First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi everyone.. I picked up my Bronco 2.7L 4 door Base on June 2022. I have 10,800 miles on it.

Let me preface this, I'm no car expert.

About 2 months ago I started noticing my Bronco lurching and clunking when going from park to reverse when the engine was cold. Every single day when I start the truck for the first time in the morning and put it in reverse, it does this lurch/jump and a clunk noise. The closest thing I can compare it to is when you're parked on a hill and you shift gears -- you get that clunk and a lurch.

Other things I've noticed, maybe because of my heightened awareness, when I'm breaking from going 35-40 miles an hour, as the transmission shifts down sometimes it clunks or shifts weirdly, not as intensely as when I start it in the morning and put it in reverse. This is fairly random and rare, but it does happen.

I've been in the process of moving ~80 miles across the state, but I did take the truck into the dealer. Of course it worked seamlessly when I had the technician with me. He said they would need the truck for 2-3 days to check it out. Unfortunately because I was moving, I couldn't commit the Bronco for that long. I'm now working on getting it into a dealership near my new home.

I'm curious if something I could have done could have caused this? I haven't done any intense off roading, mainly beginner trails. I haven't towed anything either..
Does anyone have any idea what causes this to happen?
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably not the cause but did you check the fluid level and fluid condition?

OP
OP
Theblobishere92

Theblobishere92

Base
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Probably not the cause but did you check the fluid level and fluid condition?
Yes I did, the dealership did an oil change for me and checked transmission fluids and everything checked out

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi everyone.. I picked up my Bronco 2.7L 4 door Base on June 2022. I have 10,800 miles on it.

About 2 months ago I started noticing my Bronco lurching and clunking when going from park to reverse when the engine was cold. Every single day when I start the truck for the first time in the morning and put it in reverse, it does this lurch/jump and a clunk noise. The closest thing I can compare it to is when you're parked on a hill and you shift gears -- you get that clunk and a lurch.

Other things I've noticed, maybe because of my heightened awareness, when I'm breaking from going 35-40 miles an hour, as the transmission shifts down sometimes it clunks or shifts weirdly, not as intensely as when I start it in the morning and put it in reverse. This is fairly random and rare, but it does happen.

I've been in the process of moving ~80 miles across the state, but I did take the truck into the dealer. Of course it worked seamlessly when I had the technician with me. He said they would need the truck for 2-3 days to check it out. Unfortunately because I was moving, I couldn't commit the Bronco for that long. I'm now working on getting it into a dealership near my new home.

I'm curious if something I could have done could have caused this? I haven't done any intense off roading, mainly beginner trails. I haven't towed anything either..
Hi Ian. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Accelerated main control break in followed by clearing the adaptive transmission learning. I always have very good luck with this curing most intermittent weird shifts with 10 speeds.
Ask the dealership about SSM 51531

Sponsored

Chriswebber

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No car
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Please keep us updated. I have noticed that exact same issue with my Bronco. Very curious about what @Ford has to tell you.

OP
OP
Theblobishere92

Theblobishere92

Base
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Accelerated main control break in followed by clearing the adaptive transmission learning. I always have very good luck with this curing most intermittent weird shifts with 10 speeds.
Ask the dealership about SSM 51531
I’m not sure what any of this means, but I will show the dealership your message! Hopefully this is covered under the warranty.

OP
OP
Theblobishere92

Theblobishere92

Base
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Please keep us updated. I have noticed that exact same issue with my Bronco. Very curious about what @Ford has to tell you.
Hey Chris, will do. I reached out to Ford via DM about 2 hours ago with my VIN and dealership.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m not sure what any of this means, but I will show the dealership your message! Hopefully this is covered under the warranty.
No reason it shouldn’t be covered under warranty.
Here you go, this should help.

Ford Bronco Transmission issues IMG_1087

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hello, Chris! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this transmission concern. Thanks!

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
Theblobishere92

Theblobishere92

Base
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Generally, it seems to be shifting much smoother. I think I had gotten used to hearing it shift throughout normal operation., now it's smooth as butter. I haven't had any down shift issues while driving at higher speeds then coming to a stop.

I won't be able to tell if there are issues going from park to reverse until the engine is cold tomorrow morning.
Sponsored