now, practice off-roading and sell for a premium during the summer?

Whatever ya do, good luck to ya

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go buy a running/driveable bronco right now. They're holding value or going up, and easy to maintain, and gets you into a Bronco early! I bought one 5 months ago for 4500, have put 3k miles on it, about 1k in maintenance, and have been offered 10k for it already.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you can find a " Reliable" beater ( Depending on how much you have to drive it) that makes more sense.. Why?

1) if you buy a 2k car... you are guaranteed to not loose more than 2k. If you buy a 14k car...it could hold its value, but it could not.

2) you are saving...saving has the benefits of potential interest or investment return. If you spend it on a car... it will guaranteed to lose value and not gain value.

But again... depends on how good of a beater you get and if you can fix little things yourself.

Personally I'd buy a cheep domestic or a Hyundai for as little as I can get away with... but then again, I don't have to commute to work right now.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry to hear but at least your ok(a big thing in 2020),how you proceed would depend on ability to repair stuff yourself as a beater that needs repairs can negate equity in vehicle for resale if you have to get it repaired by a shop.

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd go used Wrangler. I've had 3 and enjoyed all of them. In less than a year you can probably sell it for close to or as much as you paid for it.
My last Wrangler I bought used for $19K, put about $3K into it on aftermarket stuff and sold it 3 years later for $22K.
This may have worked before but are you sure it will work in the future? Once the Bronco comes out, I would expect an increase of used Jeeps on the dealer lots. There is a chance that it could effect used Jeep prices. Just something to think about.

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So sorry to read about the accident, but glad you're okay.

I'd buy a beater and either sell it upon taking delivery of the Bronco, or keep it as an emergency vehicle.
Sponsored