First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@buzpro - I understood the basic concept of a catch can. But, I remember reading something different between the 2.3 and the 2.7 that potentially alleviates the need in the 2.7. Some newer technology. I didn’t reach too much into it because I have a 2.3. I’ll see if I can dig it up.
Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@buzpro - I understood the basic concept of a catch can. But, I remember reading something different between the 2.3 and the 2.7 that potentially alleviates the need in the 2.7. Some newer technology. I didn’t reach too much into it because I have a 2.3. I’ll see if I can dig it up.
you're talking about the 2.7 having a mixture of Direct Fuel Injectors and Port Fuel Injectors .... yes it helps but it does not alleviate blow by .... remember that all engines have blow by no matter if they are naturally aspirated or Turbos or Supercharged.... BUT, the high pressure high temperature engines like turbos have higher blow by and as time goes on and wear and tear sets in you will see it more

Last edited:
OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
you're talking about the 2.7 having a mixture of Direct Fuel Injectors and Port Fuel Injectors .... yes it helps but it does not alleviate blow back .... remember that all engines have blow back no matter if they are naturally aspirated or Turbos or Supercharged.... BUT, the high pressure high temperature engines like turbos have higher blow back and as time goes on and wear and tear sets in you will see it more
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I would have to agree. That is why I am installing one myself. Which brand did you go with? Did you have to take the wheel and splash shield off?

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I would have to agree. That is why I am installing one myself. Which brand did you go with? Did you have to take the wheel and splash shield off?
I didn't have to take anything off ... I am working with a top manufacturer and will have a report on various aspects of the particular catch can soon (as in placement, routing the hoses, access etc etc) .... we are working on making the easiest plug n play installation of the catch can for both 2.3 and 2.7 Broncos.

Making it simple is actually hard. But once the solution is found it will look like there is nothing to it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I didn't have to take anything off ... I am working with a top manufacturer and will have a report on various aspects of the particular catch can soon (as in placement, routing the hoses, access etc etc) .... we are working on making the easiest plug n play installation of the catch can for both 2.3 and 2.7 Broncos.

Making it simple is actually hard. But once the solution is found it will look like there is nothing to it.
Ah, maybe I was mistaken. I thought the PCV is tucked under near the oil filter. Seemed pretty difficult to access from the top. Maybe from underneath? I need to get in there to install block heater - so, I was planning on doing both at once.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ah, maybe I was mistaken. I thought the PCV is tucked under near the oil filter. Seemed pretty difficult to access from the top. Maybe from underneath? I need to get in there to install block heater - so, I was planning on doing both at once.
PCV should be on top

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
PCV should be on top
That’s what I would have assumed as well. I need to take a look at the UPR instructions and look under the hood again.

I probably should have waited for Mishimoto…

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco UPDATED AGAIN: Blackstone Laboratories Oil Report - 2.3L Engine @ 2500, 5000, 10,000 and 15,000 miles (now using Motul 5w30) 1DED2B78-F7FD-4756-92CB-E1F03C5C02E1

@buzpro - the one on the 2.3L is NOT on top like the 2.7 in this video.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco UPDATED AGAIN: Blackstone Laboratories Oil Report - 2.3L Engine @ 2500, 5000, 10,000 and 15,000 miles (now using Motul 5w30) 1DED2B78-F7FD-4756-92CB-E1F03C5C02E1

@buzpro - the one on the 2.3L is NOT on top like the 2.7 in this video.

UPR and Mishimoto have their cans made in China for $6 to $8 and sell 'em to you for $180 to $280

As a matter of principal I will not take part in feeding a monster anymore and I am all for decoupling from China .... i refuse to buy Chinese made crap

Sponsored
OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i refuse to buy Chinese made crap
I’m keeping my eyes peeled for when you can discuss what you’re working on. I’ll report back when I locate the damn PCV. Haha.

You might need to remove a few components of your Bronco to make it China-less 😆

Last edited:

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m keeping my eyes peeled for when you can discuss what you’re working on. I’ll report back when I locate the damn PCV. Haha.

You might need to remove a few components of your Bronco to make it China-less 😆
I know ... sadly .... can't believe we fed that monster and are still doing it .... I've been guilty of it too

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I updated my original post to include all the updates. I’ve since switched to Motul 5w30 since 10k.

So the last report is from 5k using Motul 5w30 + the FL-400S filter (Panda kit) for the first time for the 10k-15k interval. I didn’t realize it was a different filter until I did the last oil change using the kit from IAG that comes with the stock filter. So, I’ll happily submit another report at 20k to compare.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've only sent one sample to Blackstone and won't bother again. We had reason to believe a service technician had added ATF to the engine my son's Tacoma in which he runs Mobil One. The report came back from Blackstone inconclusive since the "viscosity profile' of Mobil One and ATF are similar. If they can't tell ATF from motor oil I'd say they are pretty worthless.

OP
OP
redone17

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Curious if I can start doing 7500 intervals running Motul - I ran another oil test that had some significant off-roading and good mix of driving conditions within the 6120 miles. This is back to stock filter - because I bulk purchased a few kits. But, I’ll likely switch back to the larger one next time.

Ford Bronco UPDATED AGAIN: Blackstone Laboratories Oil Report - 2.3L Engine @ 2500, 5000, 10,000 and 15,000 miles (now using Motul 5w30) IMG_4924
Sponsored