Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Axe and ye shall receive.

ETA: I'm all about good install illustrations that don't have a ton of explanation for each step but could we at least find a middle ground where it isn't open to individual interpretation?
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Just a passing thought..... 2 Doors....
2 Doors with a tow package received the same rear shock and coil as the 4 door. (same part numbers)
2 Doors with out the package received a different part number for the rear shock and spring, I have been assuming that it was a touch softer spring.

So... now for 2024 do all 2 doors get the same spring/ shock package as the 4 door or are they all getting a separate spring/ shock package regardless of tow package order?

Tooold

Base
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 FB, transit awd duel sider, flex 3.5L, BaseManS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Question :
What exactly does the "Tow Module" do or provide over an after market option?

On my Transit van, I have a factory "trailer/tow" mode. However It did not come with a factory hitch. I had to install an after market hitch and wiring. When I use the "trailer/tow" mode on the Transit van, it defiantly changes the auto trans shift points (and possibly throttle responce).

So I have a 2-door basemansquatch. What exactly would I be missing and or gaining with the ford performance tow package vs an aftermarket 7-pin version? Is the module providing much if you have a manual transmission?

I fear it's just one more module to cause dash lights and confuse other modules into freaking out if/when something fails with it. I fear more not understanding what the Ford engineers doing with this module and putting my family and others on the road in danger.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is this a cost cutting measure, or a factory constraint?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a passing thought..... 2 Doors....
2 Doors with a tow package received the same rear shock and coil as the 4 door. (same part numbers)
2 Doors with out the package received a different part number for the rear shock and spring, I have been assuming that it was a touch softer spring.

So... now for 2024 do all 2 doors get the same spring/ shock package as the 4 door or are they all getting a separate spring/ shock package regardless of tow package order?
Someone else said the same thing in another thread about a week ago, which was the first time I heard of the suspension being different with the tow package.

Apparently there is a "Definitive Suspension Guide" post that states the springs were different on vehicles that have the Tow package. Somehow I was completely unaware this post existed until very recently. But as far as I can tell the information in that thread made a few assumptions and is inaccurate.

I found several examples to suggest that the springs you get have nothing to do with the tow package, and instead likely has to do with the vehicle's axle weights. There is a chance I am wrong, and Ford's Ecat database is incorrect (it's been inaccurate before). But from what I can see the springs you get have nothing to do with the tow package.
Question :
What exactly does the "Tow Module" do or provide over an after market option?

On my Transit van, I have a factory "trailer/tow" mode. However It did not come with a factory hitch. I had to install an after market hitch and wiring. When I use the "trailer/tow" mode on the Transit van, it defiantly changes the auto trans shift points (and possibly throttle responce).

So I have a 2-door basemansquatch. What exactly would I be missing and or gaining with the ford performance tow package vs an aftermarket 7-pin version? Is the module providing much if you have a manual transmission?

I fear it's just one more module to cause dash lights and confuse other modules into freaking out if/when something fails with it. I fear more not understanding what the Ford engineers doing with this module and putting my family and others on the road in danger.
On the Bronco it simply integrates with the vehicle safety features and provides an easy way to add a trailer brake controller and a 7-pin wiring harness.

The most notable safety feature is trailer sway control, but also works with the blindspot system and rear parking sensors. Without the trailer tow module the Bronco will yell at you stating something along the lines of "Sensors Blocked", "Please Clean Sensors", etc. before eventually giving up and disabling the sensors altogether.
Is this a cost cutting measure, or a factory constraint?
Ford didn't say, but I would assume it's a production simplification measure (aka: cost cutting).

There is nothing particularly special about the tow package on the Bronco, it doesn't seem to change suspension, no axle changes, no cooling changes, etc. so there is really no reason why it can't be installed by a dealer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My dealer quoted me $1400 to install the hitch and wiring for parts/labor.

He said it was more because it wasnā€™t ordered as DIO.
I ordered the lumen 4/7-pin kit when Ford Accessories had it for 25% off. It was $210 parts + $120 labor. Highly recommend ordering it from there with install included and having it sent to your dealer. Install came out great.

VP2DZ-15A416-A is the lumen 4/7-pin kit that's used to retrofit 2021-2023 model year Broncos.

This DIO part is VP2DZ-15A416-B.
I wonder, is the only difference the wires to splice for the 21-23 years?

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Axe and ye shall receive.

ETA: I'm all about good install illustrations that don't have a ton of explanation for each step but could we at least find a middle ground where it isn't open to individual interpretation?
Thanks Flip! Yep, looks like the factory has already installed the main tow harness. That will cut down on labor. A ton easier than the kit for my 21 which had the re pinning instructions reversed. Luckily I caught the mistake before installing the pins in the plug. I tried contacting Lumen to tell them and got nothing in response.

