Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So seeing this now that you All point it out, there should be a easy cheaper aftermarket trailer hitch that’s just mounts up? So probably save a little money that way down the road?
Sponsored

Stimpy

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So seeing this now that you All point it out, there should be a easy cheaper aftermarket trailer hitch that’s just mounts up? So probably save a little money that way down the road?
I'm going to give the factory receiver a shot because I want the hitch and wiring right away, but I'll probably upgrade to an after market bumper with a Class III receiver down the road. I've seen some for Jeep that mount to the frame and cross member that should be much stronger than this one.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So using Ranger as a proxy, you can get an OEM harness for $60, and receiver for 280-400. Aftermarket receivers are more like 120. And all of those are the type that bolt to the longitudinal frames on either side of the truck and are Class III.

A four bolt receiver like the one shown costs a lot less. So we are really being overcharged for the tow package for what you get.

cmb

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes you can. If I remember correctly a similar aftermarket receiver cost me about $50 for my JK, didn't add the wiring harness as I was only using it for a bike rack at the time.

Ended up doing the factory on my JL, but that came with the aux switches, upgraded alternator and upgraded battery.

Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I swapped a few emails with Steve Nance and Richard Gomrick of Stealth Hitch to see if they were considering the Bronco and to hopefully put it on their radar. They were super fast to respond and I uploaded them on the concerns of the overall frame drop of the factory hitch and the low capacity. I also sent over Fathorse's image from this thread.

They asked if I was in the Atlanta area which is probably where they do R&D. If you are an early Bronco ticket holder and wouldn't mind helping to develop the first Stealth Hitch maybe reach out to them.

I've already asked them to add in a skid shoe option for when the hitch is empty it can protect the receiver. Their design is what Ford should have considered as to not lose so much departure angle with the hitch.

I encouraged the Stealth Hitch guys to get on here to help advance their development. If you see them on here, help them crack the aftermarket tow hitch for the Bronco....

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Brake controllers are late availability.
Is that true?? I really want an integrated factory brake controller.

At this rate, I am not gonna get one until MY23 with all the late availability...

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is that true?? I really want an integrated factory brake controller.

At this rate, I am not gonna get one until MY23 with all the late availability...
It's been a month since I posted that. I don't remember if I saw it on an Mike LeVine tweet or if I was joking.

Probably the latter of the two. I still wonder why Ford even bothered with a 7-pin plug if they weren't going to at least entertain the possibility of installing a brake controller. But looking at the dash I'd have no idea where they'd put it.
Sponsored

Last edited: