First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (First Edition)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you Wanta try to save a trip:
slightly pull back the rear trim piece, look to see if highlighted part is firmly connected.

Ford Bronco 2024 Trailer Tow Kit  (New Ford Accessory Part) 1708435220250
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The wiring harness is the biggest for the kit (21-23)
If you have the brake controller installed, what's it connected to if there is no wiring
The trailer brake controller is a stand alone plug and play kit that works with the tow harness and module but does not connect directly to them.

RoverDude

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The trailer brake controller is a stand alone plug and play kit that works with the tow harness and module but does not connect directly to them.
I understand, my statement and question was in response to gabby prior post
RagnarKon, do you think this kit would fit the 22? I already have the brake modulator installed (by the dealer) and the the hitch. I know I'm missing the module and the wire harness from the module to 7-Pin. Or do you think it would be cheaper and easier to just get the wire harness and module?

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I understand, my statement and question was in response to gabby prior post
The brake controller plugs into the harness but doesn't do anything without the module in the rear and the harness that runs from the module to the 7 pin connector.

I do need to pull off that panel and see what's there, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sponsored

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The brake controller plugs into the harness but doesn't do anything without the module in the rear and the harness that runs from the module to the 7 pin connector.

I do need to pull off that panel and see what's there, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
There is no harness needed between the module and the 7 pin harness. A dummy module unplugs, and the real module plugs into an existing harness. It's all interconnected, just not directly. That's what is behind the panel.

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There is no harness needed between the module and the 7 pin harness. A dummy module unplugs, and the real module plugs into an existing harness. It's all interconnected, just not directly. That's what is behind the panel.
So I should only need the module itself? I have the 7 Pin connector, hitch and brake regulator.

RoverDude

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

the brake controller is total's separate from the trailer module. If you had all wiring complete, but no trailer module installed, You could have reverse lights and the trailer Eletric brake signal.(not that would mean much)
The trailer module contains the relay for aux battery power. It also creates the left, right and parking lights signals.
So I should only need the module itself? I have the 7 Pin connector, hitch and brake regulator.
You have a 21 to 23?
Did you run or did anyone run wire up front to the seven pin connector?
It's just strange to have the seven pin connector but no trailer tow module.

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

the brake controller is total's separate from the trailer module. If you had all wiring complete, but no trailer module installed, You could have reverse lights and the trailer Eletric brake signal.(not that would mean much)
The trailer module contains the relay for aux battery power. It also creates the left, right and parking lights signals.

You have a 21 to 23?
Did you run or did anyone run wire up front to the seven pin connector?
It's just strange to have the seven pin connector in no module.
I have a 22' Base model.

I had my dealer install the BRONCO 2021-2024 TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER TOWING, but when they installed the OEM hitch, they said there was no 7-pin. Well... the guy at the front desk said there wasn't one. I wasn't able to speak to the actual mechanic.

I got the connector from OEM Ford Parts Direct, intending to swap the carpet out for rubber and see what was behind that panel to finish the wiring. The interior never came in, so I never pulled the panel.

And now that I'm looking at stuff, I see there's a BRONCO 2021-2024 LUMEN 4/7 PIN TRAILER HITCH WIRING HARNESS now available from Ford. This appears to have what I need?

RoverDude

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You have a hitch without out any electrical connections at it (4 or 4/7 pin) correct?

The lumen kit is what you need.
It has the wiring and trailer tow module ( this is what makes the trailer light) and the connector

The brake controller is a separate item that plugs in under driver side footwell if you will.

Lumen kit takes takes some time to install.
You can look at my post before that lumen kit was released for all the steps.
Same eq, just had to piece meal the parts.

If you can get the kit online and have the dealer install it and agree to the online install pricing. That is the way to go!!!

Sponsored

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You have a hitch without out any electrical connections at it (4 or 4/7 pin) correct?

The lumen kit is what you need.
It has the wiring and trailer tow module ( this is what makes the trailer light) and the connector

The brake controller is a separate item that plugs in under driver side footwell if you will.

Lumen kit takes takes some time to install.
You can look at my post before that lumen kit was released for all the steps.
Same eq, just had to piece meal the parts.

If you can get the kit online and have the dealer install it and agree to the online install pricing. That is the way to go!!!
I do have wiring for a 4 pin. That came with the trailer hitch kit.

I have your post bookmarked for reference from back in 21' when you did the write up. Things look like they've gotten easier since then.

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 22' Base model.

I had my dealer install the BRONCO 2021-2024 TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER TOWING, but when they installed the OEM hitch, they said there was no 7-pin. Well... the guy at the front desk said there wasn't one. I wasn't able to speak to the actual mechanic.

I got the connector from OEM Ford Parts Direct, intending to swap the carpet out for rubber and see what was behind that panel to finish the wiring. The interior never came in, so I never pulled the panel.

And now that I'm looking at stuff, I see there's a BRONCO 2021-2024 LUMEN 4/7 PIN TRAILER HITCH WIRING HARNESS now available from Ford. This appears to have what I need?
Yes, it looks like you need this 4/7 pin wiring harness. From what I understand, you purchased the OEM Hitch and the Trailer Brake Controller and had your dealer do the install. Since the OEM hitch does not include the 4/7 pin harness, the trailer brake control really can't do anything. the wiring harness you linked, is what you need to complete your hitch set up.

strawhatguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond / Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Or if you live near me, just visit and Iā€™ll just program it for you.)
Can others program it too? As in is it a Forscan sort of deal?

The Broncoā€™s first vehicle Iā€™m getting into modding myself; as an actual programmer by trade it sure would be nice to have an ā€˜open sourceā€™ sort of vehicle. I get the legalities and marketing and warranty and safety reasons why car companies donā€™t do that though. But man there could be some awesome mods folks could do.

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, it looks like you need this 4/7 pin wiring harness. From what I understand, you purchased the OEM Hitch and the Trailer Brake Controller and had your dealer do the install. Since the OEM hitch does not include the 4/7 pin harness, the trailer brake control really can't do anything. the wiring harness you linked, is what you need to complete your hitch set up.

Sweet! Now... do I want to do it or have Ford do it....

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Sweet! Now... do I want to do it or have Ford do it....
For $120, I would let Ford do it, if you have a local dealer listed under the participating dealers for install from the Ford Accessories website.
Sponsored