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks Flip! Yep, looks like the factory has already installed the main tow harness. That will cut down on labor. A ton easier than the kit for my 21 which had the re pinning instructions reversed. Luckily I caught the mistake before installing the pins in the plug. I tried contacting Lumen to tell them and got nothing in response.
I said from the beginning, it's insane not to have a 4X4 harness installed on everything from the plant even if people don't take the option. It leaves the door open for later accessory sales and reduced the number of part numbers Ford uses for 2 and 4 door models. Hell, damn near every superduty and F150 has the wiring there even if it's not equipped with the full tow package. Install the in dash controller, program, add hitch and plug in the new 4/7 pin plug and you're GTG. Insert Allan Mullaly face palm below.

Tooold

Base
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The most notable safety feature is trailer sway control, but also works with the blindspot system and rear parking sensors. Without the trailer tow module the Bronco will yell at you stating something along the lines of "Sensors Blocked", "Please Clean Sensors", etc. before eventually giving up and disabling the sensors altogether.
Thank you for shedding some light for me.

Please help me understand something. I was under the impression that "sway control" was already build into every Bronco (tow package or not). Does the "tow modual" add to that in some way?

With my base model having no front, no rear or (i think) no blind spot sensors, I wonder how that effects things?

Thanks again for the help.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does this mean Dealers can/will charge for the install?

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please help me understand something. I was under the impression that "sway control" was already build into every Bronco (tow package or not). Does the "tow modual" add to that in some way?

With my base model having no front, no rear or (i think) no blind spot sensors, I wonder how that effects things?

I don't know if that's the case. I don't think so?? But I could be very wrong.

On your Sync screen if you go into Features, there should be a Towing section. Within that Towing section you should see a toggle to turn on/off Trailer Sway Control. If it isn't there, then it's likely disabled.

Does this mean Dealers can/will charge for the install?
If you ordered if from the factory and its listed on your window sticker, then the install cost is included with the vehicle.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you ordered if from the factory and its listed on your window sticker, then the install cost is included with the vehicle.
Sounds to me, that going forward, dealers are going to charge a fortune for the hitch if you buy off the lot and not a factory order.

Tooold

Base
First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't know if that's the case. I don't think so?? But I could be very wrong.

On your Sync screen if you go into Features, there should be a Towing section. Within that Towing section you should see a toggle to turn on/off Trailer Sway Control. If it isn't there, then it's likely disabled.

I don't know for sure either but here is a quote from the Ford website.

" SAFETY/CONTROL SYSTEMS ABS/stability control AdvanceTracĀ® with Roll Stability ControlĀ® ,electronic stability control standard on all models, trailer sway control, electric power-assisted steering, and ABS Airbags First-row driver and passenger dual-stage front and seat side airbags All rows: Safety Canopy side-curtain airbags with rollover sensors for all rows "

This is why I'm confused as to what the Tow Module offers over aftermarket options. It makes sense what you said about the factory "Tow Module" ignoring rear sensors and not beeping at you incessantly. My use case may be different than most, due to not having all the sensors on the base model. I just can't find anything official that helps me understand what the "Tow Module's" function is. If anyone has any specs from Ford please share.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know for sure either but here is a quote from the Ford website.

" SAFETY/CONTROL SYSTEMS ABS/stability control AdvanceTracĀ® with Roll Stability ControlĀ® ,electronic stability control standard on all models, trailer sway control, electric power-assisted steering, and ABS Airbags First-row driver and passenger dual-stage front and seat side airbags All rows: Safety Canopy side-curtain airbags with rollover sensors for all rows "

This is why I'm confused as to what the Tow Module offers over aftermarket options. It makes sense what you said about the factory "Tow Module" ignoring rear sensors and not beeping at you incessantly. My use case may be different than most, due to not having all the sensors on the base model. I just can't find anything official that helps me understand what the "Tow Module's" function is. If anyone has any specs from Ford please share.
Alright I actually dug into the documentation on the service manual.

The Trailer Tow module on the Bronco has four functions:

- Handles all trailer lighting.
- Handles trailer battery charging.
- Handles any interaction with a trailer brake controller.
- Detects when a trailer is connected and informs the rest of the Bronco.

It does NOT handle trailer sway control. Trailer sway control is handled by the ABS moduleā€”same module responsible for the GOAT modes, traction control, etc. That module is obviously on all Broncos, which is why Ford says trailer sway control is a standard feature.

When you install the Trailer module and complete the FDRS configuration steps, the user gains the ability to turn on/off trailer sway control in the Sync screen as well as perform a few other functions such as trailer light check procedures.

Without the Trailer module, it seems as though Trailer sway control is just permanently on. It doesn't say why, but presumably the reason why is because the Bronco can't tell if a trailer is actually connected or not without the Trailer module. So I guess it simply defaults to "On", and the ABS module handles it like any other stability control event.
Sponsored

Last edited: