Sponsored

What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow?

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not up to speed with towing as I know it gets into how many people are in the Bronco, luggage, tongue weight, etc. It shows the towing capacity for the 2.7L slightly lower than the 2.3L because of the engine weight, but I have a feeling if I was driving up I-70 in Colorado through the mountains I would rather have the 2.7L.

I do not have a travel trailer yet and trying to decide what options my Bronco has for towing, and if I should get tow attached or maybe save money and drop tow and the 2.7L and get used tacoma or something for towing(where I can throw gas can and generator in the bed, etc.). I would just really like to find a good option for the Bronco that works, without going with a raptor(BL 2D 2.7L non-sas max tow 3460).

Is towing an Airstream basecamp 16 an option?

Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries)410
Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)2,650

What about a Basecamp 20? - Will this work if I keep all supplies in back of my Bronco?

Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries)500
Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)3400

Bambi 22 - Is there anyway possible to pull this without a raptor? Maybe leave girlfriend at home and take no luggage?

Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)3,900

I have seen some people say never tow 5 lbs more than your maximum, and others say as long as you keep it pretty close and drive slower, or not at all when windy, etc. you can go a little higher. Any feedback is appreciated. If there are several people saying do not go above a Basecamp 16, that helps tremendously. I just do not know if the the limiting factor is the turbo-charged engine, the suspension, or the weight of the trailer starting to push the Bronco around too much, etc.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The limiting factor on the Bronco is the suspension and how the hitch connects to the back of the vehicle. It's designed for off-road use, not for overall vehicle stability while towing.

It is definitely not the powertrain, if that is the concern. The 2.3L EcoBoost on the Explorer tows 5300 lbs, and on the Ranger it tows up to 7500 lbs. And the 2.7L EcoBoost on the F-150 tows up to 10,000 lbs. It's not the transmission either, the same transmission is on the Explorer with that 5300 lbs tow rating.

I do think you'll be happier with a 2.7L engine while towing, BUT... I personally went with the 2.3L engine because I wanted to maximize my payload/towing capacity as much as possible. The big issue with the Bronco—particularly the upper trims such as the Badlands, is the GVWR and curb weight. So much weight has been added to the Bronco with the skid plates, rock rails, steel bumpers, etc. that the payload is extremely low compared to other mid-sized SUVs. Badlands 4-door only has a payload of 1,070 lbs. with the 2.7L engine. That's practically nothing. If you got a family of 4 averaging... say... 130 lbs each, you got only 550 lbs left for the rest of your gear. So there are some real limits into how much you can take out of the trailer and put into the Bronco itself.

There are travel trailers that fit within the towing limit of the Bronco, some of them you've already mentioned (such as the Airstream 16). But in my opinion none of them are actually any good—and at some point a travel trailer gets so small that it isn't even worth it. If my travel trailer is the size of a closet, then I'm not going to want to spend any time in it outside of sleeping. So why buy a tall travel trailer that blows around in the wind and kills my fuel economy?? I rather buy something more nimble, compact, and better off-road.

In my opinion, there are really three viable options on the Bronco:
  • Tow a teardrop trailer, like the Escapod
  • Tow a popup tent, like the Forest River Flagstaff
  • Tow an expedition style trailer, like those made by Turtleback, Patriot, etc.
Personally I'm going with an expedition-style trailer with rooftop tents. One of the trailer, one on the Bronco itself.

---

Anyway, as far as safely towing over weight... eh... it's a slippery slope. I personally would feel comfortable towing a few hundred pounds overweight on the Bronco. I certainly cannot recommend others do it, and should I be involved in a car crash while driving my Bronco overweight there are real liability issues that could pop up as a result. But I'm just telling you what I would feel comfortable doing.

Last edited:

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you'll most likely have to go away from most enclosed trailers.

My Schutt Industries X-Venture XV-2 weighs 1200lb because it is all aluminum and no structure welding instead using huck bolts to hold everything together much better then welding. It does have a 22-gallon water tank, a propane tankless water heater, a sink with hot and cold water as well as a shower head connection with combined hot and cold water, it has propane quick hook-ups for stove and heaters. It has a tonneau cover over the bed and the risers have struts so you can quickly raise. It's stout in that is GWR is 3500lbs and it's even rated to be airlifted by tow hooks on it's frame. It also has a fridge, 3 agm batteries with a 1500watt inverter and lighting all around. A platform to mount your RTT, Awning and for storage. It's has 13 inches of ground clearance, power brakes and you can Raise the platform and fit two motorcycles in the bed or a small utv. Overall I found it to be the best comprise of light weight, having desirable features and being able to use it for hauling stuff.

k%20and%20Trailer%20at%20Oklahoma%20Rest%20Area-XL.jpg

13%20back%203%20quarter%20view%20of%20X%20cover-XL.jpg

h%2020%20close%20up%20of%20trailer%20and%20tent-XL.jpg

IMG_0892-XL.jpg

IMG_0897-XL.jpg

IMG_0898-XL.jpg

IMG_0903-XL.jpg

IMG_0530-XL.jpg

xventure-XL.jpg

IMG_0388-XL.jpg

IMG_0177-XL.jpg

IMG_0174-XL.jpg

As soon as I get the brake controller installed in my Bronco. I'll let you know how the 2.3l manual transmission does towing it.

bronco_billy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crown Vic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am not up to speed with towing as I know it gets into how many people are in the Bronco, luggage, tongue weight, etc. It shows the towing capacity for the 2.7L slightly lower than the 2.3L because of the engine weight, but I have a feeling if I was driving up I-70 in Colorado through the mountains I would rather have the 2.7L.

