Sponsored

Tow Hitch Install

• Thread starter Deleted member 49144
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Deleted member 49144

Install is pretty straight forward as far as the hitch goes. I have wiring harness (4 pin) on order from Ford, and idk what I’m going to do about that yet. From ford’s installation instructions, looks like a nightmare. I’m wondering if there is some way to run it under the vehicle instead of removing all of the interior.

I will say this much, the finish on this hitch is pretty bad, I know it’s just a hitch, but I’m probably going to remove it and take it down to have it powder coated. Might not bother anybody else, but for me, I can still see it. Once I get that back, I’ll bolt it back up, which should take no time at all. Then I’ll figure out the wiring 🥴

IMG_6735.jpeg

IMG_6734.jpeg
Sponsored

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also heard the harness wiring is no fun to install. What do you plan on towing? I just installed a Curt #13493 hitch which was easy but does not have a plate or area to mount an electrical connector. I only plan to hook up cargo brackets, bike racks, and maybe a very basic trailer with no lights.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

I purchased a jet ski here about a week ago. I won’t be hauling anything more than a small camper or trailer, 4 pin would be all that’s needed. I did noticed the nice bracket that comes with the Ford hitch, and I also assumed that the factory ford harness connector is meant to fit tightly in that empty space. I don’t think anything aftermarket would have that, without splicing the Ford connecting end onto the aftermarket wiring. Another reason I stuck with ford harness. I want it to be clean as possible.

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hear that, going with Ford's option means it all works together as it should. Good luck with wiring!

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I had the dealer install the wiring harness. Confirmed. They told me it is an absolute nightmare of an installation.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

I hear that, going with Ford's option means it all works together as it should. Good luck with wiring!
Thank you, it’s the last piece to the puzzle. I didn’t really have much of a choice, as I drove an hour to pick it up, and the way it sat on the lot was the way I was taking delivery. I’d definitively make it a priority for future vehicles to order it with it, or come with it already installed. I’m down here in SW FL and there are many jeeps/trucks/large SUV’s

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wired the Ford 4 pin harness into my Badlands. You have to remove all of the interior panels in the cargo area, but it really wasn't all that bad to install. I found that the anticipation of having to do it way worse than the actual install itself.

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 Hyundai Santa-Fe, 2019 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I installed the 4 pin harness from Ford myself. Truth be told it was time consuming but not difficult. I stupidly removed the tail lights (which it turns out you dont need to do) but it gave be better access to everything. All that being said, I ran the green wire (goes across the back of the vehicle to the other tail light) UNDER the bronco with loom and ties. it is a few hours of work, but none of it difficult, just laborious.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

I wired the Ford 4 pin harness into my Badlands. You have to remove all of the interior panels in the cargo area, but it really wasn't all that bad to install. I found that the anticipation of having to do it way worse than the actual install itself.
Maybe that’s what is getting in my head. Do you have to remove all the front side panels as well? From the instructions it looks like it just follows the standard wiring harness all the way back.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe that’s what is getting in my head. Do you have to remove all the front side panels as well? From the instructions it looks like it just follows the standard wiring harness all the way back.
I believe you do. If I remember all the way back to Sept. '21, it seems that the biggest pain was routing the power wire through the suggested grommet in the firewall.
All that being said, on my new order I ordered it with the tow package this time. Not really because of the work involved, but to have the seven pin hookup (which I may never use, who knows) and it doesn't seem to be a constraint now.

Sponsored

Mike Kleen

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG Base MIC
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I installed the Curt hitch and wiring. Was maybe an hour job. The power wire i ran along the driver underside with zipties and used some heat tape in places. Followed a YouTube vid. Here's the wiring harness. You'll still need a mount but since I rarely use mine I just keep it tucked away.
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56468

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had the dealer install the wiring harness. Confirmed. They told me it is an absolute nightmare of an installation.
What did that run you?
I have the Curt hitch installed and want to have my dealer install the wiring.
Going to just use FP points for it, but wondering how much it's going to use.

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
@mC.242 I don't remember exactly. I had them do a few things at the same time (service, wire up two sets of lights, install hitch and wiring harness). That came out to close to $1500. My dealer is pretty up front and fair to me. They charged me accessory installation rate for everything instead of their normal service rate. They told me they wouldn't charge me full rate because the Ford instructions on the wiring harness were that bad. lol.

Honestly, reading through other responses in this thread, if you have the time, you may just want to do it yourself as it's more of a time sink than a technically difficult install.

I only have beginner electrical experience working on my 95 YJ, so I felt working on a modern auto electrical rat's nest was above my pay grade, which is why I just had the dealer do it since I trust them (at least my dealer) to do it right.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

I installed the Curt hitch and wiring. Was maybe an hour job. The power wire i ran along the driver underside with zipties and used some heat tape in places. Followed a YouTube vid. Here's the wiring harness. You'll still need a mount but since I rarely use mine I just keep it tucked away.
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56468
I’m gonna be using the ford wiring harness. I like having the mounting plate that keeps it looking cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick66

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150(sold), S197 GT C/S (sold) 22 2DR BB EG SAS V6
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Like many others, I removed the factory tow hitch and wiring from my build to expedite the process. (It Still took 11 months). Anyway, I ordered a hitch and wiring kit from an on-line company. Hitch was a half of a beer project. But I was skeptical of tackling the wiring. Living in MN, with snow, salt, ice, etc, having the wire UNDER my Bronco was not an option. But I didn't want to remove all the interior panels to run the hot wire up to the battery. But, having some free time recently, I dove into it.

The rear is easy. Remove the taillight assemblies, disconnect the wiring, attach the new harness, carefully tuck everything back in, and re-install the taillights. It is a bit tight, but it all fit. Now for the power.

I started near the driver seat. I only removed the door sill trim. I was able to carefully tuck the wire under the driver kick panel, and then up through the rubber grommet that is on the firewall to get the power wire into the engine bay. Then I headed toward the back. Again, with a little persuasion, I tucked the wire under the rear side panel along the floor. Yeah! Or so I thought. .... There is no way to get the power wire from the inside of the Bronco into the taillight area to connect everything. Or is there?

I used the phone a friend option, and reached out to an autobody man in my rolodex. We pulled the two left cargo tie downs, and under the carpet, between the tie downs, is another rubber grommet! Run the wire through the grommet, and you will only have a few feet of exposed wire before you can run it into the taillight cavity. Splice the wires per the harness instructions, drill a hole for the grounding wire, attach the power to the battery, and bazinga! Four Pin wiring complete. Sorry, I did not have time or foresight to take any pic or videos. Here to help if you have any questions. Trust me, give it a go. It's not complicated. I think I have less than $300 into the hitch and harness, plus a few beers for the phone a friend.
Sponsored