Sponsored

Wasn't going to buy the Bronco, but ended up doing it; a few reasons I'm happy I brought it home

jb56

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I started to lean toward not buying the bronco because my wife and I have since made other vehicle plans. But I ended up trading in my F150 Lariat and buying the Bronco for MSRP. (4 door Wildtrak)

Here are the things I was concerned about (On the pavement only): TL;DR: I am very pleased and this vehicle has exceeded my expectations.

Price and Appreciation
The dealership seems to believe that the $60 broncos will continue to sell for over $70k for a long time. I'm still very skeptical of that.

MPG
After a few commutes and some initial testing, it seems like I'll end up between 16-18 MPG vs 19-20 with the F150. Not a huge difference and I wasn't driving the F150 for the mileage.

Road Manners
I'm honestly blown away. I'm sorry I ever doubted it. How can an off road beast with 35 inch all terrain tires behave that well on the highway and in the suburban concrete jungle? I'm honestly floored. It's not perfect or anything, but I think the steering and suspension feels better than our platinum expedition. I personally prefer it by a substantial margin over the Jeeps and 4Runners I've driven.

Power
A few weeks ago, there was a thread about the bronco being neutered. I don't understand that. The low end torque and turbo performance from the 2.7 liter engine in the wildtrak is fantastic. Plenty of power off the line and it's very impressive from 60-80 MPH on the freeway. I do not see why the power would be a negative with this vehicle unless you are talking about towing or some type of off-road driving I don't participate in.

Seat Comfort
The F150 and Expedition are incredibly comfortable, so I was worried as a bigger guy that I wouldn't be comfortable in the Bronco on my commute. I was wrong. I should repent. The seats are great. A few people said they were not comfortable, but I'm not sure what they are looking for here. I have the leather, so maybe the more rugged seats are more stiff or less roomy? I don't know.

Visibility
I'm really impressed by the visibility. Even the mirrors are fine. Though I will say, when you have the roof panels in the bag in the back, it blocks rear visibility.

Speakers
The upgraded B&O speakers are solid. Fantastic for podcasting and music, even with the roof off.

Infotainment
Wireless car play and I are trying to make friends, but I feel like it's not quite ready. But it's a great feature. The huge screen is super cool. I don't think Ford has done a great job with using all the extra real-estate though, other than that amazing graphic that plays when you get in. Oh, and the cameras are fantastic. Even better on the 2022 than the 2020 cameras from other Ford models.

Area 51 Color
I can't believe how good it looks in person. People talked about how it was better in person, but I am blown away. I have the all black wheels, and that Area 51 finish looks amazing.

Roof Storage
It's honestly annoying to me that they send a bag for the front panels but not for the center panel for the 4 door model. Not the end of the world, but managing that thing is annoying. I understood that taking off the back hatch would be cumbersome and storing it would take some creativity, but I didn't think about the center panel being a pain in the a**

I'm excited to do some intermediate off-road stuff in this rig. Even though I basically hate Ford at this point and the process of ordering/reserving for both the Bronco and Lightning pisses me off, Ford absolutely knocked it out of the park with the Bronco. Just incredible.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jb56

jb56

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My fuel mileage was steady at 16.7 for about 1000 miles. Now, at nearly 10,000, it is at 19.9. Give ECO mode a try after you are done racing it!!
I'll check it out! 19+ would be great for something this capable.

Mocopo

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4dr Badsquatch. 22 JLUR-XR.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also getting over 19mpg here.
As for the infotainment, I use Android Auto, and could not be happier having my OnX Offroad maps pop up on that big screen. Granted it doesn't use the whole screen for Android Auto, but its way better than just my phone.

Reactions: Jdc
OP
OP
jb56

jb56

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also getting over 19mpg here.
As for the infotainment, I use Android Auto, and could not be happier having my OnX Offroad maps pop up on that big screen. Granted it doesn't use the whole screen for Android Auto, but its way better than just my phone.
True true. And on apple car play, I can have the map up on car play, and I can also have the pause button on the screen for my music or podcast. So that is nice.

Sponsored

RiskyB

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I also have a WT (soft top), and agree with pretty much everything you said, i came from a sierra SLT and love the WT! How fast are you driving to get the mileage? We just took a trip to Kansas City from Okc this weekend, I averaged 15.5 mpg, but stayed with traffic at 80-85mph. We are taking a longer trip later this year, I'll definitely try eco mode.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the write up. One question. “Did you have it in sport mode or normal mode when you referenced the decent acceleration?”

OP
OP
jb56

jb56

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the write up. One question. “Did you have it in sport mode or normal mode when you referenced the decent acceleration?”
So I'm sorry to admit this, but I haven't even changed any modes yet. It's just in standard. I was going to mess with the modes when I head up the canyon. I read that thread a while back about sport mode, and I know people say that really opened things up for them. But I haven't tried that yet.

So I thought the Wildtrak was plenty "peppy" in standard compared to our V6 Pilot we used to have and our 3.5 L Ecoboost expedition. And I was pleasantly surprised by the freeway acceleration merging from about 40 MPH to 75 MPH, also in standard.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I also have a WT (soft top), and agree with pretty much everything you said, i came from a sierra SLT and love the WT! How fast are you driving to get the mileage? We just took a trip to Kansas City from Okc this weekend, I averaged 15.5 mpg, but stayed with traffic at 80-85mph. We are taking a longer trip later this year, I'll definitely try eco mode.
Running premium? I get 4/5 MPG additional at least running premium/eco mode, but def not at 80MPH. Keeping it under 2k RPM seems to be the trick to getting 24 MPH, but def not uphill into a headwind, etc.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I'm sorry to admit this, but I haven't even changed any modes yet. It's just in standard. I was going to mess with the modes when I head up the canyon. I read that thread a while back about sport mode, and I know people say that really opened things up for them. But I haven't tried that yet.

So I thought the Wildtrak was plenty "peppy" in standard compared to our V6 Pilot we used to have and our 3.5 L Ecoboost expedition. And I was pleasantly surprised by the freeway acceleration merging from about 40 MPH to 75 MPH, also in standard.
Thanks for clarifying. That is actually good news that you felt it was decent in normal mode.

Sponsored

GroovyGhost

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Roof Storage
It's honestly annoying to me that they send a bag for the front panels but not for the center panel for the 4 door model. Not the end of the world, but managing that thing is annoying. I understood that taking off the back hatch would be cumbersome and storing it would take some creativity, but I didn't think about the center panel being a pain in the a**

I'm excited to do some intermediate off-road stuff in this rig. Even though I basically hate Ford at this point and the process of ordering/reserving for both the Bronco and Lightning pisses me off, Ford absolutely knocked it out of the park with the Bronco. Just incredible.
My center roof panel bag showed up at the dealer a month after I took delivery. They said they often ship late.

OP
OP
jb56

jb56

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My center roof panel bag showed up at the dealer a month after I took delivery. They said they often ship late.
Oh really? Thanks! I didn't realize that was possible. So I'll reach out to the dealership
Sponsored