David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@RagnarKon Thank you. While its handy could you share the whole doc with other vehicles, flat tow, accessories, etc?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Attachments

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't really see any changes. Look at that Everglades rating though, yeesh.

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyone catch the max tongue weight? I’m looking at a bicycle rack for two electric bikes (53 lbs each, so a little over 100 lbs plus hitch, and if the hitch has to stick out a little further for the 5th tire…)?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't really see any changes. Look at that Everglades rating though, yeesh.
Dat winch be heavy I guess.

Anyone catch the max tongue weight? I’m looking at a bicycle rack for two electric bikes (53 lbs each, so a little over 100 lbs plus hitch, and if the hitch has to stick out a little further for the 5th tire…)?
Ford just says 10% of maximum tow capacity. So... 300-350 lbs.

And yeah for a bike rack you'll probably need an extension, especially if you have Sasquatch.

Sponsored

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dat winch be heavy I guess.

Ford just says 10% of maximum tow capacity. So... 300-350 lbs.

And yeah for a bike rack you'll probably need an extension, especially if you have Sasquatch.
Wasn’t there something about if the tongue sticks out more than x feet, it cuts the max tongue weight by 50%?

Kevin Scarbel

Everglades
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Everglades 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Woohoo......I can only tow 3,080 pounds. Thanks a lot (sarcasm, on my part).

But with a truck background, it is interesting to me that the diesel F-750 medium is available with a 37,000lb GVWR. That's impressive.

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am curious how they come up with these numbers. I know on their trucks they do a lot of testing, but I wonder if they do the same with bronco. I pulled an RV very close to if not slightly over the 3500lbs limit that I thought I had (seems Badlands sasquatch 2.7 auto is less). I didn't feel squirrely, nor did I feel that I couldn't stop (aftermarket brake controller). The power is there, and the temps never got high. Of course I didn't do any major hills being in FL. Oh well...

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just going to remind everyone that tow ratings are up to SAE J2807. They didn’t do a ton of physics simulations and arrive at exactly 3500lbs, etc. as a "max" but some calculations are done for the deviations from nice even numbers.

Motor Trend, surprisingly, had a decent article about a prior version of the tests.
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard/

Here is a link to SAE for the 2020 standards but they want to charge $130? Or you can add one more subscription leech to your finances.
https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2807_202002/

Los

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disco3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford gave you a number meaning (I'm protecting myself) if you decide to modify it that's totally up to you, but can't go back to Ford and complaint... I'm towing a 13 footer trailer, have done it twice from LA to San bernardino County, the WT took it on stride, I even tried CC, it work as advertised. In April I'm taking the trailer to oceana camp grounds, I'll let you guy know how it went... :unsure:

Sponsored

isaacfinnegan

Badlands
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This has been discussed in some other threads a bunch. The towing capacity is primarily limited by the fram supports around the hitch, and not the power/brakes/frame.
The ford hitch is rated at class 2, but the curt hitch is rated at class 3. This doesnt' mean the bronco with a curt hitch can tow up to 8000lbs (class 3).

The ranger has the same frame and engine (2.3L) and with towing package can tow up to 7500 lbs, but without (but adding aftermarket hitch) is rated for 3500 lbs. This is because the tow package actually has stronger bracing at the hitch/frame.

The bronco raptor is rated at 4500 lbs. due to some additional cross-bracing on the frame in the area the muffler is on non-raptors.

FWIW, I tow my boat/trailered @ ~4000lbs and have no issues. I am not towing far, and mostly flat, and never at freeway speeds (although I have before), and there are no issues. The risk is going to be around potentially torquing the frame around the hitch due to excessive weight.

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If something bad were to happen and the insurance co. found out you were over the max by any amount they are not liable to pay for any damage or injury. Learned this from my son's body shop that works with insurance company's every day. BEWARE! Jim.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dear manufacturers, please make a removable door/top 4x4 out of a full size truck w/ V8. I want the interior width and >8,000 lbs towing. I’d trade the Bronco in a heartbeat!

just throwing this out there - I towed a small trailer last year (Coleman lantern) that I rented to see if we like trailer camping and we did. So we started looking to buy. We looked at several models but couldn’t find anything we truly loved that the Bronco could safely tow, or my wife’s Pacifica with the same rating. I didn’t want to get rid of the Bronco, asked my wife if she’d like to trade her minivan now that the kids are a bit older. Looked at a few SUVs and she said she always like grand Cherokees. Well, they have a 6200 rating so we found one and traded in and can tow our 4700 lb trailer!

23_Badlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 2d SAS 7sp(AB) Hi Tow Modular Hoop
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the tow capacity for a given configuration is blank what does that mean exactly? To be determined? Unsafe to tow anything? Common sense says every configuration is capable of towing something--even if it's only 1000 lbs.

Last edited:

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If a given configuration is blank what does that mean exactly? To be determined? Unsafe to tow anything? Common sense says every configuration is capable of towing something--even if it's only 1000 lbs.
I think it means that configuration doesn’t exist ;)
Sponsored