Sponsored

Tow Hitch Install

• Thread starter Deleted member 49144
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

If you aren't using the cover I used, I don't see why you couldn't use the Ford 4 pin on the Curt plug n play harness, just use the appropriate sized solder sleeves and some shrink tubing
Meant to post a link to it in my last reply but didn’t.

CURT 58200 Vehicle-Side 4-Pin Flat Trailer Wiring Harness Connector Dust Cover https://a.co/d/2E2S7iu

So I think that’s what I’m going to do, I’ll still have to run the one wire up front, but this will save a lot of it. I’ll just attach the Ford 4 pin to Curt harness 👍
Sponsored

Free2Roam

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is the snapshot of the metal housing mount and cover I used for anyone interested, $18. You can see in this pic a bit better why the Ford 4 pin won't plug into the back of this setup.

Screenshot_20230511-142310_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Here is the snapshot of the metal housing mount and cover I used for anyone interested, $18. You can see in this pic a bit better why the Ford 4 pin won't plug into the back of this setup.

Screenshot_20230511-142310_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I did see that, and that’s a good option. I guess there is a few ways to tackle this at this point. If I hadn’t of used for point, I would have highly consider going with Curt. I’m probably going to order Curt Harness today and pick up Ford harness that I ordered.

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Got my Bronco just over a year ago and installed the curt hitch and 7 pin plug connector but not the harness.
Turns out it was a lucky no purchase because curt now has a different harness for non led lighting.
So my question.
Can you use the Aux Switch and rear factory installed wire for the hitch wiring adapter?
Worse case you would have to leave the aux switch on at all times.
Does anyone know if the vehicle lights work if the fuse to the trailer harness is blown or out? That would be the same as the aux switch in the off position.

Thanks,

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For people that used the Curt hitch and harness mounting bracket - where/how did you mount the bracket?

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
It does look like a good option. Why Fords is so complicated I don’t know. I’m one of those that likes the idea of the mounting brackets and cover not a dangling wire. Not sure why curt doesn’t just have that as an option. Or do they?
I have the dust cap also shown in later posts, so nothing dangles. I haven't seen the Ford harness, but doesn't that also have an exposed wires underneath also, going from the tail-lights to the 4 pin?

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

I did some more research and found this thread with some pictures.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/tow-package-hitch-and-plugs-pics-2021-bronco.9896/

This leads me to believe that the actual ford wiring harness comes with 4 AND 7 pin connector?! If so that’s a game changer. I’ll then have them both, just in case I ever want to tow a small camper. Seems campers all use 7 pin nowadays. I can stick with original plan, use ford end with Curt harness. I’ll just use shrink wrap and make it look as factory as possible.

IMG_6744.png

IMG_6747.png

IMG_6746.png

IMG_6745.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Stopped off at the dealer this morning and was given some interesting information. It looks like the 7/4 pin connector is made and is compatible, but only comes on the vehicle when you order the tow package from the factory. You CAN add it after the fact, but it requires re wiring the whole back end of the vehicle. The 4 pin is the only one that is manageable after the fact.

I am still planning on splicing into the curt harness. I’ll just lay it down side by side and match up the wires from top to bottom, they are different colors. It will save me from having to splice all the wires together. Anybody see an issue with this plan from experience? Sucks to pay $125 for just one piece.

min the grand scheme of things, GET THE TOW PACKAGE

Ford Bronco Tow Hitch Install IMG_6748

Ford Bronco Tow Hitch Install IMG_6749

Ford Bronco Tow Hitch Install IMG_6750

Ford Bronco Tow Hitch Install IMG_6751

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the dust cap also shown in later posts, so nothing dangles. I haven't seen the Ford harness, but doesn't that also have an exposed wires underneath also, going from the tail-lights to the 4 pin?
Yeah after looking at this more the Curt setup is probably the way to go. They sell a bracket for a dollar. With the dust cap that's probably good enough. Then there's the $18 bracket/adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/58300-Connec...f2-9026-f0623e5556c3&pd_rd_i=B0049CGJAU&psc=1

Sponsored
OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Update:

Today I dove in and started with the power cord. For nearly the whole install, I followed the main harness all the way back to the rear axle. It was a straight forward install, not hard at all, but definitely time consuming. Due to my situation, I am using parts from the Ford kit and will be ordering the Curt plug and play kit as well. I started with the Red power wire that came in the Ford kit, I used the smallest plastic tubing that I could find and ran the wire all the way through.

