Sponsored

First time towing with my Bronco Wildtrak and new Electric Brake Controller Ford Accessories -- 3300lbs Trailer weight

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I just posted this morning my how to install brake controller video and now posting my first time towing using it.

And if you missed it here is the Brake Controller install video as well.

Sponsored

bronconagurski

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 corvette and 2022 Maverick Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The trailer brake controller was included with the trailer tow pkg. on my Maverick. Wonder why it's not included on the Bronco tow pkg.?

OP
OP
Ice Age

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The trailer brake controller was included with the trailer tow pkg. on my Maverick. Wonder why it's not included on the Bronco tow pkg.?
No idea and pretty ridiculous and or maybe with all the build production issues they didn't install it.

Reactions: TG3

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No idea and pretty ridiculous and or maybe with all the build production issues they didn't install it.
It was never listed in the specs for the tow package, so I donā€™t think they ever meant to include it. Which is pretty stupid.

OP
OP
Ice Age

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It was never listed in the specs for the tow package, so I donā€™t think they ever meant to include it. Which is pretty stupid.
I agree but can tell you all the years of buying trucks it was never included and even to the point my 2019 Ranger with the Tow Package does not have it. Keep in mind these vehicles are only capable of 3500 lbs max. Which I really question why a Maverick would have a electric brake set up. I mean how much can the Maverick tow and at the same time these vehicles are not designed for big trailers and weights.

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 2017 F150 incuded a built-in factory brake controller with Tow. Itā€™s quite nice. My last new Ford before that was a 2001, so I assumed this was common practice by nowā€¦?

OP
OP
Ice Age

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My 2017 F150 incuded a built-in factory brake controller with Tow. Itā€™s quite nice. My last new Ford before that was a 2001, so I assumed this was common practice by nowā€¦?
It is more so now than before but most small trailers do not have Electric Brake set up. Single axle do not only dual axle and like my Motorcycle trailer its rated at 7k gross but cannot use that much weight.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It is more so now than before but most small trailers do not have Electric Brake set up. Single axle do not only dual axle and like my Motorcycle trailer its rated at 7k gross but cannot use that much weight.
I have a 7x12 single axle cargo trailer with electric brakes. šŸ’šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

bronconagurski

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here's what you get on the Maverick 4K tow pkg. and it
only costs an additional $745. Some of the additional items and features included are:

• A transmission oil cooler
  • An upgraded radiator
  • An upgraded cooling fan
  • A lower-geared axle
  • A 2-inch trailer hitch receiver
  • A seven-pin trailer wiring plug
  • an integrated trailer brake controller

Psny

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer, F two fiddy
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My superduty came with factory tow/camper package but no controller, had dealer install.

Sponsored

bronconagurski

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I agree but can tell you all the years of buying trucks it was never included and even to the point my 2019 Ranger with the Tow Package does not have it. Keep in mind these vehicles are only capable of 3500 lbs max. Which I really question why a Maverick would have a electric brake set up. I mean how much can the Maverick tow and at the same time these vehicles are not designed for big trailers and weights.
Maverick with the standard engine can tow 2000 lbs. With the larger engine and the 4k tow pkg. it can tow 4000 lbs.

OP
OP
Ice Age

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Bronco17055

Outer Banks
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you for the informative video; got my parts this weekend and was planning to do the same install. That said, Ford provided me only the flat 4 harness. Our Bronco didnā€™t get the tow package from factory per supply issues. Any idea what harness / plug fits the bumper? Dealership says the parts manual is incomplete.

OP
OP
Ice Age

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thank you for the informative video; got my parts this weekend and was planning to do the same install. That said, Ford provided me only the flat 4 harness. Our Bronco didnā€™t get the tow package from factory per supply issues. Any idea what harness / plug fits the bumper? Dealership says the parts manual is incomplete.
Damn wish I could help but think some here have gone down this road and can help.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My state, PA, requires trailer brakes over 3000#, so to tow at max capacity with a Bronco requires brakes. If you get a trailer with "inertia" brake controller ypu don't need a brake controller on the tow vehicle. See U-Haul rental units for examples.

Alaska doesn't require trailer brakes until 5001#.

As to why the tow package does not include a controller,consider that if ypu have a controller you like and are trading vehicles you probably would transfer it.

The other thing is cost. Ford's list price for a $99 device is $339. Discounted around $280, which would buy 3-4 controllers from normal sources.
Sponsored