Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In New Hampshire no sales tax. We pay split fees for vehicles each year. There’s the town part which is based on the residual value of the vehicle And varies from town to town just like property tax and then the State part which most would call the registration fee. Neither is called a tax for obvious reasons.

Sponsored

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't have property tax on vehicles, but apparently I had an almost $600 new vehicle "privilege" tax from my ghetto ass city that got tacked on to my DMV registration fees at the dealer. You'd think I lived somewhere nice with a city collecting privilege tax on every new vehicle, but I have homeless shitting in my front yard 😑

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nothing in PA either but there is a sales tax.
We certainly do have "property tax" in PA, but is on buildings and land, not vehicles. It's how we fund schools and local municipalities.

Then we have 6-7% sales tax on vehicles when purchased or 9% on leases. Plus 3.7% state income tax to provide for the largest state legislature outside of California as well as if not highest, one of the highest gas taxes which is supposed to fund highways but it ends up in the general slush fund instead

VVSidewinderVv

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We don't have that in NY - they kill us in every other taxable way though.
In PA we pay extra tax on our gas which is supposed to go to repairing our roads and bridges. Turns out a huge portion has been going to the state police instead. Hence why we have shitty roads and collapsed/shitty bridges. Extra tax on alcohol too.

We just pay sales tax. 7% in Allegheny. And a registration fee every year as low as $60 and goes up based on vehicle class. $83 for class 2 which is most half ton trucks.

Last edited:

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait some states make you pay an annual property tax on the vehicle you own? Does that then not apply if you lease the vehicle? And how to they factor in depreciation? What a joke.
Why is that a joke? You must be smarter than most... right? Google it.

Sponsored

dallasobx

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Why is that a joke? You must be smarter than most... right? Google it.
Don’t want to break any of the no politics rules on here. But I legit had never heard of property taxes on a vehicle before this thread, the concept never crossed my mind.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No property Tax in AZ.

You pay sales tax based on the county and city. So I think I am saving about $300 by choosing a dealer in a lower tax city. I could save another $120 by driving all the way across town, but I'd probably spend at least half that much in gas.

Vehicle license and registration is based on age and presumably value of vehicle. My wife's new F-150 was $465 including $25 for the personalized plate.

Sticker on the 150 was $42k as I recall.

Since I still don't have a Bronco, I don't know what mine will be, but it ought to be around $320 on my base based on the sticker difference between a Base Bronco and an F-150 STX
The “property tax” you speak of is collected in the form of your vehicle license tax on your registration, you are still paying in the form of the $465 on your F-150. I moved from AZ to MA in 2020. I did an analysis and was surprised to find that the net cost to buy and register a vehicle in Taxachusetts was actually lower than Free America AZ. Sales tax was the biggest difference at MA 6.25% to Flagstaff at 9.18%, but the MA excise tax drops more aggressively than AZ’s VLT, the break even point isn’t until 10 years in. MA registration fees are $120 with 10% excise tax forever, AZ registration and VLT get down to $18 after a while so older cars are cheaper in AZ.

I just got a property (excise) tax bill on my Badlands, $608 for 2022. They charged me the 50% for some reason, so I’ll pay more next year.
E3AE6010-AC9F-4032-86B8-EDF48BA8B135.jpeg

This is a VLT calculator for AZ on a $47,035 Badlands.
BA7551A8-31DD-4C54-9569-3F1E33AA61AD.jpeg
Sponsored