David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is the wire harness in the back of a Ranger. More wires going into the connector then going out. This Ranger has a 4-Pin only. If the Bronco is like this it will be easy to splice or buy an aftermarket connector like the hitch kits from quadratec. Assuming there will be one available

Ford Bronco Tow package hitch and plugs pics (2021 Bronco) 9DDF7A79-DEF2-4D78-BF60-664893F13852
Sponsored

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right. Its what i Wanted to do so i didnt have it attached at all times. Definitely going a different route now!
I don't have any expertise in this, but I won't let that stop me from contributing. :) The tow rating is based on a dynamic load. A trailer bouncing around could put some pretty high loads on the hitch for brief periods of time. In comparison, a winch will put a fairly static load on the hitch. Under static conditions, I would expect the hitch can take a much higher load than dynamic conditions. The question is, what is the static load capacity of the hitch? I would be surprised if it is 3-4 times the dynamic load.

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think Ford missed an opportunity for the market here since everyone on this thread is complaining about the weight the Bronco can tow... Ford should have segmented the Broncos into better "life style" uses.

1. Base Bronco - for the hard core off-road modern who doesn't want any factory fluff

2. The Rock Crawler - Badlands seems to fit this niche

3. The Mall Crawler - OBX seems to fit this

4. The Big Tow - New Bronco model that has stiffer springs, truck tires, only 4dr w/ hardtop w/ 10sp, Class IV+ hitch. Tow capacity for 5k-7.5k lbs similar to the FX4 packages on the trucks.

5. The Speed Demon - Wildtrak with sport ludicrous mode, lowered with no wheel well gap, and an RPM range that never touches below 2.5k, maybe add a V8 with pro charger the new Ford 7.3L Godzilla engine and racing slicks for all the people who keep saying "but muh V8!" or want to drag race their Bronco for some reason.

6. The ECO Friendly - 100% EV Bronco similar to the Mall Crawler except you don't directly burn dead dinosaur juices to get around town. Just whatever your local power plant uses.

7. The Heritage - Old school throw back that only comes in 2drs and has all the old school stuff, absolutely no new tech beyond what is required by federal law to sell the vehicle. Essentially a kit where you have to go out and get your own heritage parts. Think of it like adult Legos!

8. The Seaman - For all those who have yet to realize they want their Bronco to sail the seven seas! Tires become paddles and this will be powered by sails and the lightweight 2.3L I4 is an option.

9. The Aviator - Similar to the latest Mustang design this is for enthusiasts that want to fly! The Bronco is a giant brick so the odds of top off flying are low unless you drive directly off a cliff, but at least the off-road capabilities will get you there!

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Off Road/On Road, Towing capacity doesn't change. I am confident that the construction of the hitch meets the requirements of the stated towing capacity. Even if you made the hitch twice as strong it wouldn't change your towing capacity. The Jeep guys always complain about towing capacity as well. These vehicles are primarily made to be nimble off road, go anywhere kind of machines. How many people are going to be dragging a 5000 pound trailer in those conditions?
If you want something that you can pull a heavy trailer with buy and F Series pick up. If you want to pull a small off road camper or haul some firewood or your quads around on your utility trailer this will work just fine.
I think this post accidentally sums up EXACTLY what the problem is here - there are a whole lot of trailers that are well suited for people who like a go-anywhere machine that weigh a little over 3500lbs but well less than 5000lbs. 3500lbs is not a realistic number for what we're talking about, it just happens to be the max for the Class II hitch that Ford put on this and are comfortable restricting the towing to.

If Class II hitches were good for even 4000lbs then:
a) we quite possibly wouldn't even be having these conversations, and
b) the uninformed gEt a tRuCk crowd would be convinced that 4000lbs is a reasonable number for a Bronco

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

bet the ranger tremor is still 7500 just saying.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The hell truck are you thinking about? The little Rangers could tow more than that. Hell, trucks from the 60's could tow more than that.

