Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello B6G,

I thought I would share. When I purchased my Bronco I went the route of Upgradeing the front/rear speakers with JBL and a Kicker Key 200.4 for my Sub, there were not a lot of good options a the time. So I went with the Kicker Key 500.1 and a KICKER TRTP 12-Inch Thin down fireing Sub.

I am generally happy with the front soundstage (will probably upgrade later) but with the sub I had always wanted something different. First of all, it takes up valuable storage space in the rear. Second, I would need to run two of them to run at 1 ohm. Third, I could not mount it on the back tailgate because of where the Terminal Cup is located. Finally, it is a down firing sub, so it should be face down.

I was holding out for the JL Audio Stealth box. Once I found out what speaker would be in it, I was disappointed. a) I would not be able to run it at 1 ohm and make full use of my amp. b) It would be no larger than a 10". c) It is still a mystery as to when it will be available.

I looked online for other options, but I did not like the stinger because a) I wanted JL Audio and b)it was only one 12" and appears to be a 4 ohm SVC which wouldn't make full use of my amplifier.

My audio shop near me did not want to mess with anything on my bronco that required any more thought than I put into it myself. Any other customized options would not be worth it to me from a cost/roi standpoint.

I looked on Ebay on a recommendation and found JeepPro. When I contacted him, he had a box that would suit my needs, but I didn't like the fact that the subs I was choosing were not recessed. He obtained the templates and built the box to spec for 2 x JL Audio 10TW3-D4. This way, I could wire these subs to 1 Ohm and mount them like I wanted it. It is still incoming, but I thought I would add some pictures and will update them once installed. I told him I would post it on the forums in case anyone else had the same idea. It might be worth looking into if, like me, you are unhappy with the wait times for the Stealthbox.
Ford Bronco Upgrading Subwoofers to 2 x JL Audio 10TW3-D4 20230618_161507

Ford Bronco Upgrading Subwoofers to 2 x JL Audio 10TW3-D4 Box 1.PNG

Ford Bronco Upgrading Subwoofers to 2 x JL Audio 10TW3-D4 s-l1600 2

Ford Bronco Upgrading Subwoofers to 2 x JL Audio 10TW3-D4 s-l1600 3

Ford Bronco Upgrading Subwoofers to 2 x JL Audio 10TW3-D4 s-l1600 4

Ford Bronco Upgrading Subwoofers to 2 x JL Audio 10TW3-D4 s-l1600 5

Ford Bronco Upgrading Subwoofers to 2 x JL Audio 10TW3-D4 s-l1600
Sponsored

Last edited:

Junior127

Big Bend
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend, 2019 F350, 1992 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Agreed. I appreciate the communication. I look forward to installing this.
I might have missed it but where will you be mounting the box.

the box looks awsome too.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Brutal-Force

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So on my journey to installation:

I should have done it myself. I have tried two installers and both do a worse job than I would have. They don't even tie strap their cables. This last one left his 8mm Matco socket behind my right rear quarter panel. While I was in there I noticed he broke two of the white panel clips (on order). He didn't properly secure the panel behind the seat. And the cable was too short, I had to extend it.

These are all temporary repairs for right now. My gut said I should have just done it myself, so that is what I am going to do. I already ordered new panel clips, when they come in I will reroute an entirely new cable, for now I had to add extension between two different installers that can't follow directions.

Last edited:

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious if that's enough air volume for those two powerful subs? ALso wondering if this would work as a down-firing box if you put some standoffs on the bottom.

OP
OP

Brutal-Force

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Curious if that's enough air volume for those two powerful subs? ALso wondering if this would work as a down-firing box if you put some standoffs on the bottom.
As for size, plenty of air volume. It was specifically built for these speakers, including the JL specific grill design. As for downfiring, I guess you could, but if I was going that route, I would have built something that covered the entire floor of the bronco. He makes another specific downfiring box https://www.ebay.com/itm/314355903276 but I didn't want my trunk space taken up ( I originally had kicker downfire).

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the link!

Nice boxes - but once you put the subs in and get the amp... you're several hundred bucks above that JL Stealbox - which is pricey enough as it is...

Still, good reference point.

As for size, plenty of air volume. It was specifically built for these speakers, including the JL specific grill design. As for downfiring, I guess you could, but if I was going that route, I would have built something that covered the entire floor of the bronco. He makes another specific downfiring box https://www.ebay.com/itm/314355903276 but I didn't want my trunk space taken up ( I originally had kicker downfire).

OP
OP

Brutal-Force

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the link!

Nice boxes - but once you put the subs in and get the amp... you're several hundred bucks above that JL Stealbox - which is pricey enough as it is...

Still, good reference point.
In my case, it wasn't buy the box then the amp, it was the other way around. I am just saving someone following my path some aggravation.

A Kicker 500.1 needs two speakers to utilize the 500W RMS. I had a KICKER TRTP 12-inch 2-Ohm (claimed 1000W) Enclosure. I didn't like it laying in my trunk space and It would only utilize the 300W RMS of the amp. Sure, I could have just gotten the JL Audio Box (which admittedly looks better), but it also has drawbacks. It "on paper" is only 300W.

4 Ohms = 150 Watts RMS
2 Ohms = 300 Watts RMS
1 Ohm = 500 Watts RMS.

I already owned the 500.1; had I bought a different amp first, things would be different. The Stealthbox is a 10 TW1 with a single speaker that is a 2-ohm mono, 300W speaker, vs two TW3 400 W speakers. I could have bought a $1200 speaker, or in my case a $299 speaker cabinet and two TW3s from Crutchfield for $967. So total $1266. Also, at the time, I had been waiting on the Stealbox for about 4 months, which never came. I bought my box before it was actually available. Finally, I figured that if I wasn't happy with how loud it was, there was no way to put a bigger speaker in it, so I was stuck with a 300W speaker. Now, if I want louder, I can buy a 1000W amplifier. I am more than content with the 500W I have now so I don't see me upgrading any time soon.

In the end I am not saying I have a better set up, I am saying that this is the path I took, others may take a different path for different reasons. I only shared so others could learn from my choices.

Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just went the Mobridge route and did a rip / replace of everything, including stuffing an 8'' kicker CompR into the stock enclosure.

At full power (250-300 watt RMS) the 8'' overpowers that enclosure and space and I get a bad sympathetic rattle / vibration in the cone itself, so I'm looking at adding some more low end in the back.

Downfiring kicker (maybe the square one) - is the easiest way to go, but wanted to look at what 2 x 10'' would look like / cost me.

In my case, it wasn't buy the box then the amp, it was the other way around. I am just saving someone following my path some aggravation.

A Kicker 500.1 needs two speakers to utilize the 500W RMS. I had a KICKER TRTP 12-inch 2-Ohm (claimed 1000W) Enclosure. I didn't like it laying in my trunk space and It would only utilize the 300W RMS of the amp. Sure, I could have just gotten the JL Audio Box (which admittedly looks better), but it also has drawbacks. It "on paper" is only 300W.

4 Ohms = 150 Watts RMS
2 Ohms = 300 Watts RMS
1 Ohm = 500 Watts RMS.

I already owned the 500.1; had I bought a different amp first, things would be different. The Stealthbox is a 10 TW1 with a single speaker that is a 2-ohm mono, 300W speaker, vs two TW3 400 W speakers. I could have bought a $1200 speaker, or in my case a $299 speaker cabinet and two TW3s from Crutchfield for $967. So total $1266. Also, at the time, I had been waiting on the Stealbox for about 4 months, which never came. I bought my box before it was actually available. Finally, I figured that if I wasn't happy with how loud it was, there was no way to put a bigger speaker in it, so I was stuck with a 300W speaker. Now, if I want louder, I can buy a 1000W amplifier. I am more than content with the 500W I have now so I don't see me upgrading any time soon.

In the end I am not saying I have a better set up, I am saying that this is the path I took, others may take a different path for different reasons. I only shared so others could learn from my choices.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

MidwayJ

Raptor
First Name
Mid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Looks awesome - that box is really nice! My only question is how does this do with rattling? Mine already sounds like I have subs with all the rattles and random shaking noises. Did you have to Dynamat it well?

OP
OP

Brutal-Force

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would say that rattleing isn't 100% preventable. In my opinion the Soft top Bronco has built in rattles. My sub box doesn't rattle but the tailgate does from time to time going over heavy bumps.

If you are dead set on no rattles, ya might want to keep it stock. Sorry.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would say that rattleing isn't 100% preventable. In my opinion the Soft top Bronco has built in rattles. My sub box doesn't rattle but the tailgate does from time to time going over heavy bumps.

If you are dead set on no rattles, ya might want to keep it stock. Sorry.
A tailgate reinforcement may help with that.
Sponsored