Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really the question we all want answered is a YouTube installation video of an aftermarket hitch/plugs to see how easy it would be to DIY this thing and save $500.

If it doesn’t fit or you have to have a special tool or make cuts/drill then the $600 seems like it might not be as outrageous.

If it’s just bolt it on and a few wire nuts then let’s see it.
No aftermarket company has a Bronco right now to design something. Even if they had the engineering plans to build it in a computer, they don’t have a Bronco to install it in and film.

The closest we’re going to get to this for a while is the Ranger.
Sponsored

Shawn4

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

DOes anyone have a rough measurement for the hitch height? obviously will depend on model

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You do realize a truck a few decades ago towed 3500 on the bumper attached to the frame with bolts. It’s fine.
I don’t know - that thing looks pretty thin and iffy for a small trailer in off-road conditions. I guess the frame itself is thinner, but it is a bigger box section too.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just make sure that you can put in your key to unlock before you lock it up. Looking at it, I thought the same thing for the one I use, but then realized I wouldn't be able to put the key in the lock once installed.

Bigkansas

Badlands
First Name
AUSTIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody else concerned about a reciever mounted winch??

Sponsored

Fireman Dave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t know - that thing looks pretty thin and iffy for a small trailer in off-road conditions. I guess the frame itself is thinner, but it is a bigger box section too.
Off Road/On Road, Towing capacity doesn't change. I am confident that the construction of the hitch meets the requirements of the stated towing capacity. Even if you made the hitch twice as strong it wouldn't change your towing capacity. The Jeep guys always complain about towing capacity as well. These vehicles are primarily made to be nimble off road, go anywhere kind of machines. How many people are going to be dragging a 5000 pound trailer in those conditions?
If you want something that you can pull a heavy trailer with buy and F Series pick up. If you want to pull a small off road camper or haul some firewood or your quads around on your utility trailer this will work just fine.

Fireman Dave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody else concerned about a reciever mounted winch??
You should be. The weight of the vehicle exceeds the weight rating of the hitch. Wouldn't be a viable option for me.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Off Road/On Road, Towing capacity doesn't change. I am confident that the construction of the hitch meets the requirements of the stated towing capacity. Even if you made the hitch twice as strong it wouldn't change your towing capacity. The Jeep guys always complain about towing capacity as well. These vehicles are primarily made to be nimble off road, go anywhere kind of machines. How many people are going to be dragging a 5000 pound trailer in those conditions?
If you want something that you can pull a heavy trailer with buy and F Series pick up. If you want to pull a small off road camper or haul some firewood or your quads around on your utility trailer this will work just fine.
This point makes the logical fallacy that everyone who buys a Bronco wants optimum off roading ability. (Or we’re towing while we’re off roading)

The truth is that some people aren’t just willing, but would actually prefer trading off road ability, for increased tow capacity.

It’s no different than being able to spec a max tow package on a pickup or SUV that trades tow rating for ride comfort. (Stiffer springs, higher tire rating, etc).

My Bronco will be my daily, and we literally don’t have capacity for a second vehicle just to tow. If the 4-door Bronco could have been pushed to 5000lbs, it would make a *huge* difference for our lifestyle. It would have allowed us to tow an enclosed trailer with our race bikes and sleeping quarters... but at 3500 (like with our current Wrangler) we’re limited to an open trailer for the bikes and sleeping in a tent or the back of the Jeep.

But allllll that said: I get why Ford prioritized what they did. I’m disappointed a max tow isn’t offered, but I understand why it isn’t.

Last edited:

Bigkansas

Badlands
First Name
AUSTIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should be. The weight of the vehicle exceeds the weight rating of the hitch. Wouldn't be a viable option for me.
Right. Its what i Wanted to do so i didnt have it attached at all times. Definitely going a different route now!

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MANY of the lightweight campers (sub 2000 lb dry weight) these days have electric brakes. An effective trailer braking system, electric or surge) is even more important on a tow vehicle with limited capacity.
Plus 1 on this comment. Does the 2020 Ranger come with a factory plug above the brake pedal for adding a brake controller? IF so, does anyone know a good Curt or Tkonsha part number for the mating plug?

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Problem solved, add an aftermarket bumper with hitch. This was on my F150. Could pull a house down. Might have a small effect on departure angle though! Also, will not affect what the Bronco is rated for! However, this one won’t hold a bike rack but those looking for substance........

Kidding btw

9735A068-214E-4B10-B282-49AC76D32A76.jpeg

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

But allllll that said: I get why Ford prioritized what they did. I’m disappointed a max tow isn’t offered, but I understand why it isn’t.
Exactly said - would have been nice to have the capacity of the FJ or 4Runner on some models and reduced capacity on the Badlands and Sasquatch.

I would have a dilemma in that instance but would have figured out the optimal answer eventually.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

eTrailer will have one probably by the time most of us have our Bronco. The one for the Wrangler looks just like this minus the connector section. Mounts exactly the same for $60. Wiring will be there but may not be connected completely up front. That’s how my Escape was. eTrailer will offer a plug and play harness from the rear lights. Those boxes tend to fail but they are also around $50 so are easily replaced. The rating will not get bigger in any case.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hoping that the vehicles without tow package from the factory have the appropriate plug on the Bronco chassis so this can be added after delivery easier... Or the FE 4dr really can have the tow hitch from the factory.. It would also be interesting to know if the reverse lights/charge lead on the 7 pin are wired in. That is how I plan on triggering my reverse light additions.
I have seen on other Ford vehicles that the plug on the harness for the 7/4 pin connector is still there even with out the tow pkg. Cheaper for Ford to make one harness for every trim level then to make individual ones of different options ie. Fog Lamps, Tow Lights, Aux switches. I plan on getting an aftermarket hitch and splicing a 4 pin into the factory harness at that point. That set up looks just like the wrangler hitch which can be bought cheap aftermarket and very easy to install.

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
eTrailer will have one probably by the time most of us have our Bronco. The one for the Wrangler looks just like this minus the connector section. Mounts exactly the same for $60. Wiring will be there but may not be connected completely up front. That’s how my Escape was. eTrailer will offer a plug and play harness from the rear lights. Those boxes tend to fail but they are also around $50 so are easily replaced. The rating will not get bigger in any case.
Yeah, this Wrangler kit (with wiring) makes the Ford option seem pretty lame.

Ford Bronco Tow package hitch and plugs pics (2021 Bronco) 1607697435653
Sponsored