Sponsored

What ever happened to the complete axles with different ratios they teased?

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I hope the 4.88 becomes available. I am going to hold out for that.

I am not looking forward to regearing the rear. 😬 I would most definitely screw that up. I am too cheap to pay someone. Much rather drop in the whole axle. Also a few of my plug welds are suspect.
Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a way to find out with our VIN what our Bronco was built with vis a vis gearing?

OP
OP
Tricky Mike

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will regear the rear, not sure some would pay enough for my m220 to offset the $500 in gears. Special bearings have been ordered and going to hold off on the rest of the rear parts till the front is here.
If you start with a 4.70 (you have 4.46 right now I presume) locked rear you'll get good money on resale to a self squatcher. Everything on car-part.com is 2-3k, which is nuts when they're only 2500 new from Ford.

For comparison sake Rubicon take outs regular get 5k+ a set, but their stock gearing blows so they still need to be regeared on top of the initial investment.

OP
OP
Tricky Mike

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Tricky Mike I figured my rear would sell well to a base manual looking for a rear locker. But that is at best $1500 in parts or what I would pay.
Oh yeah, I'd do 1500 all day to get a locker in a base for 1-2 hours of work. I've set up gears and it can go easy or it can take all day, bolting up a complete axle is worth something to avoid that.

Sponsored

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 5.38 was mentioned in a 74Weld portal thread today. Someone ordered it for a great price, but is guessing the order will be cancelled by the seller. Maybe it was @Snacktime? :unsure:

I gave 6th gear another chance Saturday...was trying to keep my RPM's low while nursing a cracked valve cover. Even at 80mph it sucks! I would love to pair the 5.38 with 38"/39" tires and see if 6th gear is any better.
Agreed. I really don't know why 6th(technically 7th) gear exists, it is useless in the bronco while rolling 35's

Last edited: