Sponsored

What exactly is the High-level Instrument Panel ??

parropski

Big Bend
First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Back with this question.
If you read carefully the higher trims (OBX, BL, WT) have something called "high-level instrument panel" as standard equipment.
I've asked both here and at FordNation in the past, without a clear answer.
Anyone has any concrete answers on this elusive feature?
Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Back with this question.
If you read carefully the higher trims (OBX, BL, WT) have something called "high-level instrument panel" as standard equipment.
I've asked both here and at FordNation in the past, without a clear answer.
Anyone has any concrete answers on this elusive feature?
The consensus is that it doesn't refer to the Instrument Panel at all...but it means you get a soft touch and textured dashboard.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The consensus is that it doesn't refer to the Instrument Panel at all...but it means you get a soft touch and textured dashboard.
I know that was the thought that people landed on, and I'm holding out hope that is actually true.

I'm also prepared to lose a bunch of the cool screen options that were shown in the KOH videos on my BD so I'm not disappointed if it is actually related to screen options, etc.

When it comes to Ford... there has been zero clarification on this.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know that was the thought that people landed on, and I'm holding out hope that is actually true.

I'm also prepared to lose a bunch of the cool screen options that were shown in the KOH videos on my BD so I'm not disappointed if it is actually related to screen options, etc.

When it comes to Ford... there has been zero clarification on this.
I have a hard time believing it refers to the dashboard. Just doesn't make sense to me. Betting we won't find out until after Bronco deliveries begin.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Unfortunately it doesn't seem like we are going to figure this out before its released. I will say in the automotive engineering world "IP" refers to where the instrument cluster is located. The gauges themselves are usually referred to simply as a "cluster". My 3 theories are.

1. They are using the term IP correctly, and there is something "nicer" about it that we have not yet realized.

2. They are using it incorrectly to refer to the instrument cluster, and despite all shown trims having an identical cluster they have detuned them in some trims to be assholes and try to create perceived value in higher trims.

3. Either 1 or 2 was originally the case, but because of supplier issues or deciding not to be assholes, there is no actual difference in the IP or Cluster. Also, in classic Ford fashion, no one who monitors this stuff actually knows enough about the Bronco and what's going on with its development no notice and change it.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm still thinking it is that Bring Your Own Widget rail.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My theory.....Ford isn't going to be able to add the High level instrument panel for MY21. They have said nothing about it and they continue to say nothing about it. They have been asked and will not answer. If I get OBX or higher and it ends up being a "soft touch" dash, on an off road vehicle that gets filthy, instead of an all digital instrument cluster I would be PISSED. There is a sever mark up going up to the higher levels and if all that you get is the painted door handles and mirrors, thats not cool.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a hard time believing it refers to the dashboard. Just doesn't make sense to me. Betting we won't find out until after Bronco deliveries begin.
I did too. I argued with people that there was no way Ford would misuse such common terminology....but they do refer to the dash as the instument panel in one of the Ford videos (materials video I believe). So I think I was wrong.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did too. I argued with people that there was no way Ford would misuse such common terminology....but they do refer to the dash as the instument panel in one of the Ford videos (materials video I believe). So I think I was wrong.
Yeah, but the materials video could have easily passed as a parody done by B6G members. :LOL:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Back around the "It's a steal" regarding the 2.7L/10sp Auto combo fiasco, I searched through a bunch of videos to try and find the evidence. But in the search, there were multiple engineers in differing videos that consistently referred to the entire dashboard as an Informational Panel (IP). When referring to the actual guages, they referred to them as Information Cluster. Back in the fall, we saw the hard plastic and soft touch IPs on differing FrankenBroncos. The theory at the time was that the HLIP was going to be the soft touch IP along with the ability to mount the BYOD rail. LUX, of course, adds the usb ports on the top.

There was mention at the end of December that the designers were still unsure as they wanted to add a soft touch IP across all trims. So beyond trying to connect the dots based on how the engineers refer to terminology, we really have no clear answer.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, but the materials video could have easily passed as a parody done by B6G members. :LOL:
The IP terminology was repeated by designers (not Missy's crew) and engineers in differing videos. It goes against what we refer to as a dashboard, but for different individuals refer to the same terminology at different times lends credence to the IP as being the entire dashboard.

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The new name for a dashboard? Information panel is the cluster information area and center screen area.

We have clearly seen two different dash textures.

Also, I hope the earlier poster is right and the HLIP includes the area for the BYOD rail. I'll be bummed if there's no attachment provisions in the 2021 dashes.

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also, I could swear I saw an early bronco walk around video that showed a different cluster. It was a smaller screen with an analog gauge on both sides on the screen. I cannot find it at all now. I must be remembering wrong.

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm still hoping it means we get an all digital cluster like the F-150 because that thing is sexy. The current pre-production Bronco one is ugly as a mule's ass.
Sponsored