Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2.3 L Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got mine installed today. Boy, cutting off the frame extensions was a chore. Once I finished that, the rest seemed to fall into place pretty easily. Like everyone else, I had to go get a few extra bolts and washers for the new skid plate. I used the Badlands Apex winch from HF. Everything lined up great, except for the clutch handle. The way it’s oriented, you can’t rotate the handle between engaged and free spin due to the hose from the inter cooler. Also, the controller extension was completely different (different number of prongs) so will have to look into other extensions for the controller. It is wireless though, so will probably just use it that way for the most part.

AFBA53AF-7C69-4B16-A142-469F0223F5F4.jpeg
Awesome looks great and I agree on the bracket chopping being a chore.

The Warn controller wire would not work with the RC extension either but it is also Bluetooth. I was worried about charging the controller so luckily the Warn controller cable was super long and I ended up wiring it through the firewall gromit.

Now before offroading I will just be plugging the control in from inside the cab.

+ @redone17 who I think also was installing a Badlands winch with the RC kit.
Sponsored

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome looks great and I agree on the bracket chopping being a chore.

The Warn controller wire would not work with the RC extension either but it is also Bluetooth. I was worried about charging the controller so luckily the Warn controller cable was super long and I ended up wiring it through the firewall gromit.

Now before offroading I will just be plugging the control in from inside the cab.

+ @redone17 who I think also was installing a Badlands winch with the RC kit.
Appreciate it! I didn’t think to run the controller cable through the firewall into the cabin, as the cable I have is extremely long as well (I believe 12 ft). I’ll most certainly do this now. Thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
ryannshit

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate it! I didn’t think to run the controller cable through the firewall into the cabin, as the cable I have is extremely long as well (I believe 12 ft). I’ll most certainly do this now. Thanks for the tip.
No worries! I keep it wrapped and velcro strapped to the side of the driver panel nice and tucked away.

In the video I posted at the beginning of the thread, I have a quick pic of the gromit I went through but I have a manual transmission which I'm told may have a different firewall entry

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No worries! I keep it wrapped and velcro strapped to the side of the driver panel nice and tucked away.

In the video I posted at the beginning of the thread, I have a quick pic of the gromit I went through but I have a manual transmission which I'm told may have a different firewall entry

Just finished up getting it through. A little bit of a pain, but managed. I’ll grab some Velcro and tuck it away as well. Thanks again for the idea.

I think the handle on your Warn switching from engaged to free spin is orientated the same way the as my Badlands. Do you have issues switching the handle between modes?

OP
OP
ryannshit

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just finished up getting it through. A little bit of a pain, but managed. I’ll grab some Velcro and tuck it away as well. Thanks again for the idea.

I think the handle on your Warn switching from engaged to free spin is orientated the same way the as my Badlands. Do you have issues switching the handle between modes?
I can engage/disengage fine. The trouble is reaching the clutch lever but I ordered a claw grabber tool that will work.

Attachments

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Link for claw grabber?

Now I’m concerned about the clutch on the badland. I didn’t foresee that issue and the other users that I’ve seen install the badland with the RC mount hadn’t mentioned the interference.

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can engage/disengage fine. The trouble is reaching the clutch lever but I ordered a claw grabber tool that will work.
When I turn the clutch from engaged to free spool, it hits the large hose halfway through the turn from the intercooler. I assume yours spins under the hose?

OP
OP
ryannshit

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Link for claw grabber?

Now I’m concerned about the clutch on the badland. I didn’t foresee that issue and the other users that I’ve seen install the badland with the RC mount hadn’t mentioned the interference.
This here. I can still grab it without it but it's a bit of a stretch leaning in off the front of the bronco grill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ryannshit

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This here. I can still grab it without it but it's a bit of a stretch leaning in off the front of the bronco grill.
The link is not working.

I think the Evo 10 is lower profile on the sides…

Sponsored
OP
OP
ryannshit

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah I have clearance. Maybe your clutch sits higher than the Warn?

Here is a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1EvhKrPxFkzP8pCz9
Yeah, I see the difference now. Both handles from each winch are pointed in the same direction, but the Badlands Apex rotates 180 degrees. It also has to turn from the 9'oclock to the 3'oclock in a counter-clockwise direction, and once it rotates just past 90 degrees, it hits the hose coming across the top of the winch. Since yours only has to turn 90 degrees and points down and away from the hose, it works fine.

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ryannshit

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, I see the difference now. Both handles from each winch are pointed in the same direction, but the Badlands Apex rotates 180 degrees. It also has to turn from the 9'oclock to the 3'oclock in a counter-clockwise direction, and once it rotates just past 90 degrees, it hits the hose coming across the top of the winch. Since yours only has to turn 90 degrees and points down and away from the hose, it works fine.

Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount image
Can you take off the handle of the Badlands and make an extension somehow to engage/disengage?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can you take off the handle of the Badlands and make an extension somehow to engage/disengage?
I just took off the clutch handle by removing the little retaining bolt. It’s all greased up and there is an o-ring to avoid moisture getting inside. The mechanism seems pretty specific. I don’t think I want to mess with that.

My current train of thought is to cut the handle to clear the hose and using a 1.5” socket notched out (the width of the handle) with an extension and a T handle. I’ve gotta measure the length needed. 24” extension may be overkill. 18” might be perfect.

Now I just need to sort out a bracket for the power disconnect…where’d you mount yours @JustSendItDude ?

Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount 2C68F785-1C45-4915-B9EA-A28EF5AD85AA

JustSendItDude

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just took off the clutch handle by removing the little retaining bolt. It’s all greased up and there is an o-ring to avoid moisture getting inside. The mechanism seems pretty specific. I don’t think I want to mess with that.

My current train of thought is to cut the handle to clear the hose and using a 1.5” socket notched out (the width of the handle) with an extension and a T handle. I’ve gotta measure the length needed. 24” extension may be overkill. 18” might be perfect.

Now I just need to sort out a bracket for the power disconnect…where’d you mount yours @JustSendItDude ?

Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount 2C68F785-1C45-4915-B9EA-A28EF5AD85AA
I have not mounted the power disconnect module yet. I forgot which thread I read it on, but apparently, Warn recommended to not use a power disconnect. So I’m a little hesitant to mount it.

I think cutting the handle is a viable option. I’m going to pick up your Amazon cart and see if I can’t make it work with those items.
Sponsored