I do not have a travel trailer yet and trying to decide what options my Bronco has for towing, and if I should get tow attached or maybe save money and drop tow and the 2.7L and get used tacoma or something for towing(where I can throw gas can and generator in the bed, etc.). I would just really like to find a good option for the Bronco that works, without going with a raptor(BL 2D 2.7L non-sas max tow 3460).

Is towing an Airstream basecamp 16 an option?

Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries)410
Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)2,650

What about a Basecamp 20? - Will this work if I keep all supplies in back of my Bronco?

Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)3400

Bambi 22 - Is there anyway possible to pull this without a raptor? Maybe leave girlfriend at home and take no luggage?

Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)3,900

I have seen some people say never tow 5 lbs more than your maximum, and others say as long as you keep it pretty close and drive slower, or not at all when windy, etc. you can go a little higher. Any feedback is appreciated. If there are several people saying do not go above a Basecamp 16, that helps tremendously. I just do not know if the the limiting factor is the turbo-charged engine, the suspension, or the weight of the trailer starting to push the Bronco around too much, etc.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/broncos-pulling-trailers-pics-add-yours.40583/post-1650705
^^^
This

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO don't look at the base weight, look at the GVWR, because you're going to load it up. Most every trailer with a 5 lug single axle is going to be an acceptable weight.

Next thing to look at is length and height. A big wind sail will not be enjoyable to tow with a Bronco.

Out of your given options I would only consider the Basecamp 16.

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks guys - I think I should probably debate between the A214HW pop up with bathroom that fits in garage, nuCamp with bathroom that fits in garage, or the Basecamp16. Basecamp would have to sit outside year round, even when not being used. I would mostly boondock with Li-Ion batteries and deal with heat, etc. but not sure how the Bronco can haul a generator and 5 gallon gas can along with the trailers, which is what you would want with anything decent that you can work out of with starlink attached. It feels like if you want to go Basecamp route, you are probably better off spending a little more and getting a truck that can haul more and little bit nicer trailer like a bambi 22, etc. If you do not want to go Basecamp route, then I would want to spend less and just have something I can sleep in and fits in garage

If anyone knows of any other good campers that fit in garage that they like please post.

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The TinyCamperCo and Flagstaff E-Pro 12SRK are not bad options at all for cheaper price. If I can throw my bikes and folding chairs in there while towing, with awnings and fits in garage as well for not that much money is not that bad of an option.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once you start down the camper/trailer path you will realize that you can use a trailer like @emulous74 posted above .... or can get a small utility trailer to haul your garden mulch with and that's about it.

Above that, if you are being realistic, you'll just get a truck that can actually tow a reasonable offroad camper and all your gear .... safely.....and easily.

My best plan at the moment, for me, is tent camping and using a small rugged utility trailer rolling on 33's. Since the sleeping quarters will be so light, I should be able to haul all kinds of gear in the trailer if I so choose.

Note: I'm also dealing with a 2 dr with next to zero cargo space if I take the wife, kid and a dog with. (80lb German Shep)

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Above that, if you are being realistic, you'll just get a truck that can actually tow a reasonable offroad camper and all your gear .... safely.....and easily.
Before you know it you're this guy but with a Bronco on the back.

Screenshot_20230217-213037.png

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Before you know it you're this guy but with a Bronco on the back.

Screenshot_20230217-213037.png
Two-foot-itis ... boats and campers.

Edit:
One of my favorites was a loong flat bed fiver,,, they took the axle off of a pop up camper and set the camper frame/box right up against the gooseneck at the front of the trailer. The sleeper slide outs would slip right over the gooseneck. Still had room for one or two Broncos behind it.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of my favorites was a loong flat bed fiver,,, they took the axle off of a pop up camper and set the camper frame/box right up against the gooseneck at the front of the trailer. The sleeper slide outs would slip right over the gooseneck. Still had room for one or two Broncos behind it.
I've seen setups like that. Pretty slick. I'm kind of over setting up pop ups though.

Mobius

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am resisting a Logan Coach toy hauler. Think horse trailer built to swallow a Bronco.
Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? 5dbe4b1c5ad64f8447834af5_ultimate_gn_xt-p-800

No more leaky cheap rubber roofs...

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I do not have a travel trailer yet and trying to decide …
…

Any feedback is appreciated. If there are several people saying do not go above a Basecamp 16, that helps tremendously. I just do not know if the the limiting factor is the turbo-charged engine, the suspension, or the weight of the trailer starting to push the Bronco around too much, etc.
@VailDan
I played the “Take it to the limit” game for years, towing a trailer at 98% of tow vehicle capacity (including people & cargo). It was never fun and it aged the vehicle at an accelerated rate. Finally I upsized my tow vehicle such that I’m now at 60% of capacity and life is much better both for me and the tow vehicle. More control & confidence, and much better durability.

The Bronco is a great car - not really intended to be good & durable towing however.

(BTW I live very close to I-40 and recently observed a person towing a 16’ Bambi with their Bronco. The “oh shit” look I could on their face as they struggled with wind & hills spoke volumes.)
Sponsored

Last edited: