Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Think I’ve decided to go with a Warn EVO 10 (not the 10-S). That way I’ll save a couple bennies and then use the savings to swap the steel cable for a freedom winch line. I’m just going to get the wireless controller add-on so I don’t have to mount the hand controller port and then run power to a 500 amp Stinger relay so I can use AUX6.
Still not excited about modifying the oil cooler, but this is clearly the best option for a hidden winch on our vehicles at the moment.

OP
OP
ryannshit

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2.3 L Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Think I’ve decided to go with a Warn EVO 10 (not the 10-S). That way I’ll save a couple bennies and then use the savings to swap the steel cable for a freedom winch line. I’m just going to get the wireless controller add-on so I don’t have to mount the hand controller port and then run power to a 500 amp Stinger relay so I can use AUX6.
Still not excited about modifying the oil cooler, but this is clearly the best option for a hidden winch on our vehicles at the moment.
For what it's worth, for the warn 10s Bluetooth controller the only reason I still fed the wire through the cab (tucked away) was to be able to charge the controller while driving up to a trail. When winching I use it wirelessly.

Not sure what you are referring to re: modifying the cooler, is yours a 2.7?

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For what it's worth, for the warn 10s Bluetooth controller the only reason I still fed the wire through the cab (tucked away) was to be able to charge the controller while driving up to a trail. When winching I use it wirelessly.

Not sure what you are referring to re: modifying the cooler, is yours a 2.7?
Yes. If you read the instructions on the 2.7 you have to shorten the oil cooler lines and use included hardware in the kit to adjust its position.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I need some recommendations from you gents. I’m installing my setup with Freedom Winch Line from BleepinJeep using a Yankum modified hawse fairlead that has the modified ends for rope. Unfortunately, the angle of the RC fairlead mounting point will prevent a rope from being wrapped around the edges of the fairlead. It’s not the end of the world, but with rope this type of fair lead allows for certain functionality similar to Taino, a boat at dock.

Do you think I could use some sort of spacer to make room? Or would that compromise stability?

Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount IMG_2516
Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount IMG_2517
Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount IMG_2518
Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount IMG_2519
Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount IMG_2520
Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount IMG_2521
Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount IMG_2522

Last edited:

Sponsored

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Finished the install of the RC 12k hidden winch on my badlands squash. I was determined to have the clutch release functional as I'm too impatient to wait for the slow motor travel. My neighbor and I started brain storming and measuring. He has access to a water jet at his work. We came up with an idea using a gear and rack operated with a PTO cable. First thing he did was cut the gear and rack and brackets on the water jet. We then reclocked the clutch end for clearance. Had to modify the intercooler shutters which RC Had no idea were there. They were like talking to a deer in the headlights. We then routed the PTO cable to a bracket fabbed on the battery tray. I also installed a wireless remote from Amazon and added a 600 amp cutoff switch. Came out very clean and works great. I told him we need to market these.

PXL_20230402_001935994.jpg

IMG_20230619_185211.jpg

IMG_20230619_190251.jpg

PXL_20230620_025407916.jpg

PXL_20230329_201925642.jpg

PXL_20230402_001918501.jpg

PXL_20230405_004557507.jpg

PXL_20230402_001925196.jpg

OP
OP
ryannshit

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finished the install of the RC 12k hidden winch on my badlands squash. I was determined to have the clutch release functional as I'm too impatient to wait for the slow motor travel. My neighbor and I started brain storming and measuring. He has access to a water jet at his work. We came up with an idea using a gear and rack operated with a PTO cable. First thing he did was cut the gear and rack and brackets on the water jet. We then reclocked the clutch end for clearance. Had to modify the intercooler shutters which RC Had no idea were there. They were like talking to a deer in the headlights. We then routed the PTO cable to a bracket fabbed on the battery tray. I also installed a wireless remote from Amazon and added a 600 amp cutoff switch. Came out very clean and works great. I told him we need to market these.

Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount PXL_20230402_001925196

This is awesome but I don't think I have the skills to put something like this together for my evo 10s. Makes me wonder if I could fit a bolt of some sort and use an extended socket somehow to turn the switch 🤔

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ryan, yes it's complex. I originally thought before I bought the winch if it had a 45* throw to disengage I could just use a pto cable by itself. In fact I bought the cable before the winch got here. When unboxed I found it needed 180* to disengage! Back to the drawing board. This has worked out well. Thanks Jim.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is awesome but I don't think I have the skills to put something like this together for my evo 10s. Makes me wonder if I could fit a bolt of some sort and use an extended socket somehow to turn the switch 🤔
That’s what I did. I carry around a 1.5” socket, t-handle and extension (they live in the bag with my kinetic rope and soft shackles). I had to cut the switch handle a bit.

Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount IMG_4362

Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount IMG_4363

OP
OP
ryannshit

ryannshit

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s what I did. I carry around a 1.5” socket, t-handle and extension (they live in the bag with my kinetic rope and soft shackles). I had to cut the switch handle a bit.

Ok sweet. I will go this route as well. Thanks for the pics.

Sponsored

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

mvilla

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4-door Badlands Bronco w/ Sasquatch package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah - I had the room, so I was able to move it and liked having access to the wires, but with an IP68 waterproof rating, you certainly don't need to. I also wasn't sure it would fit, but you proved me wrong there! ;-)

You are going to laugh at what I used to attach to the clutch. I had actually bought an extra handle (wasted money) so I could modify it, but I ended up just bending some metal as a "cover" for it that I put at the end of an extension rod that I ran up through the cross bar (carefully) and put a corresponding handle on top. That metal 'cover' also has rubber in it to create a firm grip (and is restricted from vertically coming off by the flange coupling above and below the cross bar and the arm for the handle at the top. Hope this helps. Got inspiration from another guy on here (cannot remember name at the moment) who had a different winch but drilled through for an extension rod).

Do you know approximately how far the new clutch handle is from the original?

I found this clutch relocation kit from Vice, but they recommend only going 18” and i’m not sure if that would be enough to move the clutch up into the engine bay.

Warn Evo Clutch Relocation Kit

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you know approximately how far the new clutch handle is from the original?

I found this clutch relocation kit from Vice, but they recommend only going 18” and i’m not sure if that would be enough to move the clutch up into the engine bay.

Warn Evo Clutch Relocation Kit
I looked at the Vice kit when I was installing and decided it was not going to work for me as I figured I didn't want to count on having access in the mud if this was in the wheel well or under the bumper, so I simply created my solution (drew inspiration from another B6G member) and put my handle up in the top of the engine bay. Did have to drill through some bits, but no big deal. Pretty easy compared to some solutions.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah - I had the room, so I was able to move it and liked having access to the wires, but with an IP68 waterproof rating, you certainly don't need to. I also wasn't sure it would fit, but you proved me wrong there! ;-)

You are going to laugh at what I used to attach to the clutch. I had actually bought an extra handle (wasted money) so I could modify it, but I ended up just bending some metal as a "cover" for it that I put at the end of an extension rod that I ran up through the cross bar (carefully) and put a corresponding handle on top. That metal 'cover' also has rubber in it to create a firm grip (and is restricted from vertically coming off by the flange coupling above and below the cross bar and the arm for the handle at the top. Hope this helps. Got inspiration from another guy on here (cannot remember name at the moment) who had a different winch but drilled through for an extension rod).

1651157313139.png

IMG_7068.jpeg

IMG_7067.jpeg
Michael, I'm super confused about how you attached the rod to the clutch handle. Did you use one of those flange connectors, and if so, how? My one concern with this is if I had a front-end collision and insurance tried to void coverage for modifying the cross member.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It might be a bit hard to see, but I simply created a "U shaped" metal sleeve that sits on the factory handle (it has some rubber to make it snug). It does not come "up" because I have it limit the vertical travel with the flange coupler on the rod. As for insurance, it is about a 1/4" hole - since there are other factory holes MUCH larger than this, I'm not honestly concerned about any issues for failure. I did paint to minimize any bare metal exposure as well, though some of that is likely to rub off with driving vibration.

Ford Bronco Warn Hidden Winch - Rough Country Mount IMG_7068
Sponsored