First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've had that damn wiring harness sitting in a box for a year now. Just can't motivate myself to do that bitch and a half of an install.
Sponsored

swmetal

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C8 vette
Your Bronco Model
Base
My question is, what else do I have to add to be able to install this Ford 4/7 on the Ford hitch. What additional wires will I need? I already have the Curt 4 pin on the way, and Iā€™ve already run the 12V line to the battery.
The 7 pin connector requires installing a brake controller on your Bronco. The 7 pin allows using a trailer with electric brakes. Most states require trailer brakes when towing above 3,000 lbs.

However, boat trailers with brakes don't usually have electric ones. Instead they have hydraulic surge brakes. Most boat trailers will require a 5 pin connector, which is like the 4 pin plus a 5th wire to your backup lights.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

The 7 pin connector requires installing a brake controller on your Bronco. The 7 pin allows using a trailer with electric brakes. Most states require trailer brakes when towing above 3,000 lbs.

However, boat trailers with brakes don't usually have electric ones. Instead they have hydraulic surge brakes. Most boat trailers will require a 5 pin connector, which is like the 4 pin plus a 5th wire to your backup lights.
Ive run across a wireless brake controller that Curt makes, and I also came across autow brake and they look like good options. Will this negate the need to run wires? If I can run someone like this, then what other wires am I missing? Would I just need to splice in a 7 pin end onto the Curt 4 pin harness, so that I can plug it into the Ford 4/7 mount?

https://getautowbrake.com/

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Or I can keep the Ford 4 pin end and bracket. Then just plug this right into it to be able to connect a 7 pin trailer

For some reason I donā€™t feel it would be that easy. Even if I was using the Curt wireless brake controller. Would I still be missing another wire from the battery ?

IMG_6831.png

swmetal

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C8 vette
Your Bronco Model
Base
Or I can keep the Ford 4 pin end and bracket. Then just plug this right into it to be able to connect a 7 pin trailer

For some reason I donā€™t feel it would be that easy. Even if I was using the Curt wireless brake controller. Would I still be missing another wire from the battery ?
That adapter is for connecting a 4 pin trailer to a 7 pin tow vehicle, opposite what you have. If your trailer has a 7 pin connector, it has electric brakes. In that case you must have a brake controller, wired or wireless, for your tow vehicle.

Sponsored

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I also heard the harness wiring is no fun to install. What do you plan on towing? I just installed a Curt #13493 hitch which was easy but does not have a plate or area to mount an electrical connector. I only plan to hook up cargo brackets, bike racks, and maybe a very basic trailer with no lights.
Here is the Curt mounting plate for those not wanting the plug to hang out. For $1 it's an easy choice.

CURT 58300 Vehicle-Side Trailer... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049CGJAU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Update 3:

Sorry Iā€™ve been on hiatus for a while, went down to Key West for a bit to get away. Anyways, I decided to ditch the 7 pin idea and stick with the 4. I changed the box placement and I am going to put it behind the left tail light for a cleaner look. Iā€™m going to use 3m double sided tape to adhere it inside the rear fender panel. I was able to splice together the Ford end onto the Curt wiring harness, that I finally received in the mail.

Iā€™m using platform mounts to attach to wire ties, there is a good shot of what they look like in the pictures. These are great for keeping a cleaner look and keeping things in place. Tonight Iā€™ll be running the wires through plastic tubing and getting it ready to install on the vehicle. After I get it all installed and plugged in, it should be ready to go.

In the meantime, does anyone have a good receiver they recommend (preferably and adjustable one).

IMG_6838.jpeg

IMG_6941.jpeg

IMG_6940.jpeg

IMG_6942.jpeg

IMG_6949.jpeg

IMG_6950.jpeg

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Update 4:

After messing with this thing some more last night, I decided to again move the box down underneath the tail light. There is a perfect spot down there that is flat and it will fit right down in there without removing anything additional. I also spent some time shortening the harness that I goes to the left tail light, as Curt made this very long, at least for the area I want to put it in.

In the end Iā€™m going to have a near completely modified harness, which Iā€™m okay with, because it will have tubing and tape around it to where youā€™ll never be able to see any splicing. Adding some more pictures of where Iā€™ve got now. Iā€™m working on left side now, just need to figure out how long I need the ground wire. Last picture shows where Iā€™m at with the harness so far, I shortened it just enough to go up the side of the tail light and plug in

IMG_6956.jpeg

IMG_6958.jpeg

IMG_6962.jpeg

IMG_6963.jpeg

IMG_6964.jpeg

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Update 5 :

Got the wiring harness to the correct lengths (most of it) and decided to mount it on bronco. I ran into an issue, was easily fixed but it to be noted. I donā€™t know if it would be the same if you donā€™t use plastic tubing, but I had to route the left tail light wiring behind the trim piece and the tail light itself. It sticks out too far if you donā€™t, and wonā€™t let you mount the outside cover piece back on.

I took out the 3 plastic mount bolts that hold the small trim piece on, which Iā€™ve circled in one of the pictures. Pop out the very bottom trim piece that wraps around the corner, only pop out the side by the tail gate. The other side is behind the fender guard. This will give you access to the bottom bolt. If you remove all 3 of these, it will give you just enough room to squeeze it behind the mounting tabs.

Tomorrow Iā€™m going to run to the other side and see how much I need to adjust for length. I cut the power wire shorter because it was way too long and Iā€™ll also connect that and screw the ground wire in. I think the time consuming part is behind, and itā€™s just more adjusting the lengths. Iā€™ve just been working on it a bit every night after work, but should have it done by this weekend. šŸ‘

The last picture shows where Iā€™ll be doing the final routing. Try to mount everything you can behind the trim piece, it will keep it out of the way when you go to mount the outside cover back on.

IMG_6969.jpeg

IMG_6970.jpeg

IMG_6971.jpeg

IMG_6980.jpeg

IMG_6979.jpeg

IMG_6982.jpeg

IMG_6981.jpeg

IMG_6984.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Update 6:

I got the left side all buttoned and finished up. With the cover on, you can only see the biggest section of wire, which wonā€™t completely fit behind the panel. Once you get the panel on, you can put them over behind the bottom piece, and it should hide 95% of the wiring. I think the part that tweaked me the most was sanding down the paint off the frame lol.

After itā€™s all said and done, Iā€™ll pretty much have a custom length harness, I hated all the extra that was hanging everywhere, and quite frankly, I didnā€™t have the extra room to shove it all back behind the tail light. I also shortened the end that goes to the hitch so where you canā€™t see it. I need to look for bigger frame pins that have the built in wire tie. The ones that Ford provided are too small at this end of the vehicle. Tonight Iā€™m going to finish up with the right side, which is A LOT easier. Then Iā€™m going to hope everything works.

I ran into an issue that I wasnā€™t sure about. It seems that the Curt kit and the Ford kit came with two different sized fuses. The Curt kit comes with a 10 amp, while the Ford comes with a 15 amp. I checked the power wire from both, thinking that could have been the difference, and they both use 12 gauge wire. I then contributed it to the frequency of the box. The Curt came with a 10 amp, and thatā€™s the box Iā€™m using, so thatā€™s also the fuse I decided to use. Hoping I donā€™t have any issues down the road. I did make quite a few splices in different areas, but they are all tight, and with heat shrink wrap on each one.

IMG_6990.jpeg

IMG_6996.jpeg

IMG_6999.jpeg

IMG_7004.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

swmetal

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C8 vette
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting šŸ¤”. Didnā€™t even know they made one that goes behind bumper, donā€™t know if I really like it. Looks out of place
Looks like it would be very difficult to plug into the 4 pin part.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Looks like it would be very difficult to plug into the 4 pin part.

I agree, someone definitely modified that to fit there. I can tell by the almost 2 inches of bolt sticking out the other side lol.
Sponsored