Sponsored

Just hit 2500 miles. When is it time for my first oil/fluid change and tire rotation?

LudwigVon

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Heritage
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I’ve searched 6g, the Bronco Discord, as well as a few Reddit threads and have seen such a wide variety of answers I figured I would ask directly.

My 2023 2.3l Heritage just crossed over 2500 miles. All easy in town driving over the past three months. No off-roading, towing, or high engine revs for fun at this point. I know the oil in these cars can go for longer than 2500 miles and if I go by m y FordConnect App I’m at 70% oil life. But seeing so many people say they did ALL their fluids at 500 or a 1000 I am wondering if I am already behind the boat.

Please forgive some of the simple questions.

So…
Oil change. When?
Should I ask they to change all my fluids. Which I am guessing is brake and coolant? Are there more?
Tire rotation. I have seen someone post a pattern for a five wheel rotation to keep the spare in the mix. Is that a usual thing? Would a tire place or the dealership know to do that, or will I have to tell them how I want it done. Then how do you know they followed what you asked whiteout watching?

Where are people getting their service done? Do I go through a dealership just so everything is linked through my Ford account or does that not really matter?

On threads I have seen people talk about a window fix done through programming at the dealership. The update to lower the windows on unlock to help prevent it from flopping on the door when opened? What do I ask for them to do? Are they any other fixes I should know to ask for?

Picture added for no reason at all. I just like looking at her.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

IMG_6654.jpeg
Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The manual and the car will say 7500-10000 intervals. Anyone who cares about their engine will do 5k or less. A lot of us like to do the first somewhere around 1500-3000. I have an f150 raptor r in the shop right now doing 1st at 1500. Tire rotation should be every 5k and do all 5 tires. the manual in the dash will show you the procedure.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Entirely up to you and which fluids you end up using. The Ford recommended intervals is just that.

With brand new things you have a break-in, where tiny to microscopic metal particles occur when metal parts wear into their position plus you have assembly things like RTV and gasket material as well. If these are filtered out, then great, but some are to small to be caught by the filter and you have those things that do not have a filter, like differentials and transfer case.

I changed my oil at 1,000 2,500 5,000 and 10,000, just my personal choice. If you are a gear head and DIY, oils are cheap. If you are a normie and pay labor plus materials then cost adds up quick. Are you worred about long term use? Or, short term cost of ownership?

Dontc4re

Badlands
First Name
Edmond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 area 51Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your bronco will tell you when it’s time…
Ford Bronco Just hit 2500 miles. When is it time for my first oil/fluid change and tire rotation? IMG_1354
Ford Bronco Just hit 2500 miles. When is it time for my first oil/fluid change and tire rotation? IMG_4926
Also check out the app. My oil is overdue and she tells me every morning I would definitely stay at the dealer for all of your oil changes for the remainder of your warranty. That way you don’t have to have receipts for oil changes in your glove box. Your truck is beautiful BTW I still look back at my Bronco even after 2 years 😎

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Opinions vary widely on a "break-in" oil change. Some say it is not required on modern engines, other insist on changing their oil after 1k miles or so. My thought is that oil and filters are cheap enough that it won't hurt and could possibly benefit by changing the oil early. So, I did so on both my Broncos around 1500miles, again at the 5k mile mark and will continue at every 5k mile interval. 5 tire rotations on the 5k interval as well. You by no means have missed the boat at 2500 miles nor have you doomed yourself to premature engine failure.

As far as other fluids (coolant, differential, transmission, brake, blinker, etc) I follow the Ford recommendations or 100k miles, whichever comes first.

For a service shop, dealership or quick lube, go with whom you trust. It is not necessary to keep receipts but you should log the service in the Ford Pass app. Ford dealership performed services will automatically show in the app.

With regards to 5 tire rotation being done correctly, maybe print out the rotation procedure and leave it on your dash for the tech. By now, most Ford dealerships should be familiar with the Bronco 5 tire rotation procedure, but early on many claimed ignorance and/or stated that they never do that. You can also get some chalk and mark the tires, DF, DR, PF, PR, SP to signify to the tech on where the tire should go.

If you take it to a Ford dealership ask them to check to see if there are any outstanding customer satisfaction programs, TSB's, updates or recalls that need to be addressed. Depending on the answer you may have to bring to back or make a service appointment.

