Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Isnt this good news? Everyone was thinking the GVWR was like 7,000 lbs to match the wrangler class. People were freaking out on whether they could even load up the cargo hold and add a roof box for a family of four on a badlands.
We're mixing up GVWR and GCWR here, which are different things. The current thought is that GVWR will be just under 6000lbs to be in the same vehicle class as the Wrangler. Perhals there are GCWR limits to those classes too?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a fat girl. It'll be weird going from a 3200 lb car.

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on this...figure 4dr BL, 2.7, hardtop, lux will be around 5300lb curb weight and with my 3,395lb offroad camper, 2 adults (300lb total), 2 dogs (140lb total), Iā€™ll be 295lbs over the GVWR. Complete BS. It states max tow rating is with driver/passenger both weighing 150lbs and varies based on configuration.

So I want to know what 4dr trim with the 2.7 gets you that max 3,500 towing, because the way I see it is if the 4dr BL w/ 2.7 comes in at lets say 5200lb curb weight with soft top and standard package, add driver/passenger 300lbs, that takes you to 5500lbs and tow rating of only 3,340lbs.
Wait, are you saying I need to go on a diet? ??

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Regardless of GVWR and regardless of power (I know it sounds crazy) the tow rating will always be low because true off road vehicles such as the Bronco and Wrangler have soft suspension. It will sag under have load and eventually be ruined. Its the very same reason that plowing snow with a jeep wrangler is absolutely stupid.

Soft suspension
Trailer weight doen't put all that much weight on the suspension. Tongue weight is a fraction of the weight of a trailer. Don't think these are going to have soft suspensions either.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Trailer weight doen't put all that much weight on the suspension. Tongue weight is a fraction of the weight of a trailer. Don't think these are going to have soft suspensions either.
My 3400lb trailer has a tongue weight of 400lbs. It sags the rear aftermarket suspension of my f150, sags the rear of wifeā€™s grand cherokee causing the air suspension to adjust and self level and made the gladiator rubicon I hooked it up to sag in the rear.

Sponsored

Bronco Bill

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Venza
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Very disappointing. I've waited 3 years to discover a fully loaded Wild Trac costing nearly $60k with the same engine and transmission as an F-150 can't tow half of the F-150 capacity. I don't want to do it, but I'll have to cancel my reservation and buy a Gladiator that can tow 7,500 lbs. I hear the off-road soft suspension argument, but a $60,000 investment must be more than an off-road toy. BTW my 45 year old Scout tows my 5,000lbs boat and trailer. Its disappointing such a great company, engine and vehicle can't match the competition.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Very disappointing. I've waited 3 years to discover a fully loaded Wild Trac costing nearly $60k with the same engine and transmission as an F-150 can't tow half of the F-150 capacity. I don't want to do it, but I'll have to cancel my reservation and buy a Gladiator that can tow 7,500 lbs. I hear the off-road soft suspension argument, but a $60,000 investment must be more than an off-road toy. BTW my 45 year old Scout tows my 5,000lbs boat and trailer. Its disappointing such a great company, engine and vehicle can't match the competition.
Letā€™s turn the tables around. The most capable Bronco has proven its ability to take on the Rubicon Trail. The most capable F-150 canā€™t come close to matching the Broncoā€™s off road ability on trails such as the Rubicon. Use the right tool for the right job. Medium to heavy towing is not what the Bronco is made for. Your Scout with its 304 or 345 is the 2nd Gen of that nameplate thatā€™s closer to the K5 Blazer or Ramcharger in its design capabilities as itā€™s much larger in size than the original Bronco.

J Jernigan

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no doubt the bronco will tow your boat. The thing is times have changed over the last 45 years and many steps are taken to insure the manufacturers arenā€™t liable for when you are towing more then they have tested for. This is just a case of getting the right tool for the job. In your case, the Bronco isnā€™t it.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Letā€™s turn the tables around. The most capable Bronco has proven its ability to take on the Rubicon Trail. The most capable F-150 canā€™t come close to matching the Broncoā€™s off road ability on trails such as the Rubicon. Use the right tool for the right job. Medium to heavy towing is not what the Bronco is made for. Your Scout with its 304 or 345 is the 2nd Gen of that nameplate thatā€™s closer to the K5 Blazer or Ramcharger in its design capabilities as itā€™s much larger in size than the original Bronco.
A) If you're going to lecture others about using the right tool for the job, maybe figure it out for yourself first. He reserved a Wildtrak...

B) If you think that 5,000lbs is "medium to heavy towing" in 2020, then have a peek at the tow ratings on modern crossovers (ie minivans in disguise), let alone SUVs and quarter-tons. Then make sure you're sitting down before you look up half tons.
Sponsored