Sponsored

Tow Hitch Install

• Thread starter Deleted member 49144
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4
OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

I’m definitely going to refer back to this thread, I tried to read though Ford instructions, and they completely lost me.

I’m waiting the hitch to come back from powder coat, it’s going to take about a week. I believe my wiring harness just came in from the dealer today.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

BigRed13

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you don’t mind me asking, what’d they charge for that?

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

If you don’t mind me asking, what’d they charge for that?

Are you replying back to me? For powder coating ? There is a local guy here, he does a really good job, quoted me right around $200

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If anyone’s reading this with an order they’re waiting on… add the tow package it’s not constrained anymore. I was a fool for taking it off. But it’ll be one of my first “mods” 😂

Might be good to learn this thing.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
If anyone’s reading this with an order they’re waiting on… add the tow package it’s not constrained anymore. I was a fool for taking it off. But it’ll be one of my first “mods” 😂

Might be good to learn this thing.
I went with Curt, cost $200 and 2 hours of my time.

Sponsored

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I went with Curt, cost $200 and 2 hours of my time.
It does look like a good option. Why Fords is so complicated I don’t know. I’m one of those that likes the idea of the mounting brackets and cover not a dangling wire. Not sure why curt doesn’t just have that as an option. Or do they?

Rick66

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150(sold), S197 GT C/S (sold) 22 2DR BB EG SAS V6
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Anybody have a preference on a nice receiver . I did run into these, but they are steep. It would be nice to have height adjustment settings on it though

https://shockerhitch.com/product-category/receiver-hitches/ball-mounts/v/Ford/Bronco/2022/
I only plan to occasionally tow a small utility trailer to the compost site, and it's only a 6 mile round trip. I bought a Harbor Freight 6" drop for $25. If I was towing heavier or more often, then I would have spent more money for higher quality.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

I only plan to occasionally tow a small utility trailer to the compost site, and it's only a 6 mile round trip. I bought a Harbor Freight 6" drop for $25. If I was towing heavier or more often, then I would have spent more money for higher quality.

Those ones are still adjustable to different heights though correct ? I really like this one, but I just don’t know if I have it in me to spend that much on one.

https://shockerhitch.com/product/shocker-xr-adjustable-pintle-ball-combo-hitch-6-drop-to-6-rise/

Free2Roam

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used the Curt hitch and Curt harness, the plug into taillight connections made wiring neat and simple and the extra power wire terminals at the battery make hooking up the power wire simple. The most time consuming part was putting the nylon protective sleeve over the long power wire lol.
I see people not using Curt hitch due to no 4 pin slot but I wanted something better than just a slot the 4 pin sits in so I used this setup which is a metal 4 pin mount with spring loaded closing cover. It comes with a bracket that I was able to screw into the metal lip on the bottom of the bumper using the supplied self-tapping screws. I cut the 4 pin connector off the Curt harness and soldered on the weatherproof 4 pin connector that came with the 4 pin mount. It plugs into the back of the metal mount with a weatherproof connection and the spring loaded cover keeps things out of the front where the trailer plugs in.

Ford Bronco Tow Hitch Install 20230407_163806

Ford Bronco Tow Hitch Install 20230407_094711

Ford Bronco Tow Hitch Install 20230407_094659

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

I used the Curt hitch and Curt harness, the plug into taillight connections made wiring neat and simple and the extra power wire terminals at the battery make hooking up the power wire simple. The most time consuming part was putting the nylon protective sleeve over the long power wire lol.
I see people not using Curt wiring due to no 4 pin slot, I used this setup which is a metal 4 pin mount with spring loaded closing cover. I cut the 4 pin connector off the Curt harness and soldered on the weatherproof 4 pin connector that came with the 4 pin mount. It plugs into the back of the metal mount with a weatherproof connection and the spring loaded cover keeps things out of the front where the trailer plugs in.

20230407_163806.jpg

20230407_094711.jpg

20230407_094659.jpg

🤔 I wonder if can try to work around this somehow. I’ve got the ford hitch, as mentioned before, mainly due to being able to use my pass points. I have the 4 point mount obviously, but I really like that dust cover idea, that makes it look a lot cleaner and is functional. I wonder if there is some way I can make that work on the Ford harness. I have to keep the ford end, due to it being molded to match the mounting bracket. Do you think that cover would fit the ford 4 pin end? Or could I buy it separate to fit ?

OR maybe I can use the ply and play harness with the Ford 4 pin end and dust cover.

Rick66

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150(sold), S197 GT C/S (sold) 22 2DR BB EG SAS V6
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Free2Roam

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
🤔 I wonder if can try to work around this somehow. I’ve got the ford hitch, as mentioned before, mainly due to being able to use my pass points. I have the 4 point mount obviously, but I really like that dust cover idea, that makes it look a lot cleaner and is functional. I wonder if there is some way I can make that work on the Ford harness. I have to keep the ford end, due to it being molded to match the mounting bracket. Do you think that cover would fit the ford 4 pin end? Or could I buy it separate to fit ?

OR maybe I can use the ply and play harness with the Ford 4 pin end and dust cover.
You pretty much have to use the 4 pin connector end that comes with the cover. The cover has a 4 pin setup molded into it and the connector that comes with it plugs into the back of that using a weatherproof style connection, so the trailer side plugs into the pins molded in the cover and the vehicle side 4 pin connector that comes with the kit plugs into the back, if that makes sense.

OP
OP

Deleted member 49144

I see people not using Curt hitch due to no 4 pin slot but wanted something better than just a slot the 4 pin sits in so I used this setup which is a metal 4 pin mount with spring loaded closing cover. It comes with a bracket that I was able to screw into the metal lip on the bottom of the bumper using the supplied self-tapping screws. I cut the 4 pin connector off the Curt harness and soldered on the weatherproof 4 pin connector that came with the 4 pin mount. It plugs into the back of the metal mount with a weatherproof connection and the spring loaded cover keeps things out of the front where the trailer plugs in.

I believe I answered some of my question. Turns out they make universal dust caps, so that is simple. My main question is, can I attach the ford 4 in end to the plug and play harness, to make things easier. So all I would have to do is purchase the ford harness and the plug and play harness. Cut the ford 4 pin head off and attach it to the other, get the benefits of having the mount for the 4 pin, and the plug and play for the rest of the wiring.

$125 is a lot to spend just to cut the end of from the ford wiring harness though.

Free2Roam

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe I answered some of my question. Turns out they make universal dust caps, so that is simple. My main question is, can I attach the ford 4 in end to the plug and play harness, to make things easier. So all I would have to do is purchase the ford harness and the plug and play harness. Cut the ford 4 pin head off and attach it to the other, get the benefits of having the mount for the 4 pin, and the plug and play for the rest of the wiring.

$125 is a lot to spend just to cut the end of from the ford wiring harness though.
If you aren't using the cover I used, I don't see why you couldn't use the Ford 4 pin on the Curt plug n play harness, just use the appropriate sized solder sleeves and some shrink tubing. Afterall I cut the 4 pin off the Curt harness and installed a different 4 pin and it works fine.
Sponsored