Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2004 f150, 2018 Tesla model 3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey all,

I have a 22 Lux package 4 door (so the B&O system). The factory subwoofer blew and so I was looking for a relatively inexpensive way to address the situation. I had read about replacing the factory sub with the Kicker 8" comp slim sub so that was what I opted to do. I got the panels off, got the sub out, modified the box to fit the new sub, wired it up, turned it on.... and it sounds like crap.

It seems to be clipping on almost every song (popping noise) and just in general sounds very very dirty. Has anybody else experienced this? I know there are plenty of folks that have done this swap so I'm curious if I'm missing something there.

Some more details:
  • I cut the harness ends off and wired directly to the sub.
  • The sub is a dual voice coil sub just like the factory B&O one was.
  • I'm fairly sure I got the polarity right (Black & Purple negative, Yellow & Green Positive), could this be wrong and causing this issue?
  • This is the specific sub I ordered: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20648CT82/Kicker-48CWRT82.html
Sponsored

OP
OP

moshjeier

Outer Banks
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2004 f150, 2018 Tesla model 3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hah, as I was writing this I noticed that I ordered the 2ohm version and not the 4ohm version. I'm using the stock B&O amp... I'm guessing this is the problem?

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like an Impedance issue.

You can try a different wiring (series I think) method to double the Ohm rating and match the amps output

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hah, as I was writing this I noticed that I ordered the 2ohm version and not the 4ohm version. I'm using the stock B&O amp... I'm guessing this is the problem?
Yeah, you're asking that amp to do a LOT.

4ohm will definitely help, but ultimately you may not be happy until you install an aftermarket amp. The factory sub has a super efficient design to help with the low-powered factory amp.