I took electrical tape and wrapped it from one end to the other, just one time around is enough, just to keep the tubing closed. I ended up using quite a few pieces from the Ford kit, it has really nice heat shielding in it, as well as zip ties that plug into the frame. I placed zip ties about every 4 inches down the main wiring harness. Placed some heat shielding in places that had wires next to it that were covered.

I rather impressed myself with the install so far. It actually looks like it came from Ford that way. I just need to get the Curt ordered tonight and get the Ford connector spliced in, and the rest should go MUCH quicker. I need to finish up a small bit in the back still, I ran out of tubing and I’ll have to get more at NAPA tomorrow. If I hadn’t already ordered the Ford hitch, I would have went with Curt and i wouldn’t have needed steps involved with retrofitting the ends.

IMG_6766.jpeg

IMG_6767.jpeg

IMG_6768.jpeg

IMG_6769.jpeg

IMG_6770.jpeg

IMG_6771.jpeg

IMG_6772.jpeg

IMG_6773.jpeg

IMG_6774.jpeg

IMG_6775.jpeg

IMG_6776.jpeg

IMG_6777.jpeg

IMG_6778.jpeg

IMG_6779.jpeg

IMG_6780.jpeg

IMG_6781.jpeg

IMG_6782.jpeg

IMG_6783.jpeg

IMG_6784.jpeg

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Update #2

I will just start out by saying, when you get to the back, the routing options are very limited. The muffler takes up a pretty large portion of the back of the vehicle, heat shield is A MUST. I’d also recommend the frame zip ties that push in, I used quite a few that are included in the Ford kit. I also used up nearly all of the heat shielding as well, it fits perfectly around the tubing that I purchased.

the only route that I could see that made sense, was to run it down along the side of the muffler and use a frame wire tie in places where I could. I also added another wire tie up near the brake lines. With the tubing and the heat shield, the muffler will never get hot enough to penetrate through all of it. I tried to run it on the top of the frame, but you could see nothing but silver through the wheel area, and was unsightly, so I adjusted it down next to the muffler. I mounted the Ford box in the area that I’d like to put the Curt box, just as an example. I’ll then run the tail light wires along the back of the bumper as neat as I can. I don’t have that 100% figured out yet, but will be able to get a better understanding once I have it in my hands.

I have slightly bigger tubing (to accommodate for more wires) for the rest of it, which I’m going to wrap in electrical tape as well and keep it all uniform. I should have the hitch back in the next 3 days, and I can get that mounted. Hardest part is now finished, and the rest should go much quicker.

IMG_6798.jpeg

IMG_6805.jpeg

IMG_6806.jpeg

IMG_6807.jpeg

IMG_6808.jpeg

IMG_6809.jpeg

IMG_6810.jpeg

IMG_6811.jpeg

IMG_6814.jpeg

IMG_6815.jpeg

IMG_6816.jpeg

IMG_6817.jpeg

klastinger

Badlands
First Name
Kirby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Install is pretty straight forward as far as the hitch goes. I have wiring harness (4 pin) on order from Ford, and idk what I’m going to do about that yet. From ford’s installation instructions, looks like a nightmare. I’m wondering if there is some way to run it under the vehicle instead of removing all of the interior.

I will say this much, the finish on this hitch is pretty bad, I know it’s just a hitch, but I’m probably going to remove it and take it down to have it powder coated. Might not bother anybody else, but for me, I can still see it. Once I get that back, I’ll bolt it back up, which should take no time at all. Then I’ll figure out the wiring 🥴

Ford Bronco Tow Hitch Install IMG_6817

Ford Bronco Tow Hitch Install IMG_6817
Install the curt wiring harness from trailer. Plugs into existing taillights wiring harness. Much easier and works awesome.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Install the curt wiring harness from trailer. Plugs into existing taillights wiring harness. Much easier and works awesome.
Yeah , that’s what I’m going to go with. I already purchased the Ford hitch, and I want to be able to keep the bracket that comes with it. So I’m going to splice in the Ford 4 pin head onto the Curt harness.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

Okay guys I have hit a bump in the road. I’ve done a bit more research and have decided I’d really like to install the Ford 4/7 pin connector that I posted earlier in this thread.

I also figured out that I believe it does come with a different mounting plate that I’ll have to get. No big deal. My question is, what else do I have to add to be able to install this Ford 4/7 on the Ford hitch. What additional wires will I need? I already have the Curt 4 pin on the way, and I’ve already run the 12V line to the battery.

IMG_6829.jpeg

IMG_6828.png
Sponsored