Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We are going to take our Bronco to our vacation home and leave it there all summer to ride the trails and then bring it home in the winter. Not sure that we want to drive a Badlands SAS 650 miles twice a year though if we do we can leave the F150 there when we bring the Bronco home.
Anyhow on to the question, if we tow it back and forth which do you think is better and why?
I can put it on my 24' aluminum trailer and from previous experience get around 13 mpg. Problem here is I might get rock damage to the Bronco as the trailer doesn't have any protection up front. I could put it on my gooseneck and it would be higher up and more protected and I would probably get 10-11 mpg.
Third option is buy a tow bar and tow it behind the F350. I would guess we might get 15mpg but once again would have the chance of rock damage. I would also have to buy a tow bar..
Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Since the wait for your Bronco was a long, and arduous journey I would say anything that won't get you any rock dings on that new baby. The loss in mpg's aren't going to be that great over 650 miles. Any damage from flying debris will cost you much more to repair. IMHO

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I assume you are not doing any overnight stops that would require a place to park the trailer. Setting up the Bronco to tow could cost between $1K and $2K depending how it is done. That would buy a lot of gas just to tow it twice a year. O, I almost forgot put a shipping blanket on the front of the Bronco.

OP
OP

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I assume you are not doing any overnight stops that would require a place to park the trailer. Setting up the Bronco to tow could cost between $1K and $2K depending how it is done. That would buy a lot of gas just to tow it twice a year. O, I almost forgot put a shipping blanket on the front of the Bronco.
Thanks. No we make the 650 miles in one day. Sounds like driving it or trailering it is the best option for now. If I ever get rich and can afford a motorhome a tow bar at that point would be nice.

Thanks on the advice about the shipping blanket. Any ideas on how to secure it? Small ratchet straps?

gpitman

Badlands
First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Ford F-350 Powerstroke, 2019 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since you already own a trailer and only going to be moving twice a year, my suggestion would be to trailer it. The expense of the tow bar setup would outweigh the MPG decrease.

You could add mud flaps or those curtains that we see on motorhomes that tow a vehicle behind them. You could make them easily removable.

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks. No we make the 650 miles in one day. Sounds like driving it or trailering it is the best option for now. If I ever get rich and can afford a motorhome a tow bar at that point would be nice.

Thanks on the advice about the shipping blanket. Any ideas on how to secure it? Small ratchet straps?
I have no idea if this will work, but could you put a shipping blanket over the front, and then a car cover over the blanket to hold it in place?
Sponsored