First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/atta...se-exterior-fabric-on-rear-window-pdf.379359/

Here is a link to a previous post with the TSB attached. Basically all the tabs have snapped off on the rear window, and I've taken that window out only a handful of times since owning the car. I suspect it would be covered by warranty.

The reason Im posting is because I phoned my local Ford Dealership and although they can't say if its covered until the car goes in, the rep told me that my VIN does not show this as being a recall and therefore because its not a recall associated to my exact vehicle it may not be covered. (This is in Canada)

Does this seem right? There's a TSB outlining an issue, I have the exact issue, and yet they're lining me up for bad news right away, as if it doesn't seem likely. Like its not a recall associated to my VIN therefore they can deem it as my fault rather than a manufacturer issue.

Has anybody here had the same issue, and were you able to get it covered? Thanks!
Sponsored

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not Bronco specific:
Every Ford TSB I have been aware of AND had the problem, it was fixed.
I was aware of one TSB that I did not have any symptoms of and when I asked they checked and denied the new part.

WheresMyBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's normal procedure, they won't be able to tell you if it's under warranty or not until you bring it in and they verify you didn't do anything out of the usual to break it. It'll most likely be covered though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
OP

broncouver

Big Bend
First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thats some reassuring answers. Thanks folk! First time owning a car in Canada (From the UK) and first time taking a car in to service. Not sure of the procedures entirely. I figured they wouldn't be able to tell me about warranty until its already been looked at, but the skepticism from the rep on the phone made me wonder.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/atta...se-exterior-fabric-on-rear-window-pdf.379359/

Here is a link to a previous post with the TSB attached. Basically all the tabs have snapped off on the rear window, and I've taken that window out only a handful of times since owning the car. I suspect it would be covered by warranty.

The reason Im posting is because I phoned my local Ford Dealership and although they can't say if its covered until the car goes in, the rep told me that my VIN does not show this as being a recall and therefore because its not a recall associated to my exact vehicle it may not be covered. (This is in Canada)

Does this seem right? There's a TSB outlining an issue, I have the exact issue, and yet they're lining me up for bad news right away, as if it doesn't seem likely. Like its not a recall associated to my VIN therefore they can deem it as my fault rather than a manufacturer issue.

Has anybody here had the same issue, and were you able to get it covered? Thanks!
You have removed your window "a handfull of times", what for?

Sponsored
OP
OP

broncouver

Big Bend
First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@Hemisfear I assume you don't own the soft top then. You can't put the top all the way down without removing the back window. It clips to the side windows on either side, and is just a plastic/material piece that you slide out. The tabs that have snapped actually have no contact with the connections on the side, the tabs are manufacturer fitted to hold the fabric to the plastic. I think when you remove the window, if the plastic piece bends a little during removal, the stress on the tabs is larger than they can stand. They're quite poorly made.

EDIT: Just saw your signature, you have MIC. Yea so side windows and rear window slide out to put the roof back :)

Last edited:

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's a very easy fix. Just need a drill and a rivet gun...I had only 1 tab broken but I still put 4 rivets on each side...strong as hell now.
I don't know if I would trust the dealership doing it

OP
OP

broncouver

Big Bend
First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It's a very easy fix. Just need a drill and a rivet gun...I had only 1 tab broken but I still put 4 rivets on each side...strong as hell now.
I don't know if I would trust the dealership doing it
If its that easy then id say they'd be fine to do it, but if they do a poor job i can always have a go myself.

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If its that easy then id say they'd be fine to do it, but if they do a poor job i can always have a go myself.
The problem is if they do it wrong, you will need to replace the rear window.
I printed off the 7 page tsb which is like ikea instructions and figured out the rest

OP
OP

broncouver

Big Bend
First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@Calm horse Im not sure I understand the logic here. They're Ford mechanics, If they do it wrong isn't it gonna be pretty obvious on inspection after they're done that they screwed up so badly that I need to buy a whole new window? That sounds like it'd be entirely on them to owe me a new window and I can't imagine that'd stand well for them in a small claims court if it really came to it

I also don't believe I can do a better job than the people who are paid to do this work day in and day out. I think its worth letting the "professionals" do it. Same reason I don't cut my own hair.

