Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've searched the various threads and can't find where anyone has a solution to my particular dilemma. A couple months ago, I purchase a Forest River popup that has an electric tongue Jack. If I want to hook directly to my factory tow package on my Wildtrak, I have to remove the 35" tire. However, I still run the risk of tearing off the camera if I don't drive in a straight line.

For my first trip, I bought a 12" extension. That solved my problem and it was a short trip 40 minutes away. I did notice a squat on both the camper and Bronco that made me nervous. I have a 6 hour trip coming up and have been researching and learned that the extensions reduce my towing capacity a lot. Hence the squat.

Long story short, I've been researching Weight Distribution setups and want to find one that has a long enough shank to clear the camera and tire. Has anyone been in a similar situation? What product did you use?

Camper Specs:

Dry Weight
1,896 lbs.
Payload Capacity
1,359 lbs.
Hitch Weight
255 lbs
Sponsored

Last edited:

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don’t think your problem with squat is the 12” extension - it’s the tongue weight of the trailer.

I would suspect if you have an electric tongue jack this trailer must have some heft to it on the tongue weight. Ultimately, you should see if there is a way to reduce that. Can you repack the trailer to put more weight aft of axles (more weight behind the axles = less weight at the tongue)? Also - the electric jack itself could be pretty heavy right there at the tounge. Maybe replace it with a hand crank?

Other than that…weight distribution bars. Or you could look into Sumo Springs for the Bronco: https://www.etrailer.com/p-SS36EV.html

OP
OP
PatientlyWaiting

PatientlyWaiting

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don’t think your problem with squat is the 12” extension - it’s the tongue weight of the trailer.

I would suspect if you have an electric tongue jack this trailer must have some heft to it on the tongue weight. Ultimately, you should see if there is a way to reduce that. Can you repack the trailer to put more weight aft of axles (more weight behind the axles = less weight at the tongue)? Also - the electric jack itself could be pretty heavy right there at the tounge. Maybe replace it with a hand crank?

Other than that…weight distribution bars. Or you could look into Sumo Springs for the Bronco: https://www.etrailer.com/p-SS36EV.html
Not sure why the previous owners installed that jack. It definitely wasn't because of weight. Well under 3500 fully loaded and 255lbs on tongue. It may have been a physical issue with using a hand crank. They didn't skimp on the jack, its pretty heavy duty.

I'm definitely going to go with Weight distribution bars. I just need something with a long enough shank to clear the tire and camera.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are correct the extension has reduced the available weight the tongue can carry. How much I am not sure and really don't remember the math to do it. If you use a weight distribution hitch you will have to add that to the weight of it already on the tongue, so it will lower it more.

Your best bet has been stated already. Try to move the weight in the trailer to behind the rear wheels.

You can use a tape measure to see how much more squat you get with and with out the extension.

If you can't do that then take the tire off hook up the trailer with all the gear and head to a truck scale to find the real weight.

Some squat is a good thing. Air bags will work to level it, but if you are over weight you are over weight. This would be a better bet then the WDH.

Happycampinman

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Look at the equalizer weight distribution set up. They have 12’ shanks and I would imagine they can match weight distribution with sway control for you weight.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had similar situation hauling my side x side...the hitch extension actually compounds the tongue weight effect. As others have mentioned try repositioning your cargo. I only had to move the side x side back 6" to alleviate the squat.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A couple thoughts:

1. Be careful shifting weight back. 10-15% on the tongue is recommended for safe highway speeds.

2. Extensions do increase the weight because they act like a lever.

As a general rule, the use of extenders (and hitch adapters) can reduce the tongue weight capacity / vertical load capacity of your vehicle’s receiver hitch. Extenders under 12” long reduce load capacity by 25%, and extenders over 12” reduce load capacity by 50%.
https://www.curtmfg.com/hitch-exten...general rule, the,reduce load capacity by 50%.

3. Can you post some pics? I'm having trouble envisioning the spare being in the way.

OP
OP
PatientlyWaiting

PatientlyWaiting

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

A couple thoughts:

1. Be careful shifting weight back. 10-15% on the tongue is recommended for safe highway speeds.

2. Extensions do increase the weight because they act like a lever.

https://www.curtmfg.com/hitch-extender-guide#:~:text=As a general rule, the,reduce load capacity by 50%.

3. Can you post some pics? I'm having trouble envisioning the spare being in the way.
Unfortunately, I don't have an pics. I keep the camper stored at my inlaws. I am taking it on a quick overnight next weekend to go through what I need for our larger trip during spring break. I will take some pics then.

Thanks for the link. Curt has a ball mount with a solid 13" shank. I think, I'm going to order one for next week's trip and see if that helps.

Rolandfj40

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr FE, Camry
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I went with a blue Ox track pro WDH, along with a quick release jack set up. Works well.

IMG_5231.jpeg

IMG_5232.jpeg
Sponsored