And pics are always appreciated.

Sponsored

jh3113

Black Diamond
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did an oil change at 5k, another a year later at 9k. I don't drive all that much so I will probably just do it once a year. Filters changed at 5k also, probably need to do that soon.

I plan to rotate tires every 3-5k depending on my schedule and time. I've done it once already, need to do it again soon. I do all the maintenance myself and keep my own logs separate from the Ford app.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lots of different opinions about when to do the first oil change etc. My rule of thumb is at around 3000 miles I get the first one done with a tire rotation. Then I follow when the oil monitor tells me. On my other vehicles I always do a 4 tire rotation, on the Bronco I do a 5 tire rotation.

IDAbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I did my first one at 3500 miles (~5 months). And from now on I plan on doing it every 6k.

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As you can see, opinions are all over there place on this. And that's just what they are - opinions.

Ford says follow the light. You'll be safe doing that. Changing sooner won't hurt anything except your wallet. Well, there's also the fact that it's a waste of natural resources to change your oil before it's necessary.

Change it when the light comes on, change it every 5000, 3000, 500?

Just do whatever makes you comfortable. You're not going to hurt the vehicle unless you ignore oil changes altogether. BUT, don't ignore the light when it's comes on.

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
On any new rig, I change the oil at 1,000 miles to get any break-in swarf out, then at 5,000, and at every 5,000 from there. Easy to remember, and oil and filters are cheaper than a rebuild. Tire rotations, every 10,000. Again, easy to remember.

This has served me well.

Sponsored

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For all my new cars, I never exceed 1K miles for the first change. This includes filter change and inspection.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford says 5000 miles on oil or once a year if you drive less than that. Tire rotation isn't nearly as important with modern radial tires as it was years ago with the old bias ply tires. In fact I don't rotate tires as long as they're wearing correctly.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I do a 5 tire rotation every 3K or so. It's easy enough to do at home. I like to keep the wear as even as possible.

Oil changes and what brand, etc. oil to use opinions really vary. Some people even have their oil tested. I agree that us car guys change the oil more often than recommended by Ford. For me, first oil change at 2250-2500, then every 4K or 8 months, whichever comes first. The oil monitor is a good indicator too. I try not to let it get less than 40%.

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve searched 6g, the Bronco Discord, as well as a few Reddit threads and have seen such a wide variety of answers I figured I would ask directly.

My 2023 2.3l Heritage just crossed over 2500 miles. All easy in town driving over the past three months. No off-roading, towing, or high engine revs for fun at this point. I know the oil in these cars can go for longer than 2500 miles and if I go by m y FordConnect App I’m at 70% oil life. But seeing so many people say they did ALL their fluids at 500 or a 1000 I am wondering if I am already behind the boat.

Please forgive some of the simple questions.

So…
Oil change. When?
Should I ask they to change all my fluids. Which I am guessing is brake and coolant? Are there more?
Tire rotation. I have seen someone post a pattern for a five wheel rotation to keep the spare in the mix. Is that a usual thing? Would a tire place or the dealership know to do that, or will I have to tell them how I want it done. Then how do you know they followed what you asked whiteout watching?

Where are people getting their service done? Do I go through a dealership just so everything is linked through my Ford account or does that not really matter?

On threads I have seen people talk about a window fix done through programming at the dealership. The update to lower the windows on unlock to help prevent it from flopping on the door when opened? What do I ask for them to do? Are they any other fixes I should know to ask for?

Picture added for no reason at all. I just like looking at her.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ford Bronco Just hit 2500 miles. When is it time for my first oil/fluid change and tire rotation? IMG_4926
Some will laugh, but in a vehicle that I don’t drive a lot of highway miles I usually change the oil at around 1000 or 1500 miles just to get all the crap out of the pan. If it’s a vehicle that sits most of the time than I usually do it again at 3000 miles and then every 3000 miles after that. If it’s one that I drive regularly on the highway my first oil change is usually at 2000 miles and then at 5000 miles and then every 5000 miles after that. I usually drive my vehicles for a few hundred thousand miles in to date and I haven’t had any mechanical issues using that strategy. Around here the dealer only charges about $55 for an oil change and it seems like inexpensive insurance to me.
Sponsored