Sponsored

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Calm horse Im not sure I understand the logic here. They're Ford mechanics, If they do it wrong isn't it gonna be pretty obvious on inspection after they're done that they screwed up so badly that I need to buy a whole new window? That sounds like it'd be entirely on them to owe me a new window and I can't imagine that'd stand well for them in a small claims court if it really came to it

I also don't believe I can do a better job than the people who are paid to do this work day in and day out. I think its worth letting the "professionals" do it. Same reason I don't cut my own hair.
I totally understand your point...however the problem is these so called dealer technicians have no experience in this problem whatsoever...I bet you most don't even have a rivet gun on hand....not trying to be a downer here...just trying to save you some wasted time(making an appt....dropping it off...have it sit at there lot for God knows how long) ....these guys have not been trained on how to fix the tabs...they are just like you and me....they have to read or download the tsb and figure it out while most likely putting their least skilled/lowest paid guy to do the job. I didn't have a rivet gun before this..(hell I don't even know if I'm spelling the word rivet correctly)..I went to harbor freight and bought cheap one with assortment of rivet sizes..took about 45 minutes total.
I understand some folks do not have time ...some don't think they have the skills...some just think " hey its under warranty and I shouldn't have to".
I just have trust issues with others touching my stuff especially if I think I can do it better while saving time as well

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

or you can invite me out to Vancouver to help out!.. love it out there.. I wish whistler was in my backyard

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Hemisfear I assume you don't own the soft top then. You can't put the top all the way down without removing the back window. It clips to the side windows on either side, and is just a plastic/material piece that you slide out. The tabs that have snapped actually have no contact with the connections on the side, the tabs are manufacturer fitted to hold the fabric to the plastic. I think when you remove the window, if the plastic piece bends a little during removal, the stress on the tabs is larger than they can stand. They're quite poorly made.

EDIT: Just saw your signature, you have MIC. Yea so side windows and rear window slide out to put the roof back :)
BUT you do NOT remove the rear corners from the rear window. That's meant to be one entire unit. Watch the demos on removal. Merely pop the bottom corners out, slide out the top corner, ditto for other side, unclip and slide out the whole thing. NEVER EVER EVER NO NOT EVER separate the corners from the window.

OP
OP

broncouver

Big Bend
First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I totally understand your point...however the problem is these so called dealer technicians have no experience in this problem whatsoever...I bet you most don't even have a rivet gun on hand....not trying to be a downer here...just trying to save you some wasted time(making an appt....dropping it off...have it sit at there lot for God knows how long) ....these guys have not been trained on how to fix the tabs...they are just like you and me....they have to read or download the tsb and figure it out while most likely putting their least skilled/lowest paid guy to do the job. I didn't have a rivet gun before this..(hell I don't even know if I'm spelling the word rivet correctly)..I went to harbor freight and bought cheap one with assortment of rivet sizes..took about 45 minutes total.
I understand some folks do not have time ...some don't think they have the skills...some just think " hey its under warranty and I shouldn't have to".
I just have trust issues with others touching my stuff especially if I think I can do it better while saving time as well
Yep OK that makes a lot of sense. I would have thought with a TSB that they would have performed this on other Bronco's before, but you are likely right in that they may not ever have to work things like this. I think my own opinion on this is still going to be to let them take it on, but I will have the TSB on hand when it comes out of the shop and will have a close look at what they've done before taking it away. I don't mind if my car is unavailable for a while. Vancouver is easy to get around on public transport, and the shop will give me a ride to the nearest transit station too.

OP
OP

broncouver

Big Bend
First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
or you can invite me out to Vancouver to help out!.. love it out there.. I wish whistler was in my backyard
Dude, Whistler is a god send, except for this year. Absolute shit-show 😂
Sponsored