Sponsored

What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow?

OMTBiker

Outer Banks
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Tremor AMB | 2022 OBX SAS HPR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am not up to speed with towing as I know it gets into how many people are in the Bronco, luggage, tongue weight, etc. It shows the towing capacity for the 2.7L slightly lower than the 2.3L because of the engine weight, but I have a feeling if I was driving up I-70 in Colorado through the mountains I would rather have the 2.7L.

I do not have a travel trailer yet and trying to decide what options my Bronco has for towing, and if I should get tow attached or maybe save money and drop tow and the 2.7L and get used tacoma or something for towing(where I can throw gas can and generator in the bed, etc.). I would just really like to find a good option for the Bronco that works, without going with a raptor(BL 2D 2.7L non-sas max tow 3460).

Is towing an Airstream basecamp 16 an option?

Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries)410
Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)2,650

What about a Basecamp 20? - Will this work if I keep all supplies in back of my Bronco?

Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries)500
Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)3400

Bambi 22 - Is there anyway possible to pull this without a raptor? Maybe leave girlfriend at home and take no luggage?

Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries)500
Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries)3,900

I have seen some people say never tow 5 lbs more than your maximum, and others say as long as you keep it pretty close and drive slower, or not at all when windy, etc. you can go a little higher. Any feedback is appreciated. If there are several people saying do not go above a Basecamp 16, that helps tremendously. I just do not know if the the limiting factor is the turbo-charged engine, the suspension, or the weight of the trailer starting to push the Bronco around too much, etc.
Those are all way over weight, tongue or dry weight. Always look at GVW for the trailer as dry weight means nothing.

I am sure I will get flack for this but the Bronco has a tow rating of 350 tongue/3500 Max (Raptor is 4500). When thinking of towing you need to look at more than those numbers. You need to factor everything into it like:

Payload
Tongue weight
GVW
GCVWR (Bronco and Trailer)
Frontal area

Tongue weight subtracts from payload, people subtract from payload, fuel subtracts from payload. A weight distribution hitch does not technically reduce tongue weight, it only redistributes the weights.

Example:
Payload on our Bronco is 915 lbs
People: 350
Cargo: 100
Fuel: 150
Trailer tongue weight: 350
Total: 950, already over payload.

Then take into consideration where you will be towing (terrain) and distance. It might tow fine on flat terrain or short distances but not tow well on hilly terrain or long distances. It is best to stay under 80% of tow rating loaded.

Here are some trailer options.

Intech RV:
Chase
Pursue
Luna

NuCamp:
Tag (standard or XL)
Maybe a Tab 320

Taxa Outdoors:
WoollyBear
Tiger Moth
Cricket

Bushwacker

Turtleback

Mission

Hiker Trailer

Bean

Escapod

Vestibule

Nobo:

GeoPro/EPro
12 series

Many different types of tear drop trailers.

Last edited:

Aharker21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What about this camper thoughts? xplore 165X it says dry weight 2500 talked to dealer and the GVWR was right at 3400 pretty much but figured i wouldnt have the tanks full so i could keep it lighter give or take a bit? Plus i figured the Hitch weight being about 90lbs lighter unlike some of the other ones this size?

Screenshot_20230222_202319_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230222_213504_Google.jpg

OMTBiker

Outer Banks
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What about this camper thoughts? xplore 165X it says dry weight 2500 talked to dealer and the GVWR was right at 3400 pretty much but figured i wouldnt have the tanks full so i could keep it lighter give or take a bit? Plus i figured the Hitch weight being about 90lbs lighter unlike some of the other ones this size?

Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? Screenshot_20230222_213504_Google

Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? Screenshot_20230222_213504_Google
Never go by the published (manufacturer) specs for weight, tongue or dry, I have never seen a trailer match the listed weights. Also, dry weight of 2500 and cargo capacity of 1260 is 3760, not the 3400 stated. I would ask the dealer to take a picture of the tag on the trailer that has the weights listed.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3 didn't have any issues towing my SxS (+/3,500lb total) however I had to position the wheeler rear-ward on the trailer to get some weight off the tongue. I wouldn't be afraid to tow another 1,000lbs but the 350lb tongue weight is critical IMO.
Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? Haulin

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've towed my friends FREESOLO a few times now. Don't even notice it while driving.

Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? IMG_7196

Peteduce

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 ND
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think for travel on cross country, camp sites and light trails. I'd go with a teardrop trailer, as it's more comfortable to sleep on and with in constraints. If you're planning on overlanding it be safer to have an off-road utility trailer. You can still load your bikes, have a bathroom set up, and other stuff to load.

20220902_142804.jpg

20220827_124750.jpg

Aharker21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Never go by the published (manufacturer) specs for weight, tongue or dry, I have never seen a trailer match the listed weights. Also, dry weight of 2500 and cargo capacity of 1260 is 3760, not the 3400 stated. I would ask the dealer to take a picture of the tag on the trailer that has the weights listed.
For sure i was at the dealer and the dry was closer to 2700 with options and i for sure wouldnt be carrying nearly that much cargo capacity also definitely not filled with water or grey/black water....

DrunkingtonBear

Base
First Name
Ryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I visited this facility while I was in Florida for work. https://www.tinycampercompany.com/ The company is veteran owned (I Believe). Everything is done from scratch and they're VERY accommodating with customization. If you can think of it, they'll try to build it. They do build a lot for more rugged application but I was really impressed and with a small team (5 or so folks), there is a lot of care and attention given to every build. Plus their weights are pretty low and their pricing seems reasonable.

Sponsored

OMTBiker

Outer Banks
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For sure i was at the dealer and the dry was closer to 2700 with options and i for sure wouldnt be carrying nearly that much cargo capacity also definitely not filled with water or grey/black water....
I know I probably sound like a negative nanny but that is not my intention. Have you checked to see what your payload, Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR), and frontal area are? The combined rating and frontal areas may be an issue and typically limit tow capacity to under the tow "rating".

At the end of the day, although the Bronco "can" tow, they are not good vehicles to tow. Been there, done that with our Wranglers that had the same tow rating as the Bronco. Quickly found out the lower the better for towing.

Intech Flyer Pursue:
This pulled great, 1800 dry with about 300 in gear, except for this model has a heavy tongue weight (at maximum tongue).
Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? 20190505_170324362_iOS

Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? 20190913_223654710_iOS

Intech Sol Dawn Rover:
The Wrangled pulled this "okay" for short distances, even better than the Gladiator, but really struggled on any hills and would push either around even with a WDH. 2800 dry with 300 tongue, 300 in gear. Had to weigh everything and keep it light to stay under payload. The Gladiator really struggled in the mountains, 3rd gear at 5500 RPM going 40MPH.

Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? 20200724_205135168_iOS

Taxa Outdoors Cricket:
Wrangler had no issue pulling this, 1800 dry and about 350 in gear.
Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? 20210806_232727034_iOS

We now have this, Taxa Outdoors Mantis 5.1 Overland:
3500 dry, the below photo is full loaded; both tanks full and about 350 in gear. Did not even know it was back there under any condition.
Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? IMG_0061

Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? IMG_0064

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We love our E-Pro 12RK:

Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? IMG_0840x.JPG

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Best is a relative term. My setup tows like it’s not even there. So “best” for me…

Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? F5B0BAA8-4745-4FBA-B9B7-A81808EECE77

Ford Bronco What is the best travel trailer a Bronco can tow? 86419E81-7126-493F-BA86-705A7D28AF8E
Sponsored