Sponsored

What ever happened to the complete axles with different ratios they teased?

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see 4.46 and 4.70 are currently available though Ford, but the 4.88 would sure be nice for another project I'm working on - $2500 for a new complete built axle is steal. Also I'm surprised the 5.13 rears aren't available to match the 5.13 front FDU which is available.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 140224.png
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They don't have the 4.88 available yet, but they do have 5.13 and 5.38 available.

Edit-- And for the rear axles you just have to buy aftermarket ring/pinion. Those are pretty easy to find. The front drive units are the hard part.

OP
OP
Tricky Mike

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They don't have the 4.88 available yet, but they do have 5.13 and 5.38 available.

Edit-- And for the rear axles you just have to buy aftermarket ring/pinion. Those are pretty easy to find. The front drive units are the hard part.
Any word on 4.88 ever being available or was it scrapped? I would be fine with 5.13 but buying an axle, then buying gears and setting them up erases all the benefits. I can't believe they don't offer a complete axle yet.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any word on 4.88 ever being available or was it scrapped? I would be fine with 5.13 but buying an axle, then buying gears and setting them up erases all the benefits. I can't believe they don't offer a complete axle yet.
And this is where I tag @LethalPerformance and walk away pretending I'm super smart. :cool:

I don't know truthfully, but Lethal Performance is a Ford Performance authorized dealer, and may be able to ask their Ford Performance contacts for info.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will be buying a set of 4.70s from lethal performance but I sure would be happier with 4.88s.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tricky Mike

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will be buying a set of 4.70s from lethal performance but I sure would be happier with 4.88s.
It makes a lot of sense to go lower than 4.70 if you're upgrading from 4.46. I'm honestly kind of disappointed in the 7MT/4.70/35s combo, I have abandoned 6th gear completely and both mileage and roll on power is much better now.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It makes a lot of sense to go lower than 4.70 if you're upgrading from 4.46. I'm honestly kind of disappointed in the 7MT/4.70/35s combo, I have abandoned 6th gear completely and both mileage and roll on power is much better now.
Agree 100% and never use 6th either. I got a rear axle, complete with 4.70 gears and locked, a front M210 with 4.70 gears and locked, half shafts, and the front drive shaft for $2500 from a badlands 4600 build. Can't complain too much for that price! All went into my black diamond. I need to sell my OG axle and front diff still.

I'll probably be doing 5.38's when my tires are toast and going to 38-39" tires. I'll be clearanceing my front m210, can't afford that ultimate front diff. Things are way overpriced these days...

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 5.38 was mentioned in a 74Weld portal thread today. Someone ordered it for a great price, but is guessing the order will be cancelled by the seller. Maybe it was @Snacktime? :unsure:

I have abandoned 6th gear completely and both mileage and roll on power is much better now.
Agree 100% and never use 6th either.
I gave 6th gear another chance Saturday...was trying to keep my RPM's low while nursing a cracked valve cover. Even at 80mph it sucks! I would love to pair the 5.38 with 38"/39" tires and see if 6th gear is any better.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm honestly kind of disappointed in the 7MT/4.70/35s combo, I have abandoned 6th gear completely and both mileage and roll on power is much better now.
Ah, I was wondering about that the other day after I got my transmission replaced due to the grinding fun. I intend to eventually bump up to 35s once my stock KO2s wear out. 4.70 is perfect for the 33s on my stock Badlands—6th gear makes a great cruising gear for the interstate. So, yeah, I can see how for 35s it would be less than ideal.

So... that means 4.88 probably. I was contemplating moving to 5.13 for awhile, which obviously would be great for off-roading, but afraid the 1st gear would be too "short" for everyday driving.

OR... maybe 5.38 and just start in 2nd gear for everyday driving like the pickups of old. :cool:

OP
OP
Tricky Mike

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah, I was wondering about that the other day after I got my transmission replaced due to the grinding fun. I intend to eventually bump up to 35s once my stock KO2s wear out. 4.70 is perfect for the 33s on my stock Badlands—6th gear makes a great cruising gear for the interstate. So, yeah, I can see how for 35s it would be less than ideal.

So... that means 4.88 probably. I was contemplating moving to 5.13 for awhile, which obviously would be great for off-roading, but afraid the 1st gear would be too "short" for everyday driving.

OR... maybe 5.38 and just start in 2nd gear for everyday driving like the pickups of old. :cool:
These 4 pots don't mind the revs, go deep!

My old 2.0L Duratec (that our 2.3 is based on) Focus would spin over 3k on the freeway in top gear and still get 40 mpg.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These 4 pots don't mind the revs, go deep!

My old 2.0L Duratec (that our 2.3 is based on) Focus would spin over 3k on the freeway in top gear and still get 40 mpg.
Yup I have a 2013 Ford Focus with the 2.0L and the MTX-75 trans sitting in my driveway behind the Bronco. That thing would love a 6-speed transmission—I think the Focus ST variant actually did have a 6-speed, but I can't remember if it has the same 2.0L or if it was a turbo'd engine.

But you're right, sits at 3000 RPM on the interstate and still gets 40-44 MPG.

OP
OP
Tricky Mike

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup I have a 2013 Ford Focus with the 2.0L and the MTX-75 trans sitting in my driveway behind the Bronco. That thing would love a 6-speed transmission—I think the Focus ST variant actually did have a 6-speed, but I can't remember if it has the same 2.0L or if it was a turbo'd engine.

But you're right, sits at 3000 RPM on the interstate and still gets 40-44 MPG.
I had a SVT with the HO N/A 2.0 (Zetec based I believe) and it had a 6spd. Really nice shifting trans too, a Getrag even. The ST has a turbo Duratec I'm pretty certain.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford performance has released the 5.13 & 5.38 m210 units. So you can bolt in lower gears in the front. I secured a 5.13 set for cheap, we will see what comes in the mail.

I wouldn't be afraid to gear the crap out of a 4 cylinder. Rpms are your friend.

OP
OP
Tricky Mike

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford performance has released the 5.13 & 5.38 m210 units. So you can bolt in lower gears in the front. I secured a 5.13 set for cheap, we will see what comes in the mail.

I wouldn't be afraid to gear the crap out of a 4 cylinder. Rpms are your friend.
What are you doing in the rear, regearing your current M220?

A complete drop in axle would be much more desirable, an hour to bolt it in then resell the stock axle for almost the full price. They need to get cracking.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What are you doing in the rear, regearing your current M220?

A complete drop in axle would be much more desirable, an hour to bolt it in then resell the stock axle for almost the full price. They need to get cracking.
I will regear the rear, not sure some would pay enough for my m220 to offset the $500 in gears. Special bearings have been ordered and going to hold off on the rest of the rear parts till the front is here.
Sponsored