Sponsored

What is everyone using for Comms equipment?

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious what everybody is using for commo
Sponsored

PAULWESTSKI

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 F350 PSD, 05 Excursion PSD, VW-TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd recommend GMRS.
You have to get a license, but it's just a fee, apply online and is valid for your entire family.
You can get a mobile GMRS for your rig up to 40 watts. It's FM so it is a much better sound than CB radio.
MXT400 MICROMOBILE®TWO-WAY RADIO

I run a 2 meter/70cm ham radio, a GMRS and a CB.......more antennas than a Russian fishing trawler.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah..just picked up a Midland MTX275 because it has all the controls in the actual hand mic.

The only downside (and maybe there is a hack) but it doesn't have the channels used for FMRS. I just happened to luck out and find out that the Midland has 1 frequency that my BF hand walkies happen to have and got it to work.

..oh one more thing. The FCC website(s) used to get your GMRS license has to be one of the most convoluted, and over complicated process I've ever seen. You have to created a log in on one system, so that you can acces another systems, in order to use the 3rd system to get your call sign.

There are some step by step online walkthroughs specific to GMRS that help.

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ll put this option right here. Use it, or don’t. But I think this radio is perfect for off-road comms. Used it for over 13 years personally and professionally.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Keep in mind, radios are 2 way. Who are you talking to and what do they have? GMRS is getting more prevalent but it's still dependent on others around you. I think there may be some GMRS units with the FRS frequencies de-tuned to match the power requirements, maybe just handhelds though?

HAM of course is a overall richer system, but a steeper learning curve and higher barrier to entry. Can do a lot of things with HAM (APRS, digital, lots of repeaters, etc), but it can be overkill for the casual off-road weekend warrior (unless you want to go down the nerd rabbit hole...). HAM radios don't (true HAM Radios) broadcast on any of the GMRS or FRS frequencies, nor the Business Band Frequncies (they can be modified to do these, and marine too in some cases)

A lot of the Power Toys bois use the Race Radios. These are business bands radios that are unlicensed. Race Radios recently got in trouble for this and now have licenses for specific frequencies (channels) in specific areas.

And of course everyone's favorite Chinesium handheld radio, Baofeng. They can be programed to transmit on almost any of the 2mtr and 70cm frequencies, legal for your license or not, including GMRS and FRS. Small, handheld, cheap. Being handheld of course you won't have the output power of a mobile unit, but you could always add and external antenna with a mag-base which does help. I carry a couple extra of these for people in the group that don't have radios so they can listen in, and also for spotting, etc. Very handy

Sponsored

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base

wilmerfjohnson

First Edition
First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My question is - WHERE are my fellow Bronco peeps mounting radios? I want an CB because, well, I am a child of the 70s when CB was hot. I can figure out the antenna on my own. I like the GMRS option for hitting the trails with friends, but I think that will require me buying all the equipment and loaning it out for the trail day. I also want a basic FM scanner and weather radio. It is a big list, and a huge equipment stack. I don't want my Bronco looking like the interior of a police cruiser. Has anyone who has a Bronco found a good spot for a radio stack?

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll put this option right here. Use it, or don’t. But I think this radio is perfect for off-road comms. Used it for over 13 years personally and professionally.
Is that legit US military issue?

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm waiting for the Midland MXT575, a 50 watt version of the 275. Also coming soon is the MXT500, a 50 watt version of the 400. They're supposed to be out this month.

Sponsored

WillisC’onnors

Base
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Super cheap Uniden PRO505XL and a Firestik kit from Right Channel

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another vote for the Baofeng UV5R. Cheap, stupid simple to program and can work with a host of other frequencies/bands. Now, the radio is limited (by regulation) by FCC to listen only……. Take that as you will.

My UV5R’s are programmed with the Rugged Radio frequencies, GMRS, FRS, police scanning, fire scanning, search and rescue scanning, etc.

Rugged Radios got dinged by the FCC for selling (rebranding) radios that weren’t listed by the FCC to be able to transmit on certain frequencies. They carry a business band license for frequencies. Certain are higher powered than others and are only licensed in specific areas. Their new radios take a specific cord and program (paid) to program.

I’ve got a couple Rugged’s and several UV5R’s that are all programmed for the same frequencies.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another vote for the Baofeng UV5R. Cheap, stupid simple to program and can work with a host of other frequencies/bands. Now, the radio is limited (by regulation) by FCC to listen only……. Take that as you will.
Yeah, for full disclosure's sake: you cannot legally do anything but listen, and you are unable to use if for anything other than ham frequencies. So no talking, no GMRS, no FRS. Nothing but ham and you need a license to operate. If you have a ham license, you can still legally only use it for ham frequencies.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, for full disclosure's sake: you cannot legally do anything but listen, and you are unable to use if for anything other than ham frequencies. So no talking, no GMRS, no FRS. Nothing but ham and you need a license to operate. If you have a ham license, you can still legally only use it for ham frequencies.
Exactly. Can legally program to LISTEN to anything.
Sponsored