The rating restriction on the new Bronco is based on suspension and wheel base and how the two interact under load. It's not limited by how the hitch is attached

I definitely agree that 3500lbs is pathetic, no argument there though. I have no qualms that this hitch is fine, just with your statement about trucks.

*calmly steps off soapbox and accepts his lashings*
*hops on*

Yes and no - remember that the Class II hitch that they offer is restricted to 3500lbs, so the 3500lb tow rating they give may in some cases be limited by the hitch.

I concur that suspension and wheelbase are the key governing factors here, which is why it is highly questionable that a 2 Door Wildtrak and a 4 Door Black Diamond without sasquatch (for example) have the same towing capacity. I cannot for a second belive that the shorter wheelbase and longer-travel suspension on my example 2 Door Wildtrak do not seriously limit what could be done vs a 4 Door with base suspension.

Blue Bronco

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boots
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It looks like a clean and well integrated design. Also looks plenty strong enough for a utility trailer I'd like to haul. Was thinking of going aftermarket for a hitch & harness, but I may just go ahead and add this to my build after all, then I'll be ready to tow right away. Thanks to the OP for sharing the photos!

Last edited:

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No aftermarket company has a Bronco right now to design something. Even if they had the engineering plans to build it in a computer, they don’t have a Bronco to install it in and film.

The closest we’re going to get to this for a while is the Ranger.
Right yeah. Another perk of a late reservation haha

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The hell truck are you thinking about? The little Rangers could tow more than that. Hell, trucks from the 60's could tow more than that.

The rating restriction on the new Bronco is based on suspension and wheel base and how the two interact under load. It's not limited by how the hitch is attached

I definitely agree that 3500lbs is pathetic, no argument there though. I have no qualms that this hitch is fine, just with your statement about trucks.

*calmly steps off soapbox and accepts his lashings*
Your argument requires the assumption that tow ratings, requirements and safety regulations were identical in both the 1960's and today.

As somebody who actually owns and drives cars from the 50's and 60's, I would like to tell you that you have grossly over-estimated the safety environment of the 60's. For example: My 1961 Thunderbird has a movable steering column to better allow pregnant women to get behind the wheel comfortably. Where they can then be impaled upon a solid steering column in the event of an accident as seatbelts weren't mandatory in certain states until 1964 and nationally until after 1966.

on September 9, 1966, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act and the Highway Safety Act into law. These laws created the National Highway Safety Bureau, the precursor to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Towing rating in the 60's were: "Whatever the F you could tow with your vehicle before it broke". And that's a technical classification by the NHTSA.

1970's: Same

1980's: Same

1990's: Mostly the same

2000's: America becomes woke behind the veil of safety. GM changes to killing people through faulty ignitions instead of lost loads.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

9. The Aviator - Similar to the latest Mustang design this is for enthusiasts that want to fly! The Bronco is a giant brick so the odds of top off flying are low unless you drive directly off a cliff, but at least the off-road capabilities will get you there!
I don't see why a Bronco couldn't fly. This thing is shaped like a brick and got aloft with an engine rated at 150-160hp. Get a tune on the 2.7 and wait for the aftermarket to develop bolt on wings and tail. Can someone photoshop a conceptual image? (I'd do it, but my photoshop skills are pretty low. My Bronco will likely be delivered before I would get that done.)

Ford Bronco Tow package hitch and plugs pics (2021 Bronco) 1607707925150

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man, then I must be doing it wrong... ?
Mine needs a 4 pin, 2 e-bikes with cover tend to block the lights so I have a light bar on the rack that needs to be plugged in. I doubt I will ever tow anything larger than the bike rack or cargo carrier as the BD will hang off my RV most of the time.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MANY of the lightweight campers (sub 2000 lb dry weight) these days have electric brakes. An effective trailer braking system, electric or surge) is even more important on a tow vehicle with limited capacity.
Not to mention that most states require a supplemental braking system on any trailer over 1500 lbs.
Sponsored