Sponsored

Warn Elite bumper: closer look and intercooler questions.

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Like many others awaiting the arrival of their Bronco, I’ve been gathering accessories and add-ons to help make the wait a bit more bearable.

A Warn Zeon 10s and the Warn Elite bumper have arrived and thought others would like to get a closer look at this bumper. It appears to be well built and I think it’s one of the better looking and cleanest looking options available right now.

This will be my first vehicle with a mounted winch and I have some intercooler concerns after after a friend forwarded me the “Bronco Equipment Installation Guide” that Ford has created. Below is an image of the page that shows areas of the front of the vehicle that, if obstructed, are low, medium, and high risk for causing problems.

Best I can tell, the winch itself will sit directly in front of the intercooler. There does not seem to be any clear path for airflow to the intercooler once the winch is mounted, as seen in the photos I’m including. There are two cutout sections below the fairlead access hole, the lower most being a potential place for an aftermarket duct to scoop air up and direct at the intercooler. It’s difficult to tell if the geometry and space would work for this solution. I’ll be able to better tell once my Bronco arrives and I get it mounted.

I called Warn today and the technical support person said he doesn’t think Warn did any formal testing on the effects of the winch and bumper on air flow. He did say he hasn’t heard of any problems (whatever that’s worth.) I will likely email Warn and present the question and hopefully it will get to someone with more direct knowledge of this bumper/winch on the Bronco. A formal response would be helpful.

The Ford factory winch DOES appear to mount a fair bit higher than the Warn.

I want to hear others thoughts about the intercooler issue based on their experience in their own vehicles or knowledge of this type of thing. Should I be worrried or will it most likely be fine?

Ford Bronco Warn Elite bumper: closer look and intercooler questions. B4F20D4F-C488-41A3-A30B-7995C2CC8423

Ford Bronco Warn Elite bumper: closer look and intercooler questions. 564E2346-F0FF-46E4-B6EC-C5320469AF5D

Ford Bronco Warn Elite bumper: closer look and intercooler questions. F3E686AF-0CC2-48F9-982D-8470F4DCE22F

Ford Bronco Warn Elite bumper: closer look and intercooler questions. D71A7E9C-1A43-497D-A62A-75BD11EF16E3

Ford Bronco Warn Elite bumper: closer look and intercooler questions. DFC223AF-70C8-4D40-B6CE-55CC84B5E7C6

Ford Bronco Warn Elite bumper: closer look and intercooler questions. 902DECBA-80FB-4A29-A6EB-5218DC0DB2F9

Ford Bronco Warn Elite bumper: closer look and intercooler questions. 437ECA46-7D1A-4515-A0DA-9AF54A62EED4

Ford Bronco Warn Elite bumper: closer look and intercooler questions. 268E7D4D-945B-4E9F-8931-E9E9F1FE33E4

Ford Bronco Warn Elite bumper: closer look and intercooler questions. A0A3F367-8A81-4710-8FC9-1BCF4174E73F

Ford Bronco Warn Elite bumper: closer look and intercooler questions. 3F8307DD-A71A-45C1-9974-8FB25A27D6B7
Sponsored

Last edited:

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm just going to be following people's personal experiences these and other bumpers (my favorite being the ARB).

It really seems to be a shame that mounting high interferes with the front camera, while mounting lower has the potential to disrupt intercooler airflow.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would definitely be concerned about covering such a critical cooling "port"

On the other hand, intercooling of turbos is used to get more power and uncooled turbos have run for years. But it depends on where the turbo is located. If you block the air be prepared to lose maybe 15,20% off the top, maybe more. You could always remove the turbo and reprogram the chip, but running it hotter will do much of the same.

I would rather block the front camera, which is why no winch is compatible with lux

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm just going to be following people's personal experiences these and other bumpers (my favorite being the ARB).

It really seems to be a shame that mounting high interferes with the front camera, while mounting lower has the potential to disrupt intercooler airflow.
Only problem is ARB doesn’t make a winch mount bumper yet that I’ve seen. There was an overland style one previewed recently that they are working on that does, but the looks of it ruin the lines of front end IMO.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Rear to match!
Even more interesting than the bumper is the roof rack they have on that MIC Sasquatch. I hope there’s a solution soon for those of us that couldn’t get roof rails with our 2.7 MIC SAS builds from the factory. I’d like some more info on that rack!

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Even more interesting than the bumper is the roof rack they have on that MIC Sasquatch. I hope there’s a solution soon for those of us that couldn’t get roof rails with our 2.7 MIC SAS builds from the factory. I’d like some more info on that rack!
Right, I’ve been curious about this as well. I talked to GFC about it and it seems like Camburg took GFC hardware and cobbled something together. I love how low profile it is - but, I doubt it’s usable for anything outside of the RTT - which is of interest to me.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Unless you are racing in the Baja 1000 or pulling 1/4 mile runs it won’t matter.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah that’s the overland style one I mentioned. Haven’t seen it actually for sale yet, but send me a link if you find one. While I’m sure it’s quite functional and provides good protection, I’m not a fan of what it does to the physical appearance of the front of the vehicle. It’s always a trade off and I’m sure that will be a great bumper for some. It also doesn’t seem to address the issue of intercooler air flow. The winch seems to sit in exactly the same place as the Elite. I can’t imagine how heavy that one must be. My Elite bumper without the bull bar is heavy enough. I believe it weighs about 100lbs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Unless you are racing in the Baja 1000 or pulling 1/4 mile runs it won’t matter.
I’m definitely not doing either. Won’t even be towing much with it. It does get hotter than hell in Georgia though…

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m definitely not doing either. Won’t even be towing much with it. It does get hotter than hell in Georgia though…
I’ve never lived anywhere else. Your bronco won’t miss a beat with that bumper on it.

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah that’s the overland style one I mentioned. Haven’t seen it actually for sale yet, but send me a link if you find one. While I’m sure it’s quite functional and provides good protection, I’m not a fan of what it does to the physical appearance of the front of the vehicle. It’s always a trade off and I’m sure that will be a great bumper for some. It also doesn’t seem to address the issue of intercooler air flow. The winch seems to sit in exactly the same place as the Elite. I can’t imagine how heavy that one must be. My Elite bumper without the bull bar is heavy enough. I believe it weighs about 100lbs.
It’s definitely not pretty, and I don’t like that it obscures the lines of the front, but if I want to brush off a suicidal deer without damage AND have a winch, this one seems like it’d work well. Hopefully they make a camera relocation kit.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just received a response from Warn regarding testing they have done with the Elite bumper with a winch and intercooler air flow. Helps alleviate some concerns for me, hopefully others as well.

Ford Bronco Warn Elite bumper: closer look and intercooler questions. AAEA7363-F853-4B40-B54C-158EB3E4C1C4

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It’s definitely not pretty, and I don’t like that it obscures the lines of the front, but if I want to brush off a suicidal deer without damage AND have a winch, this one seems like it’d work well. Hopefully they make a camera relocation kit.
Definitely would help mitigate damage from a deer strike and it’s certainly a problem here in Georgia.
Sponsored