Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Alright, I'm new to the game but did the NH off roadeo so have a basic understanding of what this beast can do. To set the stage for my list of expected purchases - I vacation with the fam (wife, 2 small kids, 2 larger dogs) in northern ME and around NE and am excited to get out there and explore like never before. Almost all of my exploring will be just my rig - no safety buddies - and day or single overnight trips (don't need to make an overland rig). This will be, by far, the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased and don't have a history of spending $ for auto accessories. Just hard to justify spending additional thousands on a vehicle with a family and house built in 1780 that always needs work.

With that said, after being a long time follower of this forum, I know there will be some things I legitimately need and some things I want. Here is my initial ongoing list that, with feedback from you pro's, I hope to update. I'll be running a BD, auto, MIC, SAS, 2.3. All in no particular order.

NEEDS:
  • Basic first aid kit
  • Basic recovery kit: shackles, straps, etc. (however not sure what should to be included)
  • Come-along (due to exploring alone)
  • Tire deflate/inflate capability
  • Recovery boards
  • Extra Storage; roof top carrier, enclosed hitch carrier, assorted molle bags, hooks for rear, possible spare tire-top carrier (always rolling with the fam)
  • Mud flaps (because SAS)
  • Map App (however don't think any are useful in ME, NH, VT - any feedback on these apps for these areas?) and paper map
  • Shovel, hand saw or small chainsaw
  • Torx plus bit set?
  • I assume a basic socket set and adjustable wrench?
WANTS:
  • Amber oracle light up letters; amber raptor lights for grill
  • Paint beauty rings to match rims
  • Satin wrap (however, worried about longevity)
  • Rear waterproof seat covers (kids and all)
  • Front Camera - if we get into wheeling (don't want wife or me always needing to get out & spot every little thing)
  • OEM running boards - I'm 5'9" and rest of fam are girls...
  • Blacked out US Flag on rear windows
  • Rust proofing??
If anyone has specific suggestions on value-conscious gear, I'm all ears!
Sponsored

Pharaoh Edge

Badlands
First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Coming from working in the Field on people in critical condition, it would be amazing to have a tourniquet in your first aid bag. This would be the more important thing to have in the first aid kit and is a cheap tool. Also if you have a HSA you can use it on supplies.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the want list (bling) is just up to your taste, front camera aside there's nothing in there I'd want, the other list covers most things, not sure you need recovery boards, but I don't know what things look like where you are, here it's always dry and I hate mud, would only need them for sand. I will get the kind you can fold up.

If you go alone, do not forget some kind of communication device, if you are out of cellphone reach or even think you might be, get a satellite communication device like a Garmin inreach or similar. I consider that absolutely essential. I will have my phone, a GMRS radio or two (one hand held, one installed) and an InReach with me when out alone, you never know what can happen. Always tell people where you're going and don't decide down the trail that that left turn you didn't know about looks interesting, stay on the trail you said you'll be on. Even with sat communication or at least let people know you changed your plan. Just in case you knock yourself out on a slick rock.

Basic recovery kit also depends a bit on your area and the terrain, one or two shackles, a tow strap, tree saver, snatch block, come along/hand winch, what ever the weight sacks are called you hang over the strap in case it rips. If you use the come along and are really stuck, it's also best to re-route the tow rope, from Bronco to tree and at a good angle to an other tree where you attach the winch. I do not want to be anywhere near a rope under tension if it rips. I'm sure others can chime in there more as I'm relatively new to this as well, but those are the things I plan to have. You can even buy ready made sets from different manufacturers, from non name to overpriced ARB, I'd go somewhere in the middle there.

Also several flashlights and batteries, gloves, a tarp for the floor in case you have to crawl under the rig in the mud, depending on climate warm clothing or blanket(s) and enough snacks and water for at least a day longer than you plan to be out. A water filter is also good to have if there are clean water sources like a lake or stream.

There are also great helpful youtube videos about this, including instructions on how to use all these things safely, quick search should give you lots of good results and it's helpful to see these things in action.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

oh, as for the apps, I have Gaia, OnXoffroad, AllTrails, iOverlander, TopoUSA and OverlandBound on my phone, still figuring out which one to use and which to keep, not many trails near me. Most if not all allow you to download a map of the area you want to explore, so you won't need cell signal in the wild, very useful. I like redundancy, so I have these on my phone and ipad and bring both, in case one breaks. And hopefully we'll see the off road app in the Bronco one of these days, though I don't know if that's gonna be available on all trims or only the higher ones or tied into one of the packages like mid etc.
Very useful to have, essential IMO. paper map is great if you know how to read it out in the wild, never runs out of batteries. Might want to add a compass in case the phone goes empty.

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you go alone, do not forget some kind of communication device, if you are out of cellphone reach or even think you might be, get a satellite communication device like a Garmin inreach or similar. I consider that absolutely essential. I will have my phone, a GMRS radio or two (one hand held, one installed) and an InReach with me when out alone, you never know what can happen.
This.

and especially
Always tell people where you're going and don't decide down the trail that that left turn you didn't know about looks interesting, stay on the trail you said you'll be on. Even with sat communication or at least let people know you changed your plan. Just in case you knock yourself out on a slick rock.
Oh, and more water than you think. Like double it. And if your wife is like mine, spare snacks. And more spare snacks. And maybe even vacuum seal a third set behind a fender in case things go real bad...

Sponsored

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For recovery straps there are basically two different kinds for different purposes. A tow strap is just that for towing, don't use for yanking...hard. A recovery strap or snatch strap is for yanking a stuck vehicle out, the strap/rope has some flex in it, don't use for towing.

Rolling solo...its generally frowned upon, but I do it on the regular. My take on that is can I hike my ass out of here and do I have the supplies to do so (basically my backpacking gear, water purification should be on your list remember the rules of 3). I carry GPS comms for SHTF situation, old SPOT one way comm but will probably move to Garmin inReach. I use gaiagps on phone and a dedicated garmin device also usually have paper maps and spare batteries/chargers.

Tools...basic hand tools. Socket set (double up on common sizes for both bolt and nut), torx, torx plus, breaker bar, various screw drivers, wrench set, adjustable wrench, socket extensions, 5lbs hammer, baling wire, vise grips, gloves, fluid clean up kit (kitty litter), C-clamp, wire brush, spare fuses, jumper cables or jumper pack charged, electrical tape, spare tie rod...

Always a great resource for noobs https://treadlightly.org/

OP
OP
Maineah

Maineah

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great advice everyone! I really appreciate it. The stuff really seems to pile up...I know what I'm getting for Christmas, birthdays, anniversary, etc. for the foreseeable future...We're mostly looking for remote fishing spots via old logging roads in northern ME but want to explore the unmaintained roads in NH and VT as well. Will start to build up the gear & supplies!

This is why the 6g community is so awesome.

KDTX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go solo, the most important thing you need is "A Plan" and to tell people where you are going before you set off. Everything else is gravy!

Koz44

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is a basic tool set that comes with the Bronco with some of the tools and standard torx bits you'll need but you'll definitely need Torx+ bits based on our experience here as discussed on other threads. You'll also likely need much more so maybe wait to see what's in that and then add as needed? I am not a tool guy and I already have added multiple items like torx+ bits and sockets that I needed to install my Yakima roof platform.

Sponsored

projectrally

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 RF / Factory Five 818 / 2018 CX-5 GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Get a Maine Atlas and Gazetteer. None of the apps show much in New England.
Where in Maine are you?

Alfabeast

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Giulia Q4 Sport Ti, 1983 Alfa GTV6 2.5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Coming from working in the Field on people in critical condition, it would be amazing to have a tourniquet in your first aid bag. This would be the more important thing to have in the first aid kit and is a cheap tool. Also if you have a HSA you can use it on supplies.
Also blood clot compression bandage. Hoping you never need it.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When we lived up north and left town in the winter, we had blankets/sleeping bags a little food and water. Also had a coffee can with matches candles and a toilet paper/alcohol heater in another coffee can. A toilet paper/alcohol heater can be burned in a car but OPEN THE WINDOW A LITTLE WHEN BURNING THE HEATER.

ColoradoKid26

Badlands
First Name
Naughty Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badsquatch, 2022 F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A good basic tool kit goes a long way.
There is nothing worse than needing tools and having them break on you.

I'd add to the list-

- Duct Tape (Gorilla tape)
- Zip Ties
- JB weld
- A quart of oil, brake fluid, and anti-freeze
- 50ft of 550 paracord
- Baby wipes (tons of uses other than making deuce)
- Wool blanket

OP
OP
Maineah

Maineah

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Get a Maine Atlas and Gazetteer. None of the apps show much in New England.
Where in Maine are you?
I'm in S. Berwick. Always have a gazetteer in the car. That's actually what I usually use to get around but it has its limitations. We do most of our exploring in the Lincoln, Sysladobsis/West Grand Lake area.